PDA

View Full Version : Is there an ammo shortage in the US at present.

Guymullins
02-07-2014, 16:15
My hunting partner and I went to buy some ammo today. .375 H&H and 30-06 for me and .300 WM and .416 Rig for him. We couldn't find any American ammo anywhere. Federal is usually freely available here, together with Remington and Winchester but there was nothing in stock. We were told that there were supply problems with the States. Anything happening over there we should know about?

The Reaper
02-07-2014, 17:27
My hunting partner and I went to buy some ammo today. .375 H&H and 30-06 for me and .300 WM and .416 Rig for him. We couldn't find any American ammo anywhere. Federal is usually freely available here, together with Remington and Winchester but there was nothing in stock. We were told that there were supply problems with the States. Anything happening over there we should know about?

Everything military sold out about a year ago.

Other calibers were in spot shortages.

Most calibers are back in stock, though prices are still working their way back down. Some people/companies paid panic prices and are still asking too much for their ammo.

.22LR is still in very short supply.

I can probably find everything but .30-'06 at a store nearby, and might be able to get that by now.

Check here for everything but the .416. http://www.gunbot.net/

Good luck.

TR

mojaveman
02-07-2014, 19:02
.22LR is still in very short supply.

And still don't understand why. I lucked out a few months ago and bought some at a decent price from Natchez but checked ammoseek the other day and it's a bill for 500 rounds of quality ammo. Ridiculous. :(

The Reaper
02-07-2014, 21:25
Because people who used to buy a box are now buying a case, when they find it.

People who were buying bricks are buying cases.

And you can't use any of the centerfire equipment to make rimfire, nor can you reload it yourself.

Speculators who have supplies are charging big money because people will pay it right now.

When the market is saturated, the prices will drop. Not before, unless you can control demand and human nature.

I just saw a major vendor today selling bricks of .22LR, I think it was Federal, for $19.38 for 525 rounds, which is $37/M or about $.037/round. The sold out just before I got there, but it means some people are still trying to sell ammo at reasonable prices.

TR

cbtengr
02-08-2014, 15:11
My local Walmart got about a dozen 525 round boxes of .22 LR in the other day, they were put on the shelf before 0630 and by 0650 1/2 of them had been sold at 23.97 per box. 3 box a day limit I got mine. They had not had any .22's for several months.
They seem to generally have a good supply of .45 and .40 and 9mm on hand. The white box Winchester .45 sells for 43.97 per 100 round box. Rifle ammo seems to be more scarce up this way. I have always thought Walmart was pretty fair with their pricing.

PSM
02-08-2014, 15:28
My local Walmart got about a dozen 525 round boxes of .22 LR in the other day, they were put on the shelf before 0630 and by 0650 1/2 of them had been sold at 23.97 per box

The Walmart stocker here, said that several guys would hang out waiting for the ammo case to be stocked, each buy the limit, then sell them at the weekly flea market at a huge mark up.

But, apparently, the Douglas, AZ, Walmart has had plenty of all ammo the whole time because their customers are mostly Mexican and they can't buy ammo and take it back to Mexico. Well, except from the ATF. ;)

Pat