PDA

View Full Version : Meyerco Blackie Collins Rifleman

BryanK
02-06-2014, 07:24
I was going to post this in the "edged weapons" forum, but this is more of a tool. I was wondering if any of you gents have used this before. I am considering ordering these for the LEO's I work with (I am designated supply bitch), and I am looking for pro's/con's of the design. On paper it looks like the cat's pajamas, but everything usually looks good on paper/websites. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Meyerco Blackie Collins Rifleman Knife (http://www.meyercousa.com/law-enforcement-militart/switchblades/meyercor-blackie-collins-riflemantm-knife-1.html)

Dusty
02-06-2014, 07:41
How often do your guys need a glass breaker/sight tool/case extractor/tanto point with serrated edge knife (with gift box)?

If the purchase warrants spending $149., I'd imagine it would be worth it.

DDD
02-06-2014, 08:02
Pretty pricey... As for the front sight tool, search the interweb for -rangemaster pen- you can pick them up for under 20 usd.

Team Sergeant
02-06-2014, 09:09
Hell I don't know anyone that is running iron sights these days....;)

BryanK
02-06-2014, 09:12
How often do your guys need a glass breaker/sight tool/case extractor/tanto point with serrated edge knife (with gift box)?

If the purchase warrants spending $149., I'd imagine it would be worth it.

Well, it's more of a "nice to have" item. To clarify, these LEO's work at the range with me, and it's only 7 people that I'd request purchasing for. This was my reasoning, however it may need an adjustment:

Glass breaking: To remove a trapped/incapacitated motorist from their vehicle in a roadside emergency in case the doors were locked and smoke/fire was present.

Sight tool: Range training evolutions.

Auto knife: EDC for whenever you need a knife.

Case extractor: Just in case. It does happen occasionally on washed out rifle, SAW, & 240 barrels. I also support military LE elements during training.

Fire starter: Who doesn't need a fire starter? :D

Pretty pricey... As for the front sight tool, search the interweb for -rangemaster pen- you can pick them up for under 20 usd.

Thank you for that. Seeing as I work in range operations/armorer duties, this will come in handy if the knives don't get approved.

My primary focus was to see if this is an expensive POS, or worth the $150.00. Also, I wanted to throw this tool out there to you guys in case any of you could use it and haven't seen it before. I saw it and immediately thought of it's uses out in the field or for training. Does anyone see value here, or is it more of a gimmick?

Dusty
02-06-2014, 09:14
Well, it's more of a "nice to have" item. To clarify, these LEO's work at the range with me, and it's only 7 people that I'd request purchasing for. This was my reasoning, however it may need an adjustment:

Glass breaking: To remove a trapped/incapacitated motorist from their vehicle in a roadside emergency in case the doors were locked and smoke/fire was present.

Sight tool: Range training evolutions.

Auto knife: EDC for whenever you need a knife.

Case extractor: Just in case. It does happen occasionally on washed out rifle, SAW, & 240 barrels. I also support military LE elements during training.

Fire starter: Who doesn't need a fire starter? :D It's made in the US, right?

Thank you for that. Seeing as I work in range operations/armorer duties, this will come in handy if the knives don't get approved.

My primary focus was to see if this is an expensive POS, or worth the $150.00. Also, I wanted to throw this tool out there to you guys in case any of you could use it and haven't seen it before. I saw it and immediately thought of it's uses out in the field or for training. Does anyone see value here, or is it more of a gimmick?

If you need the tools and it's worth the money to you, it has value.

BryanK
02-06-2014, 09:15
Hell I don't know anyone that is running iron sights these days....;)

We still zero with iron sights before optics, DON is funny that way :D

Leozinho
02-07-2014, 10:45
Pretty pricey given that it's a Meyerco (that I assume is made in China or Taiwan.) I think of Meyerco's as $15 flea market knives. But I haven't handled one in a long time so it might be much better.

I'd rather have $65 Spyderco Delica with a wave and a separate tool for the armorer functions.

BryanK
02-07-2014, 11:56
I hadn't seen them before, maybe that explains it. I appreciate the insight.

Peregrino
02-07-2014, 20:13
Get Leatherman MUTs for the same price and have something that's actually useful.

BryanK
02-10-2014, 05:42
I outfitted everyone with Gerber's with last year's funding. I've also purchased front sight tools, but I got a bad deal on that one and all the teeth have been bent. E-2's, 3's, and 4's can wreak havoc on some front sight tools, so I figured we could use something sturdy we can just clip inside a pants pocket or shirt (for our use only), and also have other functions. However, since DDD shared that tip on the rangemaster pen, we may end up getting those. I appreciate all the advice.