PDA

View Full Version : How A Simple New Invention Seals A Gunshot Wound In 15 Seconds

MtnGoat
02-03-2014, 19:08
Hey I know that Popular Science isn't the best source, F6. But this is cool and a great idea!

How A Simple New Invention Seals A Gunshot Wound In 15 Seconds

RevMedx recently asked the FDA to approve a pocket-size invention: a modified syringe that injects specially coated sponges into wounds. Called XStat, the device could boost survival and spare injured soldiers from additional pain by plugging wounds faster and more efficiently than gauze.

How A Simple New Invention Seals A Gunshot Wound In 15 Seconds

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/how-simple-new-invention-seals-gunshot-wound-15-seconds?src=SOC&dom=fb

uplink5
02-03-2014, 19:18
Very cool, it's amazing how sometimes the simplest things can make such a huge difference.

I hope proves to be one....

PRB
02-03-2014, 21:31
Makes sense, simple and I hope effective.

Richard
02-03-2014, 21:38
I was reading that today - so simple it's been beyond our ken until now. Amazing.

And so it goes...

Richard

PedOncoDoc
02-04-2014, 11:08
Looks like a great idea. A Couple of questions/comments. First the only real treatment for a GSW is surgery to repair the bleeding and damage, everything else is trying to buy time to get there. Second during surgery they will have to get ALL of those little sponges out. While in surgery they count in and out everything. With those it may be hard to tell how many and leaving one in is a big no no. Can they pick them up on the x-ray machine? I would like to hear from our resident MD's on this one.

The article states that each sponge has a radio-opaque "x" so they are readily apparent on plain films - should be an easy check to make sure everything's out that wasn't put in during surgery.

To ensure that no sponges would be left inside the body accidentally, they added X-shaped markers that make each sponge visible on an x-ray image.

Priest
02-04-2014, 18:59
saw this at SOCMSSC a couple years ago. Great "In action video". I had a lot of hope for it but haven't seen or heard anything about it. I know that USASOC RnD was looking at it.

PRB
02-04-2014, 19:06
Even if they didn't they'd probably still find them.
As a layman, but somewhat experienced, they lay open gunshot wounds pretty well to clean them out.
On a entry no exit they want to remove any major metal and bone frags so slice it open pretty good...then leave it open to drain. Close you up quite a bit later after lots of IV w/ antibiotics.
Even on thru and thru they get into it pretty deep for the same reasons...the scar is much bigger than the initial wound.
The little x's will make it fool proof.

swatsurgeon
02-04-2014, 19:21
Don't go buying stock yet, no clinical studies done yet and based on similar ideas tried in the past, there is not enough tamponade effect (radial pressure) by a non-dense sponge material....stay tuned.
We use similar substances in the operating room and they are weak at best under excellent operative circumstances

ss

sgi
02-19-2014, 17:13
I visited their booth at SHOT Show and watched the videos of this product taken during live tissue trials. It seems extremely effective and is being evaluated by JSOC.

ReconDoc242
02-27-2014, 12:57
Don't go buying stock yet, no clinical studies done yet and based on similar ideas tried in the past, there is not enough tamponade effect (radial pressure) by a non-dense sponge material....stay tuned.
We use similar substances in the operating room and they are weak at best under excellent operative circumstances

ss

You hit it on the head. On paper this looks like a great alternative, but the reality is that until some studies are released, its nothing more than a great idea on paper. Also one of the issues with expanding sponge material is that once they become fully soaked they tend to collapse on itself reducing the overall volume....therefore reducing its effectiveness.

Koldsteel
02-27-2014, 21:05

ss

Is it like some kind of expanding gel foam ?

letinsh
04-30-2014, 07:56
Just an update on this. Looks like they're in pre-production at this point, looking to have it on the battlefield later this year.
Looks like a QP by the name of John Steinbaugh is managing the project.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/army-vet-helps-develop-life-saving-device-treating-110915826--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

Habu-MFFI 175
04-30-2014, 12:39
Looks and sounds like a great idea. Anything that will save lives is a plus for me.

Brutus Fidus
12-10-2015, 14:39
The FDA just approved the XSTAT for civilian use.
Anyone thinking of adding this to their kit?

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm475810.htm

http://www.revmedx.com/