PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XLVIII Commercials

JJ_BPK
02-03-2014, 04:44
Denver sucked,,

BUT The commercials??

What was you favorite??

I am split between Oikos & both Budweiser

[url=http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/02/02/WATCH-Super-Bowl-XLVIII-Commercials}Link to Commercials[/url]

Trapper John
02-03-2014, 07:28
24! Jack Bauer and Chloe tick...tick...tick :D

Sdiver
02-03-2014, 09:27
Radio Shack .... because I AM a child of the 80's. :eek:

Greyone
02-03-2014, 09:50
An old friend submitted the video Time Machine for Doritos and won $1 million. He gets my vote.

mojaveman
02-03-2014, 10:12
Maybe I'm just getting older but it seems like the commercials keep getting weirder and weirder. The only one I liked was the Budweiser commercial.

Snaquebite
02-03-2014, 10:16
I don't drink Coke, but if I did they would have lost a customer.

Trapper John
02-03-2014, 10:22

Had the same effect on the XO. She's switchin' off diet Coke!

Snaquebite
02-03-2014, 10:28
Had the same effect on the XO. She's switchin' off diet Coke!

It could have much different effect if all the different ethnicities portrayed had sang in English...

Trapper John
02-03-2014, 10:33
It could have much different effect if all the different ethnicities portrayed had sang in English...

Yep, that's what really pissed her off. As for me, I've come to expect as much...advancing the PC agenda. Besides, I don't drink soda...it's bad fur ya and I have too many other vices. :D

The Reaper
02-03-2014, 10:39
It could have much different effect it all the different ethnicities portrayed had sang in English...

Exactly.

I think we will go with Pepsi products for a while.

F 'em.

TR

Airbornelawyer
02-03-2014, 11:36
Least favorite: Coca Cola, for the same reasons as you guys.
Runner-up: Oikos, inappropriate oral sex jokes in this venue.
Second runner-up: Doritos snot-nosed brat has to be bribed to help his mother unload the groceries

Favorite: Radio Shack, for all the 80s nostalgia, though I don't see this really upgrading their brand image.

Streck-Fu
02-03-2014, 11:42
Not too happy with the hypocrisy of turning down the Daniel Defense commercial with a stated reason being 'no guns' but then air a very gun centric '24' teaser.

'24' teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx__oqcTcUU

Denied advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLQxnOZmvc

Richard
02-03-2014, 11:58

I don't see the {Coca Cola} controversy. No matter what language it was sung in, the proper noun "America" remained untranslated and the message remained the same - a beautiful land for all who embrace its philosophical ideals, whether one is 'born' here or not. How many here sing "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht" (or some other such song) in English or some other language?

Plenty of proverbial 'mountains' out there to be tackled; I don't see this as one.

MOO.

Richard

FWIW - I don't watch pro-sports and watched "12 Angry Men" on TCM; great drama without the hyperbole.

Trapper John
02-03-2014, 12:54
I don't see the {Coca Cola} controversy. No matter what language it was sung in, the proper noun "America" remained untranslated and the message remained the same - a beautiful land for all who embrace its philosophical ideals, whether one is 'born' here or not. How many here sing "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht" (or some other such song) in English or some other language?

Plenty of proverbial 'mountains' out there to be tackled; I don't see this as one.

MOO.

Richard

FWIW - I don't watch pro-sports and watched "12 Angry Men" on TCM; great drama without the hyperbole.

Ahh the voice of Reason. But it's so much more fun to rant. Party pooper. :p

Snaquebite
02-03-2014, 13:18

MOO.

Richard

Unlike "America the Beautiful" (an American patriotic song), "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht" (a religious song) has been recorded by a large number of singers in different languages from around the world from every music genre.

Never heard "America the Beautiful" in any other version than English. (and don't want to)

mark46th
02-03-2014, 14:39
The best commercial of the day wasn't run during the Super Bowl. It was during the 'Incredible Dog Challenge' earlier in the day...

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/carmichael-lynch-introduce-the-barkleys-for-subaru_b59514

It is the one with the dogs...

Sigaba
02-03-2014, 15:35
My favorite commercial of the evening was Dylan's spot for Chrysler.

IRT the Coca-Cola spot that has generated so much controversy. Were the singers of "America the Beautiful" of different ethnicities or were they of different nationalities as well?

That is, was Coca-Cola celebrating America's multculturalism alone (which was nice enough), or was it also pointing out to an international audience that the world's favorite drink and a global cultural icon is from the United States of America?

Streck-Fu
02-03-2014, 16:05
My favorite commercial of the evening was Dylan's spot for Chrysler.

Meh....

That whole commercial seemed surreal....

Is there anything more American than America?....

Really,.....then Dylan starts promoting buy American when talking about a company that was bailed out by the government before being allowed to go into bankruptcy screwing the bond holders to favor the unions (counter to established bankruptcy laws) before selling the whole entity for pennies to Fiat....

Buy 'Merican indeed.

Disclosure: I own a 2005 Dodge and 2001 Jeep....

Advertise quality, features, innovation, performance, but Buy American rings hollow. Hell, Honda builds more cars here than in Japan....while Chrysler builds the 300, Challenger, and Charger in Canada....

Snaquebite
02-03-2014, 16:10
IRT the Coca-Cola spot that has generated so much controversy. Were the singers of "America the Beautiful" of different ethnicities or were they of different nationalities as well?

That is, was Coca-Cola celebrating America's multculturalism alone (which was nice enough), or was it also pointing out to an international audience that the world's favorite drink and a global cultural icon is from the United States of America?

1. Both
2. Should have chosen a different song..."We are the World" comes to mind.

What IS/WAS the point of singing "America the Beautiful" in other languages besides English?

Sigaba
02-03-2014, 17:25
What IS/WAS the point of singing "America the Beautiful" in other languages besides English?First, to sell a product. Second, to remind Americans of the song's original purpose.

Source is here (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/culturebox/2013/07/_god_bless_america_and_republicans_how_the_song_be came_an_anthem_of_conservatives.single.html).
The following is an excerpt from God Bless America: The Surprising History of an Iconic Song by Sheryl Kaskowitz, out now from Oxford University Press.

Irving Berlin was the master of writing songs with lyrics vague enough to become universal, and “God Bless America” may represent the pinnacle of this art. The lack of specificity in the song’s lyrics has allowed the song to embody multiple, sometimes contrary, points of view, with shifting meanings that depend upon who is singing and listening as well as upon the context of any given performance. Who is the “I” in “land that I love”? Who claims America as “my home sweet home”? What hardship is signified by “the night,” and in what direction does the country need to be guided? Whose god is being invoked?

In 1938, Berlin changed his original World War I–era lyrics from “guide her to the right” to “through the night,” because by 1938 “the right” had acquired associations with fascism. But the idea of a move “to the right” is quite relevant in looking at the changing meaning of “God Bless America” through time, as it began to be associated with increasingly conservative points of view.

In February 1991, during the final weeks of the first Iraq war, a man stood up to protest the war at the First Congregational Church in Kennebunkport, Maine, where President George H. W. Bush was in attendance. As he spoke, members of the congregation tried to drown out the protest by singing “God Bless America.” This church confrontation is an example of the song’s use as a means to silence dissent, becoming a virtual anthem for those who wanted things to stay exactly as they were.

But “God Bless America” didn’t always have such connections to conservatism. Just after its debut in 1938, the song was weighted with a subtext of religious, ethnic, and racial tolerance, as Irving Berlin’s immigrant success story connected the song to a burgeoning public appeal for ethnic and racial tolerance during the 1940s. And during the 1940 presidential campaign, both FDR and his Republican challenger Wendell Willkie adopted “God Bless America”—then at the height of its prewar popularity—as campaign theme songs. This bipartisan use followed the wishes of Irving Berlin, who wrote in July 1940, “no political party has the exclusive rights to the song ‘God Bless America.’ ”

The chameleon-like lyrics of “God Bless America” made it a powerful vehicle for a wide range of meanings during the 25 years after its debut. In its early years, the most common use of “God Bless America” within protest contexts served an anti-Communist message, likely drawing on the song’s invocation of religion and patriotism as a symbolic weapon against “Godless Communism.” A group of teenagers sang it to disrupt a Communist meeting in a downtown Milwaukee park in 1941, and in 1947 war veterans broke up a Communist party rally in Bridgeport by singing it. But “God Bless America” was also embraced as a protest song on the left during this period, sung by striking garment workers in Brooklyn in 1941, and by subway workers protesting a lockout in 1956. Civil rights activists also used the song frequently in the early 1960s. Within a two-day period in early summer 1963, young African-American students sang “God Bless America” at school segregation protests in Jackson, Miss., and Baton Rouge, La., hinting, perhaps, at a strategic, unified use of the song by the movement. After all, what could be threatening about schoolchildren, some as young as nine, peacefully singing that staple of elementary school music programs, declaring their love for God and country in support of their right to an equal education?

[...]

Excerpted from God Bless America: The Surprising History of an Iconic Song by Sheryl Kaskowitz, out now from Oxford University Press.

GratefulCitizen
02-03-2014, 17:37
Only select groups are allowed to be offended.
Everyone else should just bite their tongue and cough up money for the company that offends them.

Intolerant, ignorant rednecks.
Buy our product, or else we'll accuse you of being an even more intolerant, ignorant redneck.
:rolleyes:

The Reaper
02-03-2014, 17:39
First, to sell a product. Second, to remind Americans of the song's original purpose.

Source is here (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/culturebox/2013/07/_god_bless_america_and_republicans_how_the_song_be came_an_anthem_of_conservatives.single.html).

Interesting read.

In what language did Mr. Berlin write the song?

Look at the demographics of the Super Bowl TV audience and tell me if you think singing the song in multiple languages was beneficial to the product and its branding in that targeted demographic or not.

TR

Sigaba
02-03-2014, 18:21
Interesting read.

In what language did Mr. Berlin write the song?

Look at the demographics of the Super Bowl TV audience and tell me if you think singing the song in multiple languages was beneficial to the product and its branding in that targeted demographic or not.

TRTR--

AFIAK, Mr. Berlin wrote the song in English. IMO, it doesn't make a difference in which language a song celebrating America is sung.

As for evaluating the ad, based upon Coca Cola's web page, the spot is in accord with the corporation is attempting to accomplish in the global market place <<LINK (http://www.coca-colacompany.com/our-company/mission-vision-values)>>. As of COB today, the market seemed unimpressed.

I think some of Coca Cola's critics may be overlooking what kind of message the outrage over this commercial may be sending abroad. Do we mean to say that foreign nationals should not sing this song if they can't sing it in English? Do we mean to say that a national ad that praised the Lord God is a bad thing because it wasn't sung in English? To me, Super Bowl Sunday is one of a handful of days where America invites the world into its home. I think some of the umbrage being demonstrated over a television commercial is going to discourage a few people from wanting to come back or from "buying American" in their own land.

My $0.02. / YMMV

Streck-Fu
02-03-2014, 19:11
Are you really trying to attribute that stock decline to a reaction to the commercial when that occurred at the same time the market as a whole took a big hit?
Coca-Cola took less of a hit than the Dow Jones (-2.08%)

Stobey
02-03-2014, 19:38
I still liked this one the best. An oldie but goodie. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm5DsdN2QfM

Sigaba
02-03-2014, 20:04
Are you really trying to attribute that stock decline to a reaction to the commercial when that occurred at the same time the market as a whole took a big hit?
Coca-Cola took less of a hit than the Dow Jones (-2.08%)By "unimpressed" I mean that the market said "Meh" and the spot had no impact one way or another.

Peregrino
02-03-2014, 20:14
Unlike "America the Beautiful" (an American patriotic song), "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht" (a religious song) has been recorded by a large number of singers in different languages from around the world from every music genre.

Never heard "America the Beautiful" in any other version than English. (and don't want to)

I'm with you. America achieved it's peak when assimilation was the name of the game. The current progressive multiculturalism agenda isn't progress. Nor do I think it's intended to be.

Richard
02-03-2014, 21:31

I'm curious as to how one squares such an unyielding point of view with the idea that the song in question, although now patriotically revered in a nearly religious sense, (1) is not a National Anthem; (2) was originally written as a poem and published in a religious publication (The Congregationalsit) and combined with music orignally written by a church organist for a religious piece (Materna, for the hymn O Mother dear, Jerusalem); and (3) is associated with a nation which professes to embrace all cultures and has no "official" language by design and IAW the wishes of its much revered and so-called "Founding Fathers." :confused:

Richard

Snaquebite
02-04-2014, 06:56
What's American about singing "America the Beautiful" in another language? There are a lot of folks shouting racist and that people who disagree with the commercial are only showing their hatred for other nationalities/cultures. There's nothing racist about it and IMHO has nothing to do with any negative feelings of non-Americans and/or other cultures. Multi-culturism is one of the things that make this country what it is. However, I will agree with Perigrino that assimilation is the better option.
Regardless of the song's beginnings, it has become iconic in all things American which includes speaking English. (even though we don't have an official national language.
Woodrow Wilson said:
Some Americans need hyphens in their names, because only part of them has come over; but when the whole man has come over, heart and thought and all, the hyphen drops of its own weight out of his name. ~Woodrow Wilson

I apply the same thought process here and I don't "press 1 for English".

Streck-Fu
02-04-2014, 07:52
By "unimpressed" I mean that the market said "Meh" and the spot had no impact one way or another.

I don't think most investors buy or sell the day after a specific commercial. But based on the close, maybe the advert is the reason Coke did not drop as much as the DOW... ;)

Richard
02-04-2014, 08:46
What's American about singing "America the Beautiful" in another language? There are a lot of folks shouting racist and that people who disagree with the commercial are only showing their hatred for other nationalities/cultures. There's nothing racist about it and IMHO has nothing to do with any negative feelings of non-Americans and/or other cultures. Multi-culturism is one of the things that make this country what it is. However, I will agree with Perigrino that assimilation is the better option.
Regardless of the song's beginnings, it has become iconic in all things American which includes speaking English. (even though we don't have an official national language.
Woodrow Wilson said:

"Some Americans need hyphens in their names, because only part of them has come over; but when the whole man has come over, heart and thought and all, the hyphen drops of its own weight out of his name. ~Woodrow Wilson"

I apply the same thought process here and I don't "press 1 for English".

What's "un-American" about singing a song like "America the Beautiful" in a language other than English so that others who may not normally know what it says can appreciate its patriotic message? Especially in a commercial advertisement by an internationally marketed product during an internationally broadcast event like the Super Bowl? :confused:

Wilson and "anti-hyphenism"? :confused:

http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/mmh/response/transcript.cfm

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/immigration-essay-intro.pdf

As far as pressing "1 for English" or another button for access to instructions in another language or to another linguist goes, conducting commercial or government business in the modern 24/7 global economic marketplace which we had a dominant hand in creating makes such adaptations a commonly applied necessity - like having a "Terp" attached to the team when necessary.

My ancestors were of Scots heritage and although I personally choose not to identify myself as a Scots-American or Scots American or whatever, I don't see the anti-Americanism or perceived threat to our national identity by someone wanting to identify with their ancestral heritage by calling themselves an Irish-American or such as Wilson did when he said, "Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready." The history in this nation has shown otherwise, and especially during times of dire external threats.

With all the foofarah over this advertisement created as a patriotic marketing tool by a successful American commercial enterprise with one of the most recognized trademarks in the world, I find myself agreeing with this sentiment on the matter: "It must be exhausting to have to find something to be offended by every day. Equally exhausting to put everything through a political lens." Amen.

However, these are my opinions only and your opinion may vary - and so it goes...

Richard

Snaquebite
02-04-2014, 08:53
However, these are my opinions only and your opinion may vary - and so it goes...

America! Hell yeah!

MOO, but the commercial could have had a more unifying effect if all the cultures/nationalities sang in English. While the Super Bowl is an international viewing event, it is an American sport with the primary viewing audience being Americans (primary target audience).

BTW...this commercial is planned for the Olympics in a longer version. An international event.
http://tvline.com/2014/02/03/coca-cola-america-the-beautiful-super-bowl-commercial-controversy/

Streck-Fu
02-04-2014, 08:59
There is online chatter (speculation) that the Coke spot was damage control in the gay community for backlash from their sponsorship of the Sochi games. I guess there were two men married depicted in the commercial.....

dennisw
02-04-2014, 09:14
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/2/2/5365468/super-bowl-commercials-2014-audi-doberhuahua-ad

I thought the Audi commercial was pretty good(see above). I missed the Coke commercial, so I apparently caught a break.

Sigaba
02-04-2014, 13:06
Woodrow Wilson said:

I apply the same thought process here and I don't "press 1 for English".Snaquebite--

With respect, I think if you were to spend some time on Twitter (for example, #boycottcoke, you'd see plenty of remarks that go beyond the argument of using the English language to build a common national identity. If one applies the "guilt by association" line of reasoning that is increasingly commonplace on this BB....

FWIW, I've asked many times during my membership on this BB for those who point to an interval in America's history where assimilation / the "melting pot" was the dominant paradigm of social, cultural, and political discourse and that paradigm worked to the benefit of all. As of yet, that question has not really received a direct answer (decade, year, span of years, period of American history). I respectfully renew my request. I ask that someone who has this interpretation of American history to provide that interval. I am a few blocks away from the L.A. Public Library's Central Branch. It has over 40k history books, roughly 20% of the library system's total. I would welcome the opportunity to do some fact checking this evening.

Streck-Fu
02-04-2014, 13:23
Exactly what would satisfy your requirements for the Melting Pot analogy? The significant influx of immigrants from post French Revolution through the end of the Ellis Island era serves as the timeline you are looking for....

While many to most of those immigrants retained their culture and language, they still learned English and conducted common business as established.

Lan
02-04-2014, 13:28
Not too happy with the hypocrisy of turning down the Daniel Defense commercial with a stated reason being 'no guns' but then air a very gun centric '24' teaser.

'24' teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx__oqcTcUU

Denied advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLQxnOZmvc

The NFL could've lost their non profit status if they had disobeyed this administrations agenda. Boycott the media, the NFL, and buy yourself a DD rifle with the money saved on cable.

mark46th
02-04-2014, 13:43
The Melting Pot used to mean when you came to this country, you accepted the idea that you came here because this country has a better way of doing things. You replace the things in your culture that held you back with the things in the American culture that let you improve your life. That doesn't happen now because the progressives/liberals want to be culturally sensitve and celebrate diversity.

Snaquebite
02-04-2014, 14:06
Language is only part of any national identity. America is no different. If people do not readily accept the concept of a national identity, there is too much risk that the loss of democracy will follow. This is one of many reasons the national identity is so important to the livelihood of this country and of the American people. While there is no official language of the United States, 90% of the population speaks English and the majority of states have officially declared English as the official language.

Edit to add:
I'm always a fan of a good debate but I'm solidly on the side of American tribalism on this one. And by American tribalism I am referring to "E pluribis unum," or out of many, one. Sure, America is a country made up of immigrants but the whole point is that when our forebearers left their homes and rejected those broken systems for a land of opportunity they assimilated into the American subtext. People were proud to become Americans. They were proud when their children learned English, the dominant language. We didn't need an official language because our melting pot worked and immigrants were proud to become one with their new neighbors.
In this age of "me, me, me" we have people coming to our country for the opportunity it provides but they want to adapt our successful culture to them, and not the other way around.
I'm no fan of discrimination and expose it when I find it, but there is none to be found here. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country, no matter where you hail from. But if there is confusion for you, perhaps America isn't it. If you are more proud of your heritage than your place in this great land, it might just be time for you to head home, wherever that is.

MAB32
02-04-2014, 14:33
Supposedly, this was one of those that was suppose to air. It was from my understanding not chosen.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2gdPY-88w

Lawyers feel free to chime in since this concerns you either directly or indirectly. Would like to know your opinions as well.

echoes
02-04-2014, 16:30
BUT The commercials??

What was you favorite??
[url=http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/02/02/WATCH-Super-Bowl-XLVIII-Commercials}Link to Commercials[/url]

The #1 Commercial, that I had to reply again and again, was the Anheiser Busch Puppy!!!

Okay, we all know ya'll are big, strong, tough Men:lifter....

but, that one just tugged at the 'ol heart strings! And what a great song, simple, and simple.;)

Just my little two cents.

Holly

echoes
02-04-2014, 16:36
BUT The commercials??

What was you favorite??

The #1 Commercial, that I had to replay again and again, was the Anheiser Busch Puppy!!!

Okay, we all know ya'll are big, strong, tough Men:lifter....

but, that one just tugged at the 'ol heart strings! And what a great song, simple, and simple.;)

Just my little two cents.

Holly

MR2
02-04-2014, 17:45

Yup.

head
02-05-2014, 12:34
An interesting blog on the Budweiser Welcome Home ad...

http://gfor3.com/2014/02/04/the-great-budweiser-lie/

I, for one, don't know about the allegations about the LT lining up the spot for himself. But it does seem a bit convenient. I hate that companies like Bud and the NFL use their "patriotism" to sell their products, but if it involves promoting another reputable veterans organization or letting well-deserving Soldiers have a once-in-the-lifetime opportunity, I can stand it. I do agree with the article that there are more deserving candidates and how does this officer or his BC or the PAO not fight to put one of their enlisted crew chiefs on his third to fifth deployment and second to third marriage in the spot instead is beyond me.

Streck-Fu
02-05-2014, 12:52
That commercial rubbed me the wrong way when it aired. Ask my wife, I was pining on it for legitimacy like they were selling Top Gun as a documentary.

Airbornelawyer
02-05-2014, 23:06
This thread is a discussion of Super Bowl commercials, which does include your specific impressions of the Coca Cola ad.

If you wish to discuss broader issues such as whether and to what extent the USA is a melting pot or a tossed salad or some other metaphor, the role of English language as a unifying factor for American culture, or the relative benefits vs. costs of multiculturalism, please feel free to start another thread in the appropriate forum.

Thank you.