PDA

View Full Version : ATF demonstration letter

fox33c1
01-21-2014, 18:19
Question,

What level of authorization is required to write an ATF demonstration letter for a manufacturer to procure class 3 NFA items. So they can show my detachment (possibly the S8 as well) improvements to an existing platform. Everyone I have asked has no idea and the ATF said any authorized person. (sounds like enough rope to hang yourself with)

They are not bolting a damn thing to any issued equipment, but I will watch them do what ever to their stuff.

Thanks

The Reaper
01-21-2014, 18:54
Do you have an S-8?

That would seem to me to be their responsibility.

TR

35NCO
01-21-2014, 18:59
Have you called local SOT's and asked them about their letters? Or the local Police Chiefs? Generally, it is just official PD letter head with the exact weapon specified, Name of SOT buisness, SOT demonstator, time and date of demonstration and authorized signature authority. I have never done an Army one before if that is what you mean, however, I would imagine it would be close to the same thing, official letter and commanding officer. (Call ATF on that one.)

The ATF have been much stricter recently too. So whomever signs, needs to be around for a bit in case the ATF decide to ask them, phone/in person if the demonstration did indeed take place. The answer better be yes, or that SOT is in some serious trouble.

Hopefully that is helpful...

fox33c1
01-21-2014, 23:49
Thanks guys,

I wanted know if there was an established process and see if it had happened before, I guess not. I will talk to my S8 and see what they say.

I'd rather have the answers and direct the action, then go looking for answers and have it directed to me.

BTW It is something cool I thought my detachment and the 8 shop might like to see like to see applied to the mk17 and mk20 from another platform.

appreciate the guidance