PDA

View Full Version : Zombie knife advice

hoepoe
01-19-2014, 02:35
Esteemed Members

As part of my doomsday preparations (tongue in cheek description, but seriously planning), i'm looking for a versatile knife that would be useful in both bug-out/huckle-down type scenarios. This will not be used as a day to day carry knife unless the proverbial really hits the fan.

I've narrowed it down to three (in no particular order) and would value your opinions.

1. Green Beret (which length?)
2. Pacific (Civilian model)
3. PS.com

Thanks

Hoepoe

Dusty
01-19-2014, 11:17
Get Barbarian to make you one.

Team Sergeant
01-19-2014, 11:18
I would have more than one (and I do) a GB knife is great for what it's designed to do but I always had a Swiss Army knife in my pocket when in the field. I also liked to carry a Leatherman, like having a small tool chest in your pocket.

hoepoe
01-19-2014, 11:23
I would have more than one (and I do) a GB knife is great for what it's designed to do but I always had a Swiss Army knife in my pocket when in the field. I also liked to carry a Leatherman, like having a small tool chest in your pocket.

Agree 100%. I have a Leatherman Skeletool for everyday carry and a SwissTool for anything more heavy duty.

What i'm looking for is a sturdy chopping/cutting/defence tool (and a reason to buy a cool knife!)

H

Team Sergeant
01-19-2014, 11:24
Then I'd go GB knife for sure! It will remove a zombie's head in one easy motion.....:D

hoepoe
01-19-2014, 11:31
Then I'd go GB knife for sure! It will remove a zombie's head in one easy motion.....:D

Now you're gettin' me!

:-)

Oldrotorhead
01-19-2014, 12:05

I'll second this. Decide what style, size and grip you like and contact him. His work is first class. Why get something off the shelf if you can do better.

hoepoe
01-19-2014, 14:49

I just saw this; will contact him, thanks.

H

Max_Tab
01-19-2014, 17:56
I carry a mini leatherman on my key chain, and a folder in my pocket. I have a SOG SEAL for my big knife and I know you are going to make fun of me but I have a Bear Grills machete in my pack for cutting and chopping. I like the backward curve of it and it was a fathers day gift from my daughter.

Plus it would be really good at killing zombies

twistedsquid
01-19-2014, 18:44
For Zombies? Just a big ole machete with a hammer pommel.

The Reaper
01-19-2014, 19:24
I'll second this. Decide what style, size and grip you like and contact him. His work is first class. Why get something off the shelf if you can do better.

Well, I see nothing wrong with the Chris Reeve and/or Bill Harsey knives mentioned above.

I prefer a larger blade for chopping tasks, so of the list, I like the GB knife best. You can do most small jobs with a bigger knife, if necessary, but it is not easy to do big jobs with a small knife.

A machete, axe, or kukri is nice, depending on the environment, combined with a smaller fixed blade and a Swiss Army or quality multi-tool.

Avoid Chinese made products.

TR

Joker
01-19-2014, 19:26
I say go to the SFQC and use the one they award you there!

ghp95134
01-19-2014, 19:59
I say go to the SFQC and use the one they award you there!

Thanks, at 61 and working on my second retirement, I'm a bit too long in the tooth. I'll wait another 20 years and inherit my Dad's. (^__^)v

--ghp

Dusty
01-19-2014, 20:13
Thanks, at 61 and working on my second retirement, I'm a bit too long in the tooth. I'll wait another 20 years and inherit my Dad's. (^__^)v

--ghp

I'm 61, working on my third retirement, and waaay long in the tooth. I didn't get one-and I'm not gonna pay for one. IMO, that's like buying a medal that the paperwork got lost on.

Team Sergeant
01-19-2014, 22:50
I carry a mini leatherman on my key chain, and a folder in my pocket. I have a SOG SEAL for my big knife and I know you are going to make fun of me but I have a Bear Grills machete in my pack for cutting and chopping. I like the backward curve of it and it was a fathers day gift from my daughter.

Plus it would be really good at killing zombies

You're a homo..........;)

Max_Tab
01-19-2014, 22:56
LMAO

Barbarian
01-20-2014, 08:32

Well, I see nothing wrong with the Chris Reeve and/or Bill Harsey knives mentioned above.

My initial reaction was not to touch this thread with a ten ft. pole, but I feel like I should probably say something. I really do appreciate the kind words, though.

Bill designs (and makes) great knives and Mr. Reeve is famous for his company's production quality. He's won awards for several consecutive years, for it, in fact. You can't go wrong buying a Harsey/Reeve knife. I've got a Pacific, and it's great. If you think one of the knives previously mentioned might meet your needs, I'll definitely add my name to the list of folks who will recommend them.

If you want a hand-made knife for the price of a hand-made knife, and don't mind waiting in line for it, then it would be my pleasure to make you one, if you'd like.

(Though we haven't met in person), I consider Bill a friend, and whether you buy a knife from me or buy one of his designs, it's a win either way in my book.

Dusty
01-20-2014, 08:49
My initial reaction was not to touch this thread with a ten ft. pole, but I feel like I should probably say something. I really do appreciate the kind words, though.

Bill designs (and makes) great knives and Mr. Reeve is famous for his company's production quality. He's won awards for several consecutive years, for it, in fact. You can't go wrong buying a Harsey/Reeve knife. I've got a Pacific, and it's great. If you think one of the knives previously mentioned might meet your needs, I'll definitely add my name to the list of folks who will recommend them.

If you want to want a hand-made knife for the price of a hand-made knife, and don't mind waiting in line for it, then it would be my pleasure to make you one, if you'd like.

(Though we haven't met in person), I consider Bill a friend, and whether you buy a knife from me or buy one of his designs, it's a win either way in my book.

Well said.

I can unequivocally state that the best knives I've ever owned were Barbarian-made. That being said, I've never owned a Harsey or a Reeve; I'm convinced they are outstanding knives, of course.

For my money, though-I like to design a blade shape, handle, sheath, et al myself and have the knife built to my specs. This, you do spectacularly, Barbarian.

hoepoe
01-20-2014, 09:09

If you want to want a hand-made knife for the price of a hand-made knife, and don't mind waiting in line for it, then it would be my pleasure to make you one, if you'd like.

That was a really professional post and I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to post it here. I have no need for a hand made knife (nor any knife, really), nor can I justify (for my needs) spending the extra money on a hand made one (although i have no doubt it's worth it) - hence i didn't PM you and waste your time.

Thank you again. For what it matters, you've earned my respect and if the time ever comes for a handmade knife, you'll be my first point of contact.

Hoepoe

Bill Harsey
01-21-2014, 07:38

Nice to know we just make "off the shelf" stuff.

Oldrotorhead
01-21-2014, 08:11

Sorry, I didn't mean this as a slur I just intended to add another option to the mix.

Dusty
01-21-2014, 08:45

lol From what everybody who's opinion I respect has ever said, your products are the best that have ever been made.; I wouldn't take offense if I were you.

I've just never owned one, personally.

x SF med
03-25-2014, 10:36

LMAO!!! Because.... I've seen the shelves the knives come off of... in the old shop... and they are right behind the really cool stereo...

Flagg
03-25-2014, 20:38
"That's not a knife, THIS is a knife mate!"

http://www.svord.com/pages/catalog/CK-VTB.htm

I'm carrying a Gerber Harsey Air Ranger, a multi-tool, and still waiting on my Randalls to arrive.

I'm going to try carrying around the Randall Sergeant when away from home loc.

Guymullins
03-26-2014, 05:05
Big knife- Puma White Hunter with wood handle.
Small tool: Leatherman (Made in Portland, not the oriental modern ones) Flair with the corkscrew.

shady.raven13
03-27-2014, 10:26
GERBER LMK II IS A GREAT SURVIVAL KNIFE:
GLASS PUNCH
HAMMER
CUT THROUHG ELECTRICAL WIRES
MAKE A SPEAR WITH IT
MULTIPLE WEAR OPTIONS
LIST GOES ON.

The Reaper
03-27-2014, 20:10
Now THIS is my knife.

Great tool for the zombie apocalypse.

TR

Peregrino
03-27-2014, 20:17
Looks like you have TEOTWAWKI covered. (Having somehow overlooked your humidor, I will have to assume the cigars are on par with the Reaper and Pappy.)

x SF med
03-28-2014, 09:27
Now THIS is my knife.

Great tool for the zombie apocalypse.

TR

TR, it's not a large enough knife, take it back to the guy who made it and see if he can stretch it a little for you... and get those damn scratches off the blade... he's done that to a few of my knives... he's always scratching on my knives..:rolleyes:;):D

Barbarian
03-28-2014, 09:33
Now THIS is my knife.

Years later, that's still the nicest knife I know of. Bill and yourself have set the bar high with that one.