PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ankle..........FML

Mills
01-18-2014, 10:57
Gents, it finally happened.

Broke my first bone at the age of 32.

Ended up with a non displaced Bi malleolar fracture. So much for the next 6 months of my life. Should be meeting with ortho after the 4 day weekend to figure out what to do.

Not sure if I will need surgery or not, I guess thats up to the ortho.

Any tips or concerns that I should have with said injury?

Not to mention any advice on how to "not go bat shit crazy" while im stuck sitting on my ass for the next few months.

FML.

Lan
01-18-2014, 11:15
You can take up cross stitching :D

I meant no disrespect by the way. I don't think there's shame in it personally.

Do you play video games? Starcraft 2 is pretty fun, and might keep your mind sharp. Here's an article about it.

Starcraft 2 and brain agility (http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331612014685/playing-starcraft-ii-makes-you-smarter)

Mills
01-18-2014, 12:14
You can take up cross stitching :D

I meant no disrespect by the way. I don't think there's shame in it personally.

Do you play video games? Starcraft 2 is pretty fun, and might keep your mind sharp. Here's an article about it.

Starcraft 2 and brain agility (http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331612014685/playing-starcraft-ii-makes-you-smarter)

Maybe I will look into it, but not a big video gamer so who knows.

Gonna speak with the PTs about how I can keep at least my upper body from withering away during this time.

full cooler
01-19-2014, 07:49
I did the same thing on November 6th. Ortho gave me the option of trying the boot in lieu of surgery. Had to sleep in the damn thing until December 12th when they let me trade the crutches for a cane and put some weight on the boot (x rays showed good alignment and healing). I go back next Thursday to see if I can get rid of the boot.

I'm 66 so you should have a much quicker recovery.

Netflix is a great distraction. Catch up on movies or entire TV series. House of Cards is good for a day or so. I spend too many hours on the internet becoming an expert in everything, but it helps prevent boredom. I also loaded up the Kindle and have read a bunch of books.

Ice and elevation are your friends.

I hope all goes well.

Mills
01-19-2014, 22:26
True words.

Those, and the instructions of the doc handling the case.;)

We will see what he says once the 4 day weekend is over...........Geez.............

Im already sick of sitting on the couch.

Team Sergeant
01-19-2014, 23:42
Let's see, since joining the military, broke my ankle in 4 places including the tibia, broke 2 ribs, broke my back (L-2-3-4) dislocated my shoulder and was operated on, burnt my hand to a crisp and was in the hospital for 7 days, got a herniated disk at T-5, I could keep going.......;) I was DZSO for a year while serving on a MFF team.....:D Shite happens roll with it.:D

Mills
01-20-2014, 08:12
Let's see, since joining the military, broke my ankle in 4 places including the tibia, broke 2 ribs, broke my back (L-2-3-4) dislocated my shoulder and was operated on, burnt my hand to a crisp and was in the hospital for 7 days, got a herniated disk at T-5, I could keep going.......;) I was DZSO for a year while serving on a MFF team.....:D Shite happens roll with it.:D

Haha, good point. Trying to make the best out of it, however the hardest part is that I don't particularly have any hobbies that involve me sitting on my ass.

cbtengr
01-20-2014, 08:35
Discover 1000 new ways to prepare a half a beef and then write a book about it and go on the talk show circuit. That should keep you occupied until your ankle heals. :o

Toaster
01-20-2014, 09:10
Read books, I don't think that you'd like video games too much from your avatar :D. They're not too much better than TV, it prevents you from doing things that are more productive. TV is also an income suppressant.

If you look into The Evelynn Wood Speed Reading program you can significantly increase your reading speed and comprehension of material.

http://www.amazon.com/Remember-Everything-Read-Stanley-Frank-ebook/dp/B0084U4KX6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390230196&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=evelynn+wood+speed+reading+program

There is also spreeder.com which is great for practicing that (thanks for pointing this out Richard)

Other things
1. Stippling plastic for guns
2. Gunsmithing
3. Learn a new language, brush up on skills in current foreign language
4. Listen to audio programs (audible.com)
5. Learn to use photo software
6. Lots of dryfire practice

Hope that helps man

Mills
01-21-2014, 20:48
Well, I didn't actually meet with the Ortho in regards to my ankle......I took a round about way to get in touch with the "most preferred" orthopedic surgeon here on Ft. Campbell and he took a look at the x-rays from Friday morning and said that as long as I am not in excruciating pain..........the fractures look minor enough for the malleoli to heal them selves with a hard cast for 6 weeks, then we will re-evaluate.

Does this sound right fellas? I know he is the SME and all, but I figured he would at least want to see me in regards to the injury.

CSB
01-21-2014, 22:37
Yes, sounds right. On my second jump at airborne school I had a non-displaced fracture of the posterior malleolus. They put on a full leg plaster cast, bent at the knee (because, said the doctor "if I don't bend your knee you damn airborne soldiers will try and walk on it"). Welcome to crutches.

Key was "non-displaced" so the bone stayed where where it belonged, it was just cracked.

After about two weeks they cut off the big cast and replaced it with a "short leg with walker" (knee length plaster cast with a rubber heel implanted in the bottom of the cast).

About two weeks later I had a followup, and after an x-ray the verdict was: "No fracture visible at this time."

The short leg cast came off, and that was that. Treatment circa 1972. Maybe 40 days start to finish.

So I suspect you are looking at the same thing, just don't do anything to displace the bones while they knit back together.
Then slowly build up walking/running. Hit the gym for your upper body, just no squats, calf raises, etc. Bench press, lat pulldown, etc. Extra calcium couldn't hurt.

===

Oh yeah, and I had to finish up my three qualifying airborne jumps at Ft. Campbell and mail the manifests back to Ft. Benning to get my jump wings, which is why -- stop me if you have heard this before -- I have alway bragged of getting my jump wings by correspondence course.:D

Mills
01-21-2014, 22:52
Yes, sounds right. On my second jump at airborne school I had a non-displaced fracture of the posterior malleolus. They put on a full leg plaster cast, bent at the knee (because, said the doctor "if I don't bend your knee you damn airborne soldiers will try and walk on it"). Welcome to crutches.

Key was "non-displaced" so the bone stayed where where it belonged, it was just cracked.

After about two weeks they cut off the big cast and replaced it with a "short leg with walker" (knee length plaster cast with a rubber heel implanted in the bottom of the cast).

About two weeks later I had a followup, and after an x-ray the verdict was: "No fracture visible at this time."

The short leg cast came off, and that was that. Treatment circa 1972. Maybe 40 days start to finish.

So I suspect you are looking at the same thing, just don't do anything to displace the bones while they knit back together.
Then slowly build up walking/running. Hit the gym for your upper body, just no squats, calf raises, etc. Bench press, lat pulldown, etc. Extra calcium couldn't hurt.

===

Oh yeah, and I had to finish up my three qualifying airborne jumps at Ft. Campbell and mail the manifests back to Ft. Benning to get my jump wings, which is why -- stop me if you have heard this before -- I have alway bragged of getting my jump wings by correspondence course.:D

Thanks for the feedback. I am going in for plaster tomorrow so we will see what happens.

Looks like the only difference is that I have both malleoli fractured, shouldn't make a difference in healing as they are both pretty much equally damaged. I guess I was lucky as this type of fracture is considered unstable and 95% of the time, surgery is required.

Hopefully it will take well and won't develop any complications.