PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Ultra CDP II

Smokin Joe
11-25-2004, 15:36
About 2 weeks ago I got an earily Christmas gift from my wife.

She just had foot surgery as some of you know and for my efforts to take care of her as well as a Christmas gift I got this.

The Reaper
11-25-2004, 17:13

She just had foot surgery as some of you know and for my efforts to take care of her as well as a Christmas gift I got this.

Very nice piece.

So Kimber has gone to an external extractor as well?

Nice photography, too!

TR

SERPENT5XX
11-25-2004, 17:40
Great gun!

I bought one about 5 years ago. Being an older model it has no firing pin safety and came with the internal extractor. It has been a great carry gun. Light, compact, very accurate, and a .45. I uses a Wilson 7 round magazine in it and it runs great.

Happy shooting!

SERPENT5XX

Eagle5US
11-25-2004, 17:57
SWEET!!!
I like VERY much...
Kudos to your bride for her taste...in guns :D

Eagle

alphamale
11-25-2004, 18:09
Joe,

Beautiful piece.

I like the silver, black, and wood combo.

FrontSight

Sacamuelas
11-25-2004, 18:20
nice photos Joe. Great gun!

I have the sister to it. My Pro CDP II is my current CCW. I also recommend Wilson mags. Make sure you have the molded followers in whatever mags you use. The metal lip on the standard Kimber and the chip mccormick's has been reported to dig into the Kimber's with alum. lowers.

You owe your wife big for this. I suggest buying her a new holster for that CDP II and four or five wilson 7 rounders for christmas. :D

Smokin Joe
11-25-2004, 18:51
Very nice piece.

So Kimber has gone to an external extractor as well?

Nice photography, too!

TR

I've noticed alot of companies are going that route nowadays, I wonder why?

I got a little lucky this time (the sun was out).

SWEET!!!
I like VERY much...
Kudos to your bride for her taste...in guns

Eagle

Its great to have a buddy who runs a gun store.

Great gun!

I bought one about 5 years ago. Being an older model it has no firing pin safety and came with the internal extractor. It has been a great carry gun. Light, compact, very accurate, and a .45. I uses a Wilson 7 round magazine in it and it runs great.

Happy shooting!

SERPENT5XX

I have never had good luck with Wilson Combat Mags. I'm also the only guy I know who has problems with them. So I use either Kimbers or Chip McCormick Power Mags.

In this gun I'm running Kimber 7 rounders

nice photos Joe. Great gun!

You owe your wife big for this. I suggest buying her a new holster for that CDP II and four or five wilson 7 rounders for christmas.

RIGHT!!! I'm obligated to buy her "Something that Sparkles" now

NousDefionsDoc
11-25-2004, 19:12
Nice Joe. Congratulations

Smokin Joe
11-25-2004, 20:51
Joe,

Beautiful piece.

I like the silver, black, and wood combo.

FrontSight

I think so too, I will post more when I get a set of Gunner grips on it.

Nice Joe. Congratulations

Thank you.

Its a great gun and runs like a champ even with Hydro-shok ammo. Its light weight and very comfortable to carry. The only slight problem I'm having is because it is so light that when I'm shooting double taps I need to white knuckle grip it so it doesn't jump out of my hand after the second shot.

Guess I'll need to go see the Team Sergeant for some shooting tips.

Sacamuelas
12-05-2004, 20:35
Smokin'-
You thought about holster options yet? :munchin

Smokin Joe
12-05-2004, 21:05
Currently I'm using a Wilderness belt slider. I'm going to check out sidearmor this week (I just found out they are in my town).

I'm also thinking about Galco because I like the idea of a thumb break for some weapon retention incase I get in a fight and lethal force is not justified. I don't want to scrap with someone and have my gun fall out.

Team Sergeant
12-05-2004, 21:20

So when we going shooting?

You been doing the dry fire drills?

TS

Smokin Joe
12-05-2004, 21:25
So when we going shooting?

You been doing the dry fire drills?

TS

Probably around Christmas (if you are around)

Yes I have been dry firing as instructed.

Team Sergeant
12-05-2004, 21:29

Roger, you know where to find me. Bring that IBM .45 clone with you and we'll put it through hell.

TS

Smokin Joe
12-05-2004, 21:37
Roger, you know where to find me. Bring that IBM .45 clone with you and we'll put it through hell.

TS

ROGER THAT!

Its been to cold up here to put it through its paces.

DanUCSB
12-05-2004, 22:41
Its been to cold up here to put it through its paces.

We'll be having none of that. The little fellow generates its own heat. (The Kimber, not the TS.)

swatsurgeon
12-08-2004, 13:41
Going to take this thread in a different direction......So now I'm ready to purchase a .45, never owned one, shot plenty of them, including H&K tactical , SOCOM, compact, (suppressed was fun!!), Colt officers and commander, Glock 30 and 36....2 threads now on Para and Kimber: so what are the pros and cons as per the perspective of those of you who do, or did, shoot for a living?
Any brand better?? a few points....
- TR, it does need to handle 'that' ammo (LM)
- cocked and locked vs not is fine
- easy to disassemble/replace tiny little parts (I am my own armorer on my glocks and H&K)
Thanks for any input
ss

Smokin Joe
12-08-2004, 16:23
Swat,

In all honesty I have no idea if a Kimber will handle "that ammo" I would not run "that ammo" through the pistol in this thread. Or any Kimber CDP II because they have aluminum frames.

That being said I love my Kimbers right out of the box they run like a champ. Granted they are a little tight the first 700-1000 rnds as Kimber has a "break in period" for there pistols.

I have had poor luck Springfields 'loaded' 1911's however I know others who swear by them.

Glocks will not handle "that ammo".

I have zero experience with Para but I would defiently trust TR's opinion if they will handle "that ammo" a Para might be the way to go just to be sure. But with your experience with H&K I wouldn't dismiss them either, and from what I hear the H&K's will handle "that ammo".

So if I were you I would narrow it down to and H&K and a Para.

NousDefionsDoc
12-08-2004, 16:27
Oh hell! Sombody buy the gun, ammo and pot roast and I'll shoot it!

swatsurgeon
12-08-2004, 17:24
NDD<
I'm right there with you.....

The Reaper
12-08-2004, 19:05
Paras have a ramped barrel, Kimbers are great guns, but do not.

The Kimber double stack is so ugly only a mother could love it.

All else being equal, I would rather have 14 rounds of .45 ACP available than 7. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I have a P-14 which has had a grip reduction and is the same grip diameter as a Glock 23. Very nice feeling pistol. I have .45 ACP P-14s and P-16s in .40 S&W and 10mm.

My home defense pistol is a P-13 with a Surefire X200.

My CC piece is an Alloy P-12. A few hundred rounds of LeMas have been through it with no ill effects (except on the targets).

The Glock .45s have an unsupported area of the chamber. Normal .45ACP does not have a problem with this. The other Glocks are usually GTG. I have it on good authority that a KTM barrel makes everything okay.

I would see what comes up at the SHOT this year, it should be a big year for new stuff without the AWB.

I may have to buy one of the new LDA triggered pistols. Maybe they will make one in .357 SIG, perhaps an Officer's Model size, that would hold 14 rounds of .40 or .357. That would be very neat.

HTH.

TR

Team Sergeant
12-08-2004, 19:32
Going to take this thread in a different direction......So now I'm ready to purchase a .45, never owned one, shot plenty of them, including H&K tactical , SOCOM, compact, (suppressed was fun!!), Colt officers and commander, Glock 30 and 36....2 threads now on Para and Kimber: so what are the pros and cons as per the perspective of those of you who do, or did, shoot for a living?
Any brand better?? a few points....
- TR, it does need to handle 'that' ammo (LM)
- cocked and locked vs not is fine
- easy to disassemble/replace tiny little parts (I am my own armorer on my glocks and H&K)
Thanks for any input
ss

I cut my teeth on 1911 clones, but no more.

Now I carry and use HK USP's as my weapon of choice. They shoot bullet hole through bullet hole out of the box and require NO tweaking or 500 rds to make them smooth. No kimber or glock for me. USP .45 (fullsize) is the ticket. I don't own a HK .45 Compact so no opinion concerning those weapons, but I do have a .40 Compact and it is the heat. (Now if I could only find Hi-Cap mags for it...)

TS

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-08-2004, 20:42
I cut my teeth on 1911 clones, but no more.

Now I carry and use HK USP's as my weapon of choice. They shoot bullet hole through bullet hole out of the box and require NO tweaking or 500 rds to make them smooth. No kimber or glock for me. USP .45 (fullsize) is the ticket. I don't own a HK .45 Compact so no opinion concerning those weapons, but I do have a .40 Compact and it is the heat. (Now if I could only find Hi-Cap mags for it...)

TS

I have the full size HK USP .45, with the HK light that I keep on my nightstand in the bedroom. Its a great pistol, but a little big for concealed carry! I also have 3 pre-ban mags for it. :D

mumbleypeg
12-09-2004, 14:17
I need to sign up for The Reaper seminar in Paraordinance and get some learnin. I see much to like in Para but only know one person with a para and he doesn't like to get his weapons dusty. I've been a full size, single stack,1911 fan but my horizons are expanding.

Roguish Lawyer
12-09-2004, 18:22

I will probably be around if you want some company . . .

Team Sergeant
12-09-2004, 18:46

Get your head out of the gutter man! We’re discussing shooting, besides there could be children reading these pages! What were you thinking?

Joe, YOYO.

TS

Sacamuelas
12-09-2004, 19:06
ROTFLMAO!!!

end of hijack.. back to Guns!

vsvo
12-09-2004, 20:11
Ts, Lmao!

Smokin Joe
12-09-2004, 20:43

Sorry but you WILL NOT BE MY SPOON BUDDY!

Air.177
12-09-2004, 23:54
(Now if I could only find Hi-Cap mags for it...)

TS

Sorry I am late, How many mags do you require?
PM me with details

I have handled many Kimbers and I am NOT impressed by them at all. Last week, I took a Brand new stainless commander length TLE-RL out of the box and put it on the shelf. Later that same day, a customer decided that he NEEDED to have this pistol. Upon closer inspection, the magazine release jammed halfway open and wouldn't allow a magazine to fully seat, and the barrel had several significant spots of Heavy rust/scale on it. On a Springfield Mil spec, I might could let these things slide, but NOT on an $1100 brand new just-out-of-the-box pistol. Neither the customer nor myself were pleased.

Just my .02

Smokin Joe
12-10-2004, 07:28
Sorry I am late, How many mags do you require?
PM me with details

I have handled many Kimbers and I am NOT impressed by them at all. Last week, I took a Brand new stainless commander length TLE-RL out of the box and put it on the shelf. Later that same day, a customer decided that he NEEDED to have this pistol. Upon closer inspection, the magazine release jammed halfway open and wouldn't allow a magazine to fully seat, and the barrel had several significant spots of Heavy rust/scale on it. On a Springfield Mil spec, I might could let these things slide, but NOT on an $1100 brand new just-out-of-the-box pistol. Neither the customer nor myself were pleased.

Just my .02

Air,

That is BS, you guys should send it back to Kimber. I have NEVER heard of a Kimber coming from the factory in that condition. When you put the weapon on the shelf did you pull it out of a blue bag? If not then that is why it had rust spots.

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 08:05
I will have to say that I have handled quite a few of the Kimbers myself, own a couple, and have never seen the problem you described either.

My buddy's gun store, where I occasionally help out, has sold close to a thousand Kimbers, and he says that they are consistently the best made and have the lowest returns of any 1911 he sells.

Just my experience, YMMV.

TR

Air.177
12-10-2004, 13:46
Air,

That is BS, you guys should send it back to Kimber. I have NEVER heard of a Kimber coming from the factory in that condition. When you put the weapon on the shelf did you pull it out of a blue bag? If not then that is why it had rust spots.

Yes it came out of a blue Bag, just like the rest of them. For some reason, new kimber barrels - Especially on the stainless guns - seem to rust very easily in my experience. We (meaning Me) were able to southern engineer a solution to the mag release problem, and Flitz the rust away. These solutions along with a $20 discount, made the customer happy. The mag release issue was that the little Detent doohicky that you turn with an allen wrench to capture the spring and allow removal of the mag release button had gotten half way turned and just bound everything up. A simple turn of the allen wrench fixed it, but still I shouldn't have to turn a damn thing on a brand new $1100 pistol.

TR - We sell a ton of Kimbers and I am only mildly impressed by them in general. I have seen probably 3-5 guns with rust on the barrels when they came out of the package from the factory.

I know lots of people who are very pleased with their Kimber pistols, but I am not just chomping at the Bit to run to work and Buy one of my own.

sniperinblue
12-14-2004, 00:48
Very nice. I was also lucky enough to get a Kimber from my wife. She got me an Eclipse Custom II. Also, very nice.

Spartan359
12-24-2004, 22:51
Have any of you shot/own a Walther P-99 .40cal? I recently bought one and I find it a hell of alot better than any Glock I've fired.

AngelsSix
01-17-2005, 02:27
Okay, chick comments on guns:

I have shot two seperate .45's, the Kimber full size standard 1911 and a Springfield compact that had a lot of work done post - factory.
The Kimber performed flawlessly for me (note- I have small hands and the single stack mags/smaller grip make that easier on me personally).
The Springfield was a compact (bought from anther person who not longer wanted it) and had some work done to it post purchase by a 1911 gunsmith. The Springfield wasn't what I expected at all. The gun didn't seem to fit in my hand well at all. It tended to have problems with stovepiping (wasn't just me, it did the same with the guys who shot it) and wasn't as accurate as the Kimber. The gun often ejected the shells directly into my forehead (thank God for shooting glasses). It also had a tendancy to dig into the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger. Being a compact, the kick may have been an issue, as well as the fact that the grip wasn't fitting uinto my hands well at all.
That having been said, I love the Kimber. We have never had to do anythig to it at all, it has shot flawlessly out of the box.
Now I have also shot CZ's to my satisfaction, until I bought my .40. Sadly, the 9mm and .380 legacy I was accostomed to didn't carry into the .40. I am going to trade or sell it once I get home for a 1911.
We should close on one note, however. A gun may or may not perform for a person depending on their shooting style as well. While I can do well with the Kimber, I don't do as well with a Glock or a Baretta. I also realize that having small hands to try and wrap around the double stack mag (grips) makes a big difference for me.