PDA

View Full Version : Induction cooktop


craigepo
01-05-2014, 13:30
We have broken ground on a new house. Of the myriad decisions to be made, one is choice of how to cook stuff.

We had planned to put in a large Viking-type propane range and oven. However, we have now been looking at this induction stuff. I was curious whether anybody had any experience with, whether it really works as well as advertised, etc.

Toaster
01-05-2014, 13:51
One of my friends has an induction stovetop...Those things are almost magical.

IIRC the require stainless steel pots and pans, but they can have great deals of water boiling in under a minute. The surface won't heat up if the pot/pan is not there. There is bound to be some level of learning curve, but I figured it out in less than a minute, once I understood it wasn't voodoo.

When I have a permanent residence and can afford it, I will get one.

The only downside, it requires electricity. No power, no stove.

PSM
01-05-2014, 13:56
The only downside, it requires electricity. No power, no stove.

Unfortunately, that's true for modern, electronically controlled, gas stoves as well. :mad:

Pat

(1VB)compforce
01-05-2014, 17:20
We have broken ground on a new house. Of the myriad decisions to be made, one is choice of how to cook stuff.

We had planned to put in a large Viking-type propane range and oven. However, we have now been looking at this induction stuff. I was curious whether anybody had any experience with, whether it really works as well as advertised, etc.

It just so happens I have been researching stoves for my house as that's where the tax refund is going this year. Here's a site that breaks down the pros and cons pretty well. It's a site that has a bias towards induction, but they are fair in the pros and cons and self-disclose so I'm OK with it.

http://theinductionsite.com/proandcon.shtml

For me, I have too many copper and other non-magnetic pans, including my main sets of both stainless and non stick for it to work and I'm not reinvesting. The magnet trick works. Take a magnet and if it sticks strongly to the bottom of your pan, on the outside where the pan will make contact with the stove, then induction will work. Also, I do char foods directly on the burners, especially roasted peppers, and use larger than normal pans. Can't char that with an induction.

The results of my research are I'm going with the LG LDG3037T http://www.lg.com/us/ranges-ovens/lg-LDG3037ST-gas-range for the double oven with convection.

Penn
01-05-2014, 21:26
I have extensive experience working, designing, and installing commercial and domestic kitchens.
Induction cook tops are fantastic. That said, there is a learning curve relative to culinary experience. My next commercial installation will be inductive, as it is the fastest, accurate=controllable, and low maintenance method for stove top cooking. Down side is higher electric bills.

Sonofagunny
01-06-2014, 04:32
My previous incarnation, before SF candidate, was chef.

At one particularly large resort in the Keys, we had a few portable induction burners. They worked really well for heating up a pan to the EXACT heat you needed in just a few seconds, and then holding that heat until you need the pan. This was great for table side presentations. They cleaned damn easy and just seconds after turning off. However, they just aren't as versatile as a gas burner.

Could you install a gas range with an induction burner or two intalled next to this?

Penn
01-06-2014, 07:45
Very big in European Kitchens - The slider is a solid top - think French Top - where the entire surface is a heat source.

http://www.controlinduction.co.uk/french-plancha/drop-in-french-plancha/drop-in-french-plancha.html

Suite: http://www.controlinduction.co.uk/induction-hob-cooking-products/bespoke-induction-hobs/bespoke-induction-hobs.html?Itemid=71

email address: info@controlinduction.co.uk

Penn
01-06-2014, 08:27
Electrolux has a great product line, which home depot carries. Electrolux also has commercial rated units.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/SPC_BRD_AP_Electrolux?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|D29A&mid=sXdrCRwDQ|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_239265485 82_pkw_%2Belectrolux%20%2Bappliance_pmt_b&gclid=CIW22rng6bsCFaHm7AodQ2IADg

Team Sergeant
01-06-2014, 15:51
Just don't try to cook marshmallows over an induction cooktop :munchin

And if anything happens to the induction range top the repair bill will kill you.

Also if any of your cookware is warped induction cooking will be adversely affected.

Go look at some of the pros and cons.

Personally, I'd go gas.

mark46th
01-06-2014, 16:28
I have looked at induction but I will stay with gas. I prefer being able to actually see how high the flame is...

pyreaux
01-06-2014, 18:24
My brother who works on the side for an appliance shop ended up getting induction mostly for the ease of clean up in case of spill over going with a Wolf gas stove. Heat is as even as gas and as rapid to heat up. Faster to cool down due to the pot being heated vs the stove itself. If something boils over, you can lift the pot and it begins to cool immediately giving you a chance to clean up before it's burnt on.

Gotta have ferromagnetic cookware, Most but not all stainless will work. I think there are some cheaper brands that happen to be non magnetic. Pure aluminum doesn't work.

As mentioned by others, no power, no stove.

Gypsy
01-06-2014, 19:49
I personally dislike electric cooking so I'd vote gas range, but good luck on your choice.

That said If I ever win the lottery I would love to have something from this line.

http://www.lacornueusa.com/