PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Coin question

ProudGSMom
01-02-2014, 13:16
In the past 3+ years, I've received quite a few Challenge Coins. I understand the sentiment intended when they are presented to me, but I'm curious, how important-or not-are they when presented to you?

Part of the reason I'm asking is how it would be received if you were presented with a Gold Star Mothers challenge coin? We have them, and to us, they are quite significant. I've heard of some GSM handing them out like party favors, but personally, I have given two.

The first was to a mom who is not recognized as 'really' a Gold Star by the DoD because her son's death was not directly due to injuries sustained. But, that is a topic for another post another time.

The second I gave to a SFC who was the NCO IC of Rear D who took it upon himself personally to guarantee my family and I were well cared for while at the various memorials and other visits to the base. He was not our CAO or CNO and his efforts went way above and beyond. We were honored to be at the PUC ceremony and as his retirement ceremony was just days away, I chose that time to let him know how appreciated he was by giving him one of these challenge coins.

He was very moved, but then again, he is also a consummate professional and gentleman, so I don't know if he was merely touched by the gesture or if this coin will be considered the trump, so to speak. We've often joked about how I explained jokingly to Gen. Odierno's lackey (he was a pissant consumed with the importance of his position and irritated me) in front of the Gen., how the little Gold Star with a purple background worn over my mother's heart outranked the little clusters on the general's shoulder. Odierno busted up laughing and 'saluted' me. I told him 'at ease, soldier' and he laughed harder. For the record, I was joking.

The other part of the reason I'm asking is there is another individual who in my opinion has gone above and beyond in their service to and recognition of GS moms. I take the presenting of these coins very seriously and do not hand them out lightly. So, I am curious how they are actually received and perceived, divorced from my intent?

Thanks

1stindoor
01-02-2014, 13:21
For my part, I would be very moved. I suspect the individual you gave yours to was equally moved...and humbled.

ProudGSMom
01-02-2014, 14:01
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Can either of you - or anyone else - tell me how the overall tradition is viewed currently? Have either of you ever participated in the coin challenge? Is that even done anymore?

Peregrino
01-02-2014, 14:07
The challenge coin tradition dates all the way back to WWI. Pretty significant stuff.

I agree with 1st - the individuals you present them to probably suspect that yours aren't given out in an arbitrary manner.

Concur. Especially if you've personalized the coin with your Soldier's information. I've received a few challenge coins over the years and those that mean the most meant something to the person who presented them to me. Your sincerity and the significance of the presentation are readily apparent to the recipients and they'll assign the same value to the act that you do. FWIW.

The Reaper
01-02-2014, 18:01
When it was just SF and Airborne units, the unit coins meant something.

When every leg GO/FO and his CSM got a sack of them to hand out, the meaning was (to me) reduced. The aides carried around a ruck half filled with them.

I am sure that one with a name and a story behind it that is not handed out by the dozen has a special meaning.

Good on you.

TR

Utah Bob
01-02-2014, 23:12
When we got them in the 10th in Devens in 69, we had to buy them. Only significance was you'd be in deep shit financially at the bar if you didn't have yours with you.;)

MK262MOD1
01-03-2014, 09:27
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Can either of you - or anyone else - tell me how the overall tradition is viewed currently? Have either of you ever participated in the coin challenge? Is that even done anymore?

Ma'am,

It depends on the coin. In your case any one of us would be deeply deeply affected. That coin would mean a lot to whom ever you gave it to.

To answer your above question, yes coin challenges do still go on, Usually in smaller units, or at the bar during special occasions.

Team Sergeant
01-03-2014, 11:39
I have coins from many different sources, a few generals etc. But I have one you don't see very often. As has been said it depends on who it is from......

I got this one from some SF guy......

PSM
01-03-2014, 12:07

Now that is a treasure!

Any update on the SGM?

Pat

Roguish Lawyer
01-03-2014, 12:56
I have coins from many different sources, a few generals etc. But I have one you don't see very often. As has been said it depends on who it is from......

Ooh, ooh, can I play?

ProudGSMom
01-03-2014, 14:17
:) took me a while to figure out how to upload a photo on my iPad

VVVV
01-03-2014, 15:18
IMO, the coins are "cheapened" by the fact they are sold to any Tom, Dick, or Jane who ponies up the bucks to pay for them, so unless they are personalized they're just another trinket.

http://www.goldstarmoms.com/Members/MothersCupboard/MothersCupboard_Jewelry.htm

eBay...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-GOLD-STAR-MOTHERS-MILITARY-CHALLENGE-COMMEMORATIVE-COIN-/200998568307?nma=true&si=2dx4mgoROH2KOQRxGG6Re9%252Frvis%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Flagg
01-03-2014, 17:56
IMO, the coins are "cheapened" by the fact they are sold to any Tom, Dick, or Jane who ponies up the bucks to pay for them, so unless they are personalized they're just another trinket.

http://www.goldstarmoms.com/Members/MothersCupboard/MothersCupboard_Jewelry.htm

eBay...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-GOLD-STAR-MOTHERS-MILITARY-CHALLENGE-COMMEMORATIVE-COIN-/200998568307?nma=true&si=2dx4mgoROH2KOQRxGG6Re9%252Frvis%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On that note, I've seen this one unfortunately pop up on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200937370785?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649