PDA

View Full Version : Palau's economic anatomy from a local standpoint looking for professional views.

Thesis
12-27-2013, 19:06
It's economic standpoint.

I'm from there and so far it is continually feeding off of the US Department of Interior's money, and grant moneys, gift's from other countries as well.
I do not know of it's relations but I would like to see it to self sustain. One day.

I watched some of the recent "old" news in Palau and have shown the recent audited reports about the finance and they seem to look gloomy. Since the end of the COFA with the US. Palau is living under the remaining funds and now looking at charging more from the citizens's through a plethora of tariff's and taxes.

There lies an issue. The government of Palau's employees get paid more than the mediocre laborer that works in the private sector and the majority are not indigenous. Therefore, they collect money and the revenue leave's the island back to their homeland. So there's a steady flow of money leaving this small island. So another tariff/tax is put in place to charge for any money leaving the island.

The regular senate pay in Palau is about 50,000 annually and they continue to be corrupt (in some ways) by the views of numerous people I know. So it seems like the regular politicians back home are only in it for the money and not for the benefit of our people.

The big craze there is looking to work for the government, and that is another issue. There are less private sector jobs or sub contracted jobs from the government and less qualified people in the country and therefore they look for outside source to fill the open slots.

One point I like to put out is this, there is a Free Trade Zone that is not in use, and from my uncle who told me, "It is one of the oldest infrastructure used to build the industrial zone in the Philippines." So in my perspective is why has it not been used and how come it is not put forth to advertise the Free Trade Zone?

The answer I get from my Uncle is this. Due to Foreign Relations other countries does not trust Palau to come and build any industrial factory because there is poor relationship with business in Palau. For example, they have heard stories of such Japanese businessmen that came to Palau and made a deal with a local to use the land. (IAW Palau Constitution a foreigner cannot own any land in Palau except lease.) So when the deal goes through and the Japanese businessman get's the land he opens business and things go good. However, the local ends up raising the lease and to the businessman's dismay he leaves with a story to tell Japan about business relations.

A typical Palauan is all about money. It's ingrained in the tradition,culture and status (to some cases). If you do business he want's to know how much can he make from it instead of what can it do to benefit the island and our future generations. So business talks of a Palauan is all about money and not charity work.

False hope. The mentality back home is another issue. They have a grandiose view of the world and the island of Palau that is toxically influenced by t.v. except to those who are well educated or know from experience. They would give hope by setting solutions by publicly announcing them through forums and gain popularity instead of a well thought through and explanation of the solutions. To shortly explain, they only bark with no action and are those who are only here for the moment to save the day and leave with their own benefits.

To conclude, Palau is living on the edge and in the verge of a downfall if there are no solutions to the issues pointed here in my views. The last riot was in the 1970's when firearms was shot and I think someone got hurt that day. For the reason was an abuse of Civil Right's. So, I would hope to avoid that. And so, I would like to open this thread by asking anyone their professional views in the respective area of operations without breaking any laws foreign and domestic and operational. So that I can learn from.

This will probably be for my college economics class, and trust me I won't plagiarize. I'll use you guys as a source and add to the footnotes. With all of your consents.