PDA

View Full Version : Retired NCO going to ROTC

Thesis
12-25-2013, 22:23
Hello all,

I am a recently medically retired veteran, and am collecting 70% disability. As a civilian, I am trying to go to college and continue on with my life. I miss the adventure and am in hopes that I can continue to be an officer in the National Guard (or Active if my psych's said that I am fit for duty) through ROTC. I have contacted some friends who are recruiters and the POC for the Arizona State University ROTC and said that they will return a reply after Christmas.

My dilemma is that I did my own research and have found that DODMERB is the deciding factor for waiver's. I have found numerous sources and I don't know which one is the right one. The sources contained in the GOARMY.COM website said that I have to meet physical standards, As for the DOD directive on enlistment and appointment. A history of psychotic features is an automatic NO GO. Yet there can be exceptions.

My question is what are the chances that there would be a waiver for psychotic disorders?

I'd like to express my sincere apologies if I was out of line to anyone a while back (especially The Reaper)in 2009-2010. I was delirious and I was medevac'ed back to CONUS as soon as I was showing signs of depression. I had a lot on my mind during that time.

Thesis
12-26-2013, 06:22
The Army is downsizing, and that includes the officer corps. Entry standards are tightening in a big way.

Officers set the example for physical, behavioral and moral standards for those whom they command. They also have a demonstrated ability to remain objective and make good, timely decisions even under intense pressure.

Would you want to be commanded by an officer who already has a significant, established disability(ies)?

That said, good luck.

Thanks for the reply DocIllinois

I don't mind seeing an officer that has disabilities appointed over me. I think it shows character, but as long as he/she makes sound judgement then that is what I will push for. I heard of COAD but it never was mentioned when I signed my DA199 and I asked about it. The PEBLO just shrugged and said. I don't know. Anyways I will see what happens and give an update as to what happens.

Pete
12-26-2013, 07:05
To get in you have to prove you're not crazy - but to prove you're not crazy means you're not disabled.

With the Army downsizing you could win the battle but lose the war - and still not get in.

Thesis
12-26-2013, 07:53
To get in you have to prove you're not crazy - but to prove you're not crazy means you're not disabled.

With the Army downsizing you could win the battle but lose the war - and still not get in.

Thanks for the advice Pete,

Yes I have stabilized and I am looking forward for my next psych appointment and re-evaluation and tell them that I feel a lot better since my last tour overseas. I need medication though and if they decide to wean me off of it I will be happy to try. That will be my goal while I'm here in Yuma.

My friend who is a recruiter said that they only take prior-service only to go SF or Airborne qualified to stay with my MOS. He never mentioned the ROTC route so I am awaiting Arizona State University's ROTC POC for an answer.

I don't know if I'll go SFAS again to be an officer, since the last time I went there to be an 18E I was a non-select w/o NTR. Although I want to be a Green Beret, my intentions to wear the Green Beret was for the wrong reasons.

I enjoyed my time at LRS-C and that took out all the immature "wanna be a bad mofo" and just to say that I wasn't part of the big army for the moment.