PDA

View Full Version : WORLD FOCUS: Doris Baker at 96

Team Sergeant
12-22-2013, 09:46
OK, which one of you guys "changed her life to wonderful."??? :munchin

WORLD FOCUS: Doris Baker at 96
December 20, 2013
FRANK SHATZ , Lake Placid News
In a recent interview with the Lake Placid News and the Virginia Gazette, Doris Baker said, "Lady luck as well as the Great Depression have taken me through the 96 years of my life.

"I wanted to be an artist," she continued, "but believed that teaching first grade would provide me with a steadier livelihood. Thus, I took a teaching position at a U.S. Army Dependent School in West Germany and found that writing about my travel adventures, living among the Green Berets, and owning a couple of high-performance cameras, changed my life to wonderful."

Baker, a former resident of Williamsburg, now lives in Virginia Beach. She was born in Montana and grew up on her great-grandfather's farm in southern Michigan, in an 1836 house overlooking grain fields and rolling hills. She dreamed of faraway places too exotic for a country mind to imagine. But in 1950, she learned about a teaching position at a U.S. Army base in Bad Tolz, West Germany, and for the next 30 years she served there as a school principal.

Bad Tolz happened to be the first overseas American military base for the special forces. Her experience of living among the Green Berets served years later as the basis of her book, "The Originals." Albeit labeled as fiction, it reflects with great accuracy and insight on the lives, loves and exploits of that group of that elite, derring-do military fraternity. She has been called the only woman who has ever written an authentic tell-it-as-it-is book about the Green Berets.

Continued:

- See more at: http://www.lakeplacidnews.com/page/content.detail/id/521060/WORLD-FOCUS--Doris-Baker-at-96.html?nav=5001#sthash.yGgxgiq6.dpuf

cbtengr
12-22-2013, 10:26
Thank you for posting that, she has had a very long and adventuresome life.

mark46th
12-22-2013, 10:44
Not me. All my kids and grand-kids have almond eyes....