PDA

View Full Version : Will County Sheriffs Tacticool Truck??

JJ_BPK
12-21-2013, 06:40
Found this pic on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=690047071019623&set=a.114023465288656.13634.111770278847308&type=1&theater

Totally disagree with the use of the SF DUI on their OD GREEN emergency vehicle,, with ram front bumper, black-out windows, and possibly firing ports??

Talk about TOTALLY TACTICOOL BS.

Do we have anyone in the AO that might verify that the truck belongs to Will County Sheriffs Office, Joliet IL.

I think they need to be encourage to fix it.. :mad:

Snaquebite
12-21-2013, 07:31
I posted a comment.

Five-O
12-21-2013, 07:46
Found this pic on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=690047071019623&set=a.114023465288656.13634.111770278847308&type=1&theater

Totally disagree with the use of the SF DUI on their OD GREEN emergency vehicle,, with ram front bumper, black-out windows, and possibly firing ports??

Talk about TOTALLY TACTICOOL BS.

Do we have anyone in the AO that might verify that the truck belongs to Will County Sheriffs Office, Joliet IL.

I think they need to be encourage to fix it.. :mad:

Many new Lenco type armored vehicle do have firing ports. This vehicle looks like a converted fire truck so those "gun port" looking things are most likely not gun ports but various power connectors etc... That observation is based solely on the picture you posted. In terms of the SF crest or any military crest being on a police vehicle....just poor judgement IMO.

Richard
12-21-2013, 08:39
Sheriff Dept's SWAT team - they call it a Special Operations Group and state it has been around since 1984. Maybe an original member or two were ex-SF, or the group liked the 'DOL' motto or whatever because of their mission to free hostages and such.

Who knows, but it'll be interesting to hear their responses to any inquiries about it.

Richard

Leozinho
12-21-2013, 08:46
I don't think there are firing ports. I believe the truck is meant to be a mobile command center, not a troop carrier or assault vehicle.

I also disagree with the use of the DUI.

Snaquebite
12-22-2013, 06:58
Sheriff Dept's SWAT team - they call it a Special Operations Group and state it has been around since 1984. Maybe an original member or two were ex-SF, or the group liked the 'DOL' motto or whatever because of their mission to free hostages and such.

Who knows, but it'll be interesting to hear their responses to any inquiries about it.

Richard

Here's a link to their patch...:munchin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/inventorchris2/6947879965/

Pete
12-22-2013, 07:04
Dude, what's up with the mustache at the top of the patch?

JJ_BPK
12-22-2013, 08:26
Dude, what's up with the mustache at the top of the patch?

That patch looks like a chineese knock-off. It's sooo bad..

Team Sergeant
12-22-2013, 09:16
This comment had me rolling..."Armed social workers", I've got tears in my eyes.....:D

Wait until Joe Public realizes their local "Armed social workers" are comparing themselves to steely eyed trained killers.......

"Armed social workers" I'm stealing that..... and I'm still laughing.

Jon Coad: I am tired of people who became cops because they got their lunch money stolen from them as kids thinking they are good enough to compare themselves to Special Forces. If you want to play Army then sign up, until then you are just armed social workers. You made your decision now stick to it and quit trying to improve your self image by posing as something you're not.

ProudGSMom
12-22-2013, 10:15
The bus is real and as someone guessed, it is built on a fire truck chassis.

Will County, according to neighboring Cook County (aka locally as Crook County) suffers from a Napoleon complex. According to Will county, Cook (and Chicago) gets all the toys and equipment and doesn't share. So, Will has been able to get some big grants, both State and Fed, but with the caveat that they must share.

For example, Will took delivery of a state of the art 1.2 million dollar communications and command bus. Among other things, it has it's own IP address, satellite, UHF, VHF and the ability to roll up to a 911 center, plug in and take over communications. In exchange, Will is required to respond and deploy anywhere in Northern Illinois. Basically from south of the I-80 to the Wisconsin border, Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River. And they do this with a dedicated volunteer force.

It has to be remembered that in Will County, it's immediate environs and it's declared AO, there have been most of the areas major disasters. The F5 tornado that flattened Plainfield and killed 39; the storms that just hit Washington; the flooding that drowned a half dozen towns along the Illinois and Kankakee rivers and don't forget about the nuclear power plants, all the coal and oil fired plants and the refineries, petro- and other chemical plants.

Of last note, Joliet is the only city in the area, and it's reputation as a crime plagued nest is both well earned and true. But, it and Will county are also one of the fastest growing communities in the nation so I'll grant Joliets reputation and reality are changing. It just depends on how you define 'Joliet'. So, it is logical for Will to have the latest and greatest. Oh, and those 'firing ports' are for communication connections (at least that is what they say 😜).

BingoBango
12-22-2013, 17:49
This comment had me rolling..."Armed social workers", I've got tears in my eyes.....:D

Wait until Joe Public realizes their local "Armed social workers" are comparing themselves to steely eyed trained killers.......

"Armed social workers" I'm stealing that..... and I'm still laughing.

Jon Coad: I am tired of people who became cops because they got their lunch money stolen from them as kids thinking they are good enough to compare themselves to Special Forces. If you want to play Army then sign up, until then you are just armed social workers. You made your decision now stick to it and quit trying to improve your self image by posing as something you're not.

First I would like to say that I think using the crest as they did was in poor judgement on the agencies part.

You realize that a lot of combat "steely eyed trained killer" veterans have moved on from Army life into civilian law enforcement, don't you? I realize I'm in your back yard, but that level of disrespect isn't needed towards law enforcement especially coming from a leader of a group who has earned their title as Professional Soldiers.

Pete
12-22-2013, 18:27
..... I realize I'm in your back yard, but that level of disrespect isn't needed towards law enforcement .......

Respect isn't given it has to be earned.

For Cops they have to earn it every day.

Team Sergeant
12-22-2013, 18:41
First I would like to say that I think using the crest as they did was in poor judgement on the agencies part.

You realize that a lot of combat "steely eyed trained killer" veterans have moved on from Army life into civilian law enforcement, don't you? I realize I'm in your back yard, but that level of disrespect isn't needed towards law enforcement especially coming from a leader of a group who has earned their title as Professional Soldiers.

I'm sure some LEO's are former military, but you might want to keep in mind only 10% of the military do the killing face to face.
And I'm still laughing.......;)

sinjefe
12-22-2013, 19:02

Not just poor judgment. It's a slap in the face and it is a gross display of ignorance. LEOs should know better. Since you weren't in SF, you wouldn't understand.

The Reaper
12-22-2013, 22:45
Not just poor judgment. It's a slap in the face and it is a gross display of ignorance. LEOs should know better. Since you weren't in SF, you wouldn't understand.

Precisely.

How do you feel about people pretending to be cops?

TR

ProudGSMom
12-23-2013, 09:17
Precisely.

How do you feel about people pretending to be cops?

TR

TR- pithy. The disdain in which LEO hold rent-a-cops who swagger thru the mall with their almost uniforms, pepper spray holsters and shoulder mics is the perfect analogy.