PDA

View Full Version : Migrants Told 'Speak English Or No Benefits'

JJ_BPK
12-21-2013, 05:03
The UK may have something here??

Migrants Told 'Speak English Or No Benefits'

A tougher test is to be introduced for migrants looking to claim benefits amid fears of an influx of Romanians and Bulgarians.

Migrants who cannot speak English well enough to get a job face being denied benefits under a new tougher test, the Work and Pensions Secretary has said.

The upgraded test for migrants who want to claim income-related benefits will be rolled out across Jobcentres this week.

Those applying will have to answer more individually tailored questions, provide more detailed answers and submit more evidence before they can claim.

For the first time migrants will be quizzed about whether their English language skills will be a barrier to them finding employment and about what efforts they had made to find work before coming to the UK.

Officials will have 200 questions to choose from when assessing claimants - 100 more than previously.

Iain Duncan Smith said: "It is vitally important that we have strict rules in place to protect the integrity of our benefits system.

"The British public are rightly concerned that migrants should contribute to this country and not be drawn here by the attractiveness of our benefits system.

"And we are taking action to ensure that that is the case.

"The roll-out of the new habitual residence test is the first in a series of measures to ensure that we have a fair system: one which provides support for genuine workers and jobseekers, but does not allow people to come to our country and take advantage.

"It is a crucial part of our long-term plan to secure Britain's economy."

Britain is already in a legal battle with the European Commission which says that it unlawful to test immigrants before they can claim benefits.

It comes amid concerns over an influx of Romanians and Bulgarians next month when they will be entitled to come to the UK for work and will be able to claim benefits like other EU citizens.

The Prime Minister was accused of "hysteria" and turning Britain into the "nasty country" last month when he announced new measures that would bar EU migrants from claiming out-of-work benefits, such as jobseeker's allowance, for their first three months in the UK.

Labour's shadow welfare minister Chris Bryant said: "For generations, people have come to this country and worked hard to contribute to Britain, but the principle of contribution is an important one, and the controls on immigration must be fair to those who live here.

"That is why Labour called for stronger restrictions on benefits for new arrivals from the EU, including proposals eight months ago to strengthen the habitual residence test to make it clear that people should not be able to claim benefits when they first arrive.

"At the time, the Government dismissed those proposals, but eight months later they have changed their minds and keep re-announcing their proposals.

"Yet the Government are still doing nothing to tackle the serious problem of low-skilled migrant workers being exploited, undercutting local workers and responsible businesses too.

"That is bad for everyone, yet they are doing nothing about it."

source link (http://news.sky.com/story/1181690/migrants-told-speak-english-or-no-benefits)

Joker
12-21-2013, 07:00
Those insensitive, uncaring, Europeans! That would be one aspect we should adopt. Converse at the 1/1, or better, level or go without until you can.

Snaquebite
12-21-2013, 07:35
Never see it happen here...not sure how long it will last in the UK.

alelks
12-21-2013, 07:39
Personally I like the idea. Give them so many months to pass a basic English language test and if they can't give them that many more months to try again without any benefits throughout that time period.

Oldrotorhead
12-21-2013, 08:55
Why do we need or want immigrants if they need anything more than a job when they get here? They should have had a lot of time to learn English before they start taking from the system rather than adding to it. Persommaly I think if they need more in services than they contribute we don't need tham and I personally don't want them.

mojaveman
12-21-2013, 09:57
So what happens after a number years when you have tens of thousands of people from another culture living in yours who are drawing social benefits and not integrating?

Not good.

Excellent idea about the language requirements.

Due to the nature of my job and the fact that I live in Southern California, I interact with illegal immigrants regularly. When communicating with them I usually give them a few chances but sometimes just hang up.

cbtengr
12-21-2013, 10:54
Speak English and READ English. It will never happen here though it's not inclusive enough.

TOMAHAWK9521
12-21-2013, 12:54
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Wales still requires immigrants to master the basics (speaking/reading) of the Welsh language within 1 year of arrival or else they are encouraged to emmigrate. Doesn't sound like too much of an inconvenience to me.

Dusty
12-21-2013, 12:59
Now that the Latinos have turned on him, Pinnocchio might be amenable to stricter immigration guidelines.:rolleyes:

Stobey
12-21-2013, 22:39
Now that the Latinos have turned on him, Pinnocchio might be amenable to stricter immigration guidelines.:rolleyes:

Not likely. He still wants those 10-20 million Democrat voters!

Razor
12-23-2013, 14:42
From http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/path-us-citizenship:

Path to U.S. Citizenship

Eligibility Requirements

If you are a green card holder of at least 5 years, you must meet the following requirements in order to apply for naturalization:
•Be 18 or older at the time of filing
•Be a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
•Have lived within the state, or USCIS district with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence, for at least 3 months prior to the date of filing the application
•Have continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
•Be physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
•Reside continuously within the United States from the date of application for naturalization up to the time of naturalization
•Be able to read, write, and speak English and have knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government (civics).
•Be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States during all relevant periods under the law

JimP
12-23-2013, 15:17
Razor - why would they be interested in citizenship when we give them dam near everything as it is...??