PDA

View Full Version : Obama adviser sorry for comparing GOP to Jonestown cult

PSM
12-18-2013, 19:00
John Podesta was just named as a new senior-level adviser to President Obama last week, but he's already ruffling Republican feathers.

In a profile published late Tuesday by Politico Magazine, Podesta is quoted comparing Republicans to the infamous cult led by Jim Jones, who was responsible for the 1978 cyanide poisoning of more than 900 of his followers in Guyana.

"They need to focus on executive action given that they are facing a second term against a cult worthy of Jonestown in charge of one of the houses of Congress," said Podesta of what Obama's White House team faces. Jonestown was the informal name of the settlement founded by Jones and his American followers.

On Wednesday, Podesta apologized for his impolitic comment.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2013/12/18/podesta-gop-jonestown-cult/4109385/

Good thing, since Jones' rise to power was aided by some very famous San Francisco Democrats: Gov. Jerry Brown, Willie Brown, Mayor Moscone, Harvey Milk, and, then, Supervisor Dianne Feinstein to name the more famous.

From a Salon article: "Not content to hear dignitaries whisper flatteries into his ear, Jones staged a testimonial banquet in his own honor and demanded that politicians in his debt offer him public tribute. On the evening of September 25, 1976, the Peoples Temple headquarters on Geary Boulevard was converted into a formal dining hall with linen tablecloths and floral arrangements. At the head table sat Mayor Moscone, District Attorney Freitas, and Assemblyman Willie Brown, who acted as the evening’s exuberant master of ceremonies. As he introduced the man of the hour to the overflow audience, Brown reached new heights of shameless, ass-kissing puffery. 'Let me present to you,' Brown roared, 'a combination of Martin King, Angela Davis, Albert Einstein . . . Chairman Mao.' By the time Jones rose to tumultuous applause, he seemed likely to walk on water."

Link: http://www.salon.com/2012/05/01/jim_jones_sinister_grip_on_san_francisco/

I especially like the comparison to Mao; it shows just who they truly admire.

Pat

Team Sergeant
12-18-2013, 20:34
I remember that as many in the 82nd Airborne went down there to clean up..... and many of the "cleaners" needed mental health help after returning.

god bless San Francisco Democrats: Gov. Jerry Brown, Willie Brown, Mayor Moscone, Harvey Milk, and, then, Supervisor Dianne Feinstein who assisted in the murder of dozens of little kids........

rubberneck
12-18-2013, 20:38
He got the chairman Mao part right, a power hungry megalomaniac who butchered scores of his followers.

Oldrotorhead
12-18-2013, 21:00
I think he is right in his opinion. Washington D.C. Republicans are drinking the Koolade and trying to get us to drink it too.

Streck-Fu
12-19-2013, 07:18
He is not sorry for being honest.......Damage control is not atonement.

Streck-Fu
12-19-2013, 07:20
god bless San Francisco Democrats: Gov. Jerry Brown, Willie Brown, Mayor Moscone, Harvey Milk, and, then, Supervisor Dianne Feinstein who assisted in the murder of dozens of little kids........

Very interesting indeed that an appointed Democrat tries to associate Republicans with the actions of another Democrat....

MR2
12-19-2013, 08:12
Guess we now know who will be replacing Phil Robertson on Duck Dynasty...

pcfixer
12-19-2013, 08:31
Guess we now know who will be replacing Phil Robertson on Duck Dynasty...

Huh:confused: I little sarcasm in this remark! ROFLOL

Toaster
12-19-2013, 11:22
I remember that as many in the 82nd Airborne went down there to clean up..... and many of the "cleaners" needed mental health help after returning.

Exposing ignorance here...are you saying that Soldiers from the 82nd went to Jonestown to clean up bodies? Or that he was responsible for a massacre somewhere else and Soldiers had to take arms against a paramilitary group?

sinjefe
12-19-2013, 11:37
Exposing ignorance here...are you saying that Soldiers from the 82nd went to Jonestown to clean up bodies? Or that he was responsible for a massacre somewhere else and Soldiers had to take arms against a paramilitary group?

Humanitarian assistance with combat troops to provide security and to "rescue" an unknown number of cultists that were believed to be hiding in the surrounding jungle.

http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/AboutJonestown/JonestownReport/Volume12/ckg1.htm

Some propaganda in the above site, but some good facts also;

USSOUTHCOM supported commander. A JTF was formed initially consisting of Medical personnel and elements from the 193rd in Panama.

A lot of conspiracy theories related to this, especially with respect to the US military. I had a good friend of mine who was in SFQC with me, was in the 193rd and went to Guyana. He backs up what was written in the above link. They were their to provide security for the Medical folks and mortuary affairs but, because of the sheer number, they ended up putting a lot of people in body bags.