PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

jarmyguy
11-24-2004, 05:06
we are thinking about to purchase OAKLEY sunglasses for your units deploying in Iraq and would like some feedback from on this product :lifter

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

The Reaper
11-24-2004, 08:44
we are thinking about to purchase OAKLEY sunglasses for your units deploying in Iraq and would like some feedback from on this product :lifter

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Could you fill in your profile so that we know who we are answering?

FTFSI.

TR

shadowflyer
11-24-2004, 21:35
I have the M-Frame SI Array and I have been nothing but pleased with it. I also have the Polarized SI Twenty's and I enjoy those as well.

The M Frame's have served me well on range days with GSC as I have had spent brass hit them several times and was thankful I was wearing them.

JJ

NousDefionsDoc
11-24-2004, 21:53
Oakley - GTG

SP5IC
11-25-2004, 07:47
My question would be, how do you keep them from getting scratched? I understand <second-hand> that the powderery sand/dust will ruin expensive sunglasses. What is the story? Can they be coated to resist scratching?

Surgicalcric
11-25-2004, 08:06
I have the M-Frame SI Array and I have been nothing but pleased with it. I also have the Polarized SI Twenty's and I enjoy those as well.

JJ

uggg...M frames.

Personally I favor the Half-Jackets.

Crip

Team Sergeant
11-25-2004, 09:04
My question would be, how do you keep them from getting scratched? I understand <second-hand> that the powderery sand/dust will ruin expensive sunglasses. What is the story? Can they be coated to resist scratching?

Oakleys are the heat. I've worn them on many a range. Yes they get scratched but no more than amy other sunglasses I've worn. Being issued you can turn them in for new ones. Plus Oakley offers LEO and military damn good prices!

We used to place them in used smoke grenage containers for transport in our rucksacks, never saw one crushed.

TS

NousDefionsDoc
11-25-2004, 09:15

You can't prevent it 100%. I have a pair I bought in Venezuela about 6 years ago. i've worn them on the flat range, in the house, everywhere. They are scratched up some, but still serviceable.

The smoke grenade canister is a great idea. There are also people that make cases for them.

At the end of the day, they are worth it to protect your eyes. I have a bigger problem with losing them than breaking them, so I fag cord them around my neck. Pat Rogers did a really good write up on them for shooting. I'll see if I can find it.

Tuukka
11-25-2004, 10:03
Thumbs up.

NousDefionsDoc
11-25-2004, 10:32
Thread on eye pro (http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=50;t=000446#000000)

here ya go. Lot of good G2 on this one.

NousDefionsDoc
11-25-2004, 10:35
Thumbs up.

LOL - Tuuka, Chillin' like a villain.

Tuukka
11-25-2004, 14:48
The C Wires have worked for me, one 35mile continous ski movement that saw some nasty falls/flips in the terrain. Had the eyewear in a bergen sidepocket and they withstood the travel.

NDD, admin range day with PKMs and other gadgets...

luv2swm
11-28-2004, 12:57
You mean that there are other sunglass companies other than Oakley?! No, seriously, I have been sporting Oakleys since they came out in the late 80's. There are other cheaper alternatives like Bolle, etc. But a good comfortable pair of Oakleys is the best bet. They have lead the industry in ANSI rated eye protection, and have many patents on eye protection systems. They have had some interesting tangents but always produce a product to appeals to the masses. They do unavoidably scratch, nobody has developed a completely scratch resistant lens, not ones that will block certain wavelengths of light, yet. The best for limited scratches is the plain or normal lens, also the cheapest. The anodized (iridium) lenses are the most susceptible to scratching, but they look the coolest, so higher cost. Don't go cheap and get knock-offs, you won't get the guaranteed protection ratings. Just protect them when they aren't on your face and clean them with the protective microfire cloth (bag), esp the iridium. You can use a clean cotton t-shirt for the normal lenses. Be careful to replace scratched lenses, your eyes will unconsciously focus on the scratches and over a long period of time damage your eyesight.

uboat509
12-21-2004, 00:14
I am a huge fan of Oakleys but about 6 or 8 months ago I was on their website and found some tactical goggles. At the time I was searching for something to replace our Bolles. I found the Oakley goggles which were vented to reduce fogging as well as having the usual Oakley quality. Some things came up and I wasn't able to follow up on it. I recently went back to the website and now I can't find the tactical googles. Did they stop making them or are they offering them through another website or vendor? Also I was wondering if anyone here has used the ESS NVG 1 goggles? I have been looking at them as well and was wondering if they are as good as the hype.

Thanks
SSG W

BearFlag
12-21-2004, 04:04
I am a big fan of Oakleys, I had my last pair for at least 5 years and they held me thru all sorts of tribulations. Everything from beach volleyball dives, swimming, mountain biking, rock climbing, and shooting. My Oakley M-Frames are always with me, or they were. I recently was a pyle and ran them over w/ my truck, guess what, the frames are still good, I just need to replace the lense!

In all seriousness I can vouch for the level of eye safety of Oakley glasses. My eye-pro saves my eyes in a gasoline explosion. I had burns on my face, chest, and arms. but my eyes are still better than 20/20. I know for a fact without my Oakleys I would have been SOL.

I am looking forward to getting myself some new Mag M-Frame's in a bit, if Santa Claus doesn't buy me a pair. :)

NousDefionsDoc
12-21-2004, 06:50
I am a huge fan of Oakleys but about 6 or 8 months ago I was on their website and found some tactical goggles. At the time I was searching for something to replace our Bolles. I found the Oakley goggles which were vented to reduce fogging as well as having the usual Oakley quality. Some things came up and I wasn't able to follow up on it. I recently went back to the website and now I can't find the tactical googles. Did they stop making them or are they offering them through another website or vendor? Also I was wondering if anyone here has used the ESS NVG 1 goggles? I have been looking at them as well and was wondering if they are as good as the hype.

Thanks
SSG W

No, they still make them. I have a brand new set still in the box in my bag. Call them.

stinney
12-23-2004, 14:11
I wore Oakley’s For years an liked the a lot, but earlier this when I started working with the Forest Service, all of the guys on the Drew swore by Smith Optics, So during a group buy I bought a Pair and like them even better than the Oakley’s. I have the Frontline Max Interchangeable lens model and they are damn near bullet proof. I Have taken them all over the country running through the woods working fire line and they don’t fog up no matter how hard I'm working, They are still scratch free despite several drops, tree limbs rocks etc. The interchangeable lenses are all ANSI compliant and able to switch on the fly is invaluable when working a fire and transitioning from daylight to nighttime ops.

Just my $.02

In case you wanna check them out
here (http://www.smithsport.com/index.html)