PDA

View Full Version : Couple, four children missing ...

Pete
12-10-2013, 12:05
Couple, four children missing in frigid Nevada mountains after trip to play in the snow

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21839847-couple-four-children-missing-in-frigid-nevada-mountains-after-trip-to-play-in-the-snow?lite

"Rescue teams resumed a search operation Tuesday in northwest Nevada for a couple and four children who disappeared over the weekend in a snow-covered mountainous area as sub-zero temperatures continued to grip the region.

James Glanton, 34, and Christina MacIntee, 25, took their two children, ages 3 and 4, and a niece, 10, and nephew, 4, to "go play in the snow" on Sunday, but they didn't return home, according to Pershing County Sheriff Richard Machado........"

Sad story - for the children. Hope the searchers find them alive.

They didn't do anything I wouldn't do except - throw that get-a-way bag in the back of the jeep with a couple of extra MREs to go with the wool blankets folded up under the seat. Plus make sure the gas tank was full.

Lan
12-10-2013, 12:21
Sad indeed. I am taking a trip to Idaho with my kids in a couple days. Will be bringing food, water, blankets, protection, extra fuel and snow chains. If anyone could lend advice about what they'd bring other than that I would greatly appreciate it.

A local woman and her husband returned to their Nevada home last year after the holidays. The husband died and his wife barely survived because he thought it'd be a good idea to take his jeep offroad southwest of Tahoe. Never wheel alone or prepared. Some idiot friends and I took a wheelin trip near Donner and nearly froze to death. Long story I'll spare you :p

tonyz
12-10-2013, 12:41
Lan,

I try to bring my Trangia alcohol stove and plenty of fuel - especially in a vehicle when space is not a big issue - a nice hot cup of tea or hot soup sure seems to lift the spirits.

Have not been stranded outdoors but have used on hikes in NC mountains in shoulder seasons (some snow) and warm drinks made some relatively cold hikes more enjoyable.

I would image in more severe weather a small pocket stove and fuel in a vehicle might be helpful. Kids might like hot chocolate.

FWIW, I often throw the surplus three bag sleep system in the truck as insurance when expecting snowy/cold when in the higher elevations along the east coast. Two sets of surplus sleep systems if my wife is traveling with me.

The Reaper
12-10-2013, 12:54
Sad indeed. I am taking a trip to Idaho with my kids in a couple days. Will be bringing food, water, blankets, protection, extra fuel and snow chains. If anyone could lend advice about what they'd bring other than that I would greatly appreciate it.

A local woman and her husband returned to their Nevada home last year after the holidays. The husband died and his wife barely survived because he thought it'd be a good idea to take his jeep offroad southwest of Tahoe. Never wheel alone or prepared. Some idiot friends and I took a wheelin trip near Donner and nearly froze to death. Long story I'll spare you :p

EPIRB, PLB, or SPOT.

TR

Lan
12-10-2013, 13:07
Lan,

I try to bring my Trangia alcohol stove and plenty of fuel - especially in a vehicle when space is not a big issue - a nice hot cup of tea or hot soup sure seems to lift the spirits.

Have not been stranded outdoors but have used on hikes in NC mountains in shoulder seasons (some snow) and warm drinks made some relatively cold hikes more enjoyable.

I would image in more severe weather a small pocket stove and fuel in a vehicle might be helpful. Kids might like hot chocolate.

FWIW, I often throw the surplus three bag sleep system in the truck as insurance when expecting snowy/cold when in the higher elevations along the east coast. Two sets of surplus sleep systems if my wife is traveling with me.

Great idea. I will definitely bring my stove and some MRE's just in case. Thank you very much!

EPIRB, PLB, or SPOT.

TR

Thank you very much sir. I don't have an emergency beacon but I will do my research to find one that suits our needs.

Thank you both for your help.

Requiem
12-10-2013, 13:58
Tow rope, come-along, and a shovel. We often carry these with us. Thankfully we haven't had a need for them ourselves, but we've helped others.

S.

Streck-Fu
12-10-2013, 14:34
LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/us/winter-weather/)

(CNN) -- Rescuers located two adults and four children Tuesday who had gone missing two days earlier after they ventured to play in the snow in a mountainous area in northwest Nevada, authorities said.

The group was found safe in an area called Trinity Canyon and were in fairly good condition, according to the Pershing County Sheriff's Office.

The announcement came about mid-day Tuesday as more than 200 people scoured a vast frozen range of Nevada spanning 6,000 square miles. The group went missing in their Jeep on Sunday, authorities said.

The disappearance of a man with his two children and a woman with her niece and nephew was among the most dramatic developments in the Arctic-like weather shocking much of the Lower 48 states.

Officials in Nevada remained undaunted despite the fact they no longer received pings off the cell phone of the missing persons Tuesday, said Sheila Reitz of Pershing County Sheriff's Office.

On Monday, authorities had been encouraged when they were able to receive of couple of pings from the phone of James Glanton, 34, officials said. Cell service is spotty because the area is so remote.

Also rescued were Glanton's two children and Christina MacIntee, 25, along with and her niece and nephew. The children range from 3 to 10 years old, the sheriff's office said. They all set out to play in the snow in the Seven Troughs mountain range Sunday and never returned.

On Tuesday morning, a massive search for them involved vehicles, planes and helicopters, Reitz said.

Before the group was found, worries ran high as thermometers plunged below zero overnight.

"The temperatures out here are very cold, and we'd like to bring a successful end to this," Sheriff Richard Machado said on a snow-packed country road. "We'd like to find them, just as soon as we can."

Family friend Joan Weagant was also on the scene. "We just got to find them. We've known them forever, you know. And those little tiny kids can't be out there in the cold. None of them can be out there in the cold," she said.

Amanda Fitzpatrick, mother of 10-year-old Shelby Fitzpatrick, one of the missing children, had also joined the search in the bitter cold.

"It's been extremely hard, probably the hardest 24 to 36 hours of my life," she earlier told CNN's Piers Morgan. "It's my baby girl."

Pete
12-11-2013, 14:24
Group that survived two days in frigid Nevada wilderness calls rescuers 'valiant'

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21839847-group-that-survived-two-days-in-frigid-nevada-wilderness-calls-rescuers-valiant?lite

From the story "... The rescuer, Chris Montes, said that Glanton built a fire inside a spare tire, used brush and wood from nearby for kindling, and heated rocks to take back to the Jeep. His ingenuity was hailed as the difference between life and death..."

He made do and they survived. You make do with what you have.

But a canteen cup and some packets of instant hot drinks would have gone a long way. "What do you have in the glove box or under the seat?"

cbtengr
12-11-2013, 17:11
They are very fortunate that none of them were seriously injured in the rollover. IMO the adults showed some really poor judgment here.

Team Sergeant
12-12-2013, 12:54
Group that survived two days in frigid Nevada wilderness calls rescuers 'valiant'

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/10/21839847-group-that-survived-two-days-in-frigid-nevada-wilderness-calls-rescuers-valiant?lite

From the story "... The rescuer, Chris Montes, said that Glanton built a fire inside a spare tire, used brush and wood from nearby for kindling, and heated rocks to take back to the Jeep. His ingenuity was hailed as the difference between life and death..."

He made do and they survived. You make do with what you have.

But a canteen cup and some packets of instant hot drinks would have gone a long way. "What do you have in the glove box or under the seat?"

An AR-15, ten full mags and a copy of the Constitution of the United States. :munchin