PDA

View Full Version : Officer Candidates

jatx
11-23-2004, 15:56
Gentlemen,

I am a non-prior service individual interested in service with either the 19th or 20th Special Forces Groups. I live in Texas, but I am willing to travel for drill.

While I have seen a wealth of information on this Board and others concerning the Rep. 63 enlistment option, as well as the pre-SFAS NQP activities and pipeline for candidates entering as enlisted men, I would like to learn more about the options for officer candidates. TR suggested that some of you may be able to help me in this respect.

Specifically,

1. What roles are available for junior-grade, non-tabbed officers? I am interested in learning where I might be able to contribute in an HHC, Support Company, or at the Battalion level. While my incoming goal will be to successfully complete the pipeline and serve as an 18A, I am realistic enough to know that (a) I may not pass Selection despite my best efforts, and (b) I would want to continue serving with the Group anyway.

2. Has anyone here taken this approach themself, or known someone who has that would be willing/able to answer questions (particularly about the pre-SOPC training pipeline)? I am, of course, willing to provide you with relevant personal details privately.

3. What is the best way to identify open slots for Os? Through the Group HHC recruiter?

Thanks in advance. I hope this thread will also be helpful for others more interested in the OCS contract option than either 18X or Rep. 63 enlistment. :munchin

CommoGeek
11-23-2004, 16:22
Here it is in a nutshell:

Each BSC has 3 untabbed O slots: Quartermaster, Signal, and MI. HHD has a surgeon, PA, Signal, MI, and chaplain. HHC at Group has the same plus Chemical and a JAG. I've also seen experienced IN branch O's work at BN as the S-1 or S-4.

To get in: a vacancy must exist and you'll need to contact that unit (The BN S-1) to see if they have an opening or an upcoming opening for your Branch. The rub is they probably won't talk to you until you are in the State OCS program (more at the bottom) and if you don't get a job there you have to go find a unit elsewhere in the State to go to when you complete OCS.

The State OCS pipeline is about 16 months, give or take a few months. Those that have a degree and would turn 35 before the incoming class graduate (graduating is typicall between June-Sep.) will have the opportunity to go to the State's accelerated OCS program which is 2 weeks, a drill or two, 6 weeks, a drill or tow, 2 weeks and then commission with that grad. date around December. Candidates typically go hunting for a unit around their mid-way point in the program (about December/ January).

I went through the State's OCS pipeline to get to an SF BN, but I was also an NCO in that same unit for 6 years prior. Others got in because they knew someone or plain lucked out. I was untabbed before OCS and after, a 25C Signal Officer.

Units are as follows:
HHC 20th - Birmingham, AL
1/20 BSC - Huntsville, AL
2/20 BSC - Jackson, MS
3/20 BSC Camp Blanding, FL (just south of Jacksonville)

HHC 19th - Draper, UT
1/19 BSC - Riverton, UT
2/19 BSC - Kenvova, WV
5/19 BSC - Watkins, CO

Good luck!

Jo Sul
11-23-2004, 17:28
I am an OCS TAC Officer in NM, Texas falls in the same region (F) - If you go OCS I will probably get to own your ass for a few weeks at least. The state OCS program is 18 months - classes start every March and graduate every September. You will want to go through OCS in the state where your desired unit will be (BAD juju to ask for an out-of-state unit after the state has spent alot of money putting you through OCS). If you want to start OCS in March you need to get your paperwork started NOW.

CG is accurate on the rest of it - might be hard to get into an SF unit as an untabbed 2LT with no prior service. Probably need to go to another unit first then work your way to SF.

Maas
11-23-2004, 19:49
Hey CG,
What about GSC? :p

Shark Bait
11-24-2004, 08:40
FYI, as an officer in SF you will depend heavily on your team for nearly everything. If you don't perform they will eat you alive and you will be gone. You need some very good leadership skills and no "high and mighty" attitude. If you're up to it, great. Good luck.

CommoGeek
11-24-2004, 10:02
Hey CG,
What about GSC? :p

What's GSC? :D

I always lumped them into Group's HHC in my mind so I thought their location was the same. I thought 20th's GSC moved to McClellan, but they did do most of their COMMEX's out of McClellan. I'd presume 19th's to be in UT.

We rarely interacted with GSC, preferring instead to be an island at the BN level. As a result GSC was treated as "day labor" for JRTC deployments. Looking back, that's something I wished we'd done differently. Being Guard and having our GSC 10 hours away by POV didn't help either.

Surgicalcric
11-24-2004, 18:06
What's GSC? :D

I always lumped them into Group's HHC in my mind so I thought their location was the same. I thought 20th's GSC moved to McClellan, but they did do most of their COMMEX's out of McClellan. I'd presume 19th's to be in UT.

Hmmmm... My data may be dated as they, GSC and HHC, were doing some reorganization when I left for training but GSC was at the Birmingham Airport. As for where they did COMMEX, I believe they still do most of them at Ft McClellan.

Maybe Shadowflyer can shed some light on the location of GSC at this time.

Crip

shadowflyer
11-24-2004, 21:14
::IntelGeek mode on::I am not at liberty to discuss the present location of 20th SF GRP (A) GSC....but I know that I go to drill at the Birmingham Airport ....and I do my actual job at the HHC location which will remain undisclosed::IntelGeek mode off::

JJ

Jo Sul
11-24-2004, 21:17
But do you do any actual work there?

Last time somebody asked me, "how many people work here?" I answered "about half of them".

Surgicalcric
11-24-2004, 21:23
...IntelGeek mode off::

JJ

YEAH...right.

But do you do any actual work there?

Not that I have ever seen... Then again, I dont get to visit much back in the 'Cave' where he claims to work. :munchin

Crip

shadowflyer
11-24-2004, 21:33
YEAH...right.

Not that I have ever seen... Then again, I dont get to visit much back in the 'Cave' where he claims to work. :munchin

Crip

Shhh dont tell anyone ..is the best kept secret in SF ...;)...I think our MIDET has a bunch of hardworking soldiers who take pride in providing the best Intel we can get and getting it to the CO and the ODA's as fast as we can.

JJ

Maas
12-02-2004, 14:54
CG,
:p

jatx
07-25-2006, 17:42
I hate to revive an old thread, but...

I swore in today with 2nd Bn., 20th SFG (A) as an officer candidate (09S contract). I leave for BCT at Ft. Jackson on October 3rd.

Many thanks to SSGLOCKERT for all his help.

:lifter

CPTAUSRET
07-25-2006, 17:56
I hate to revive an old thread, but...

I swore in today with 2nd Bn., 20th SFG (A) as an officer candidate (09S contract). I leave for BCT at Ft. Jackson on October 3rd.

Many thanks to SSGLOCKERT for all his help.

:lifter

Good luck.

Here's to getting what you want.

NousDefionsDoc
07-25-2006, 18:20
Congratulations and good luck. The mark to measure is high.

Roguish Lawyer
07-25-2006, 19:22
Best of luck to you, jatx.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-25-2006, 19:45
Good luck and do well!

Gypsy
07-25-2006, 19:54
Good luck jatx!

vsvo
07-25-2006, 21:14
Congrats and good luck, jatx!

Texian
07-25-2006, 21:50
Congratulations, fellow Texan! Do your best!

aricbcool
07-25-2006, 21:59
Congratulations!

--Aric

Roycroft201
07-25-2006, 22:17
Congratulations, jatx, and good luck !

x SF med
07-25-2006, 22:21
Good luck boyo!

The Reaper
07-25-2006, 22:24
Well done, for the first step of a long journey.

TR

Surgicalcric
07-26-2006, 03:11
Long journey indeed.

Best of luck to you Jatx.

Crip

Martin
07-26-2006, 04:20
Best of luck, jatx!

Martin

Armenian
08-18-2006, 11:26
No engineer officer slots of any kind in the 20th SF, in Alabama?

CoLawman
08-18-2006, 13:01
Don't know how I missed this before. Good Luck Jatx!

NSDQ
08-18-2006, 16:45
Well done, congratulations & Godspeed jatx. "Remember the Alamo" :cool:

NSDQ

Books
08-18-2006, 17:13
Have fun! Do well!

Books

Ambush Master
08-18-2006, 17:39
Don't know how I missed this before.

Ditto here!! Good Luck !!!

steeve20
08-18-2006, 21:15
GRP HQ's in Bham has an engineer officer slot. Its an O4 slot

Armenian
08-19-2006, 07:17
Well... I'm an O2, so I guess I'm a no go.