PDA

View Full Version : American Embassy Kuwait Fast rope 1991

Team Sergeant
12-02-2013, 12:23
Hey if you fast roped into American Embassy Kuwait 1991 let me know. We have a support guy, E-4 telecommunications operator stating he also fast roped into the embassy.....

I was there also but we drove in......;)

glebo
12-02-2013, 14:02
PM me some specifics, I work with a bunch of 3/5 (1/3) guys that are pretty familiar with that event..

scooter
12-02-2013, 16:08
Were you one of the guys who looked around and left, or one of the LATER guys who came in and blew all the doors off to make sure it was Really clear?

PRB
12-02-2013, 18:17
Not 'Our' finest moment......

Dusty
12-02-2013, 19:30
lol Even if I had, I'd still be like, "Kuwhat? Kuwhere?". :D

The Reaper
12-02-2013, 19:43
....or one of the LATER guys who came in and blew all the doors off to make sure it was Really clear?

I believe that was then LTC Toney and 1-3.

TR

SF_BHT
12-02-2013, 19:46
I believe that was then LTC Toney and 1-3.

TR

It was...... DS was pissed when they found out how much damage they did. Guess it did not hurt him as he made Col then BG. Toneys tigers.....

Team Sergeant
12-02-2013, 23:11
It was...... DS was pissed when they found out how much damage they did. Guess it did not hurt him as he made Col then BG. Toneys tigers.....

You may not know the real story...... I worked for Dept of State for a few weeks afterward as I was selected to be the personal bodyguard of the American Ambassador to Kuwait.

Tony's tigers ripped an empty embassy to shreds, I have the pictures. How Tony made rank above 2LT is beyond my understanding.

SF_BHT
12-03-2013, 03:40
You may not know the real story...... I worked for Dept of State for a few weeks afterward as I was selected to be the personal bodyguard of the American Ambassador to Kuwait.

Tony's tigers ripped an empty embassy to shreds, I have the pictures. How Tony made rank above 2LT is beyond my understanding.

Oh I do.... Half my team was on that flight and fast rope mission. I was on another OP. I saw the embassy a few days later when we linked up again.

You will not get any argument about him from me. I got Toneized...... Never knew how he survived all of the years and kept floating up the chain.

mark46th
12-03-2013, 08:52
"Never knew how he survived all of the years and kept floating up the chain..."SF_BHT

Sounds like the Peter Principle at its finest...

Team Sergeant
12-03-2013, 11:40
Do you remember this guy? (The civilian....) :munchin

Kasik
04-30-2014, 18:14
The true story of the SOCCENT "assault" on the U.S. embassy in Kuwait is the opening chapter of the book "At the Hurricane's Eye - US Special Operations Forces from Vietnam to Desert Storm", Ivy Books 1994.

Per LT COL D. Brownlee, Operations 5th SFG(A), whom I interviewed for the book "We'd already been in the embassy for two days and we literally had to evacuate it so they [Special Operations Command Central] could assault it."

The cover photo of the book is of SF operators from the 5th in front of the main embassy door. It was taken after the 5th occupied it...peacefully.

In truth, a squad of Marine from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, conducting their own "forward reconnaissance" from the 6th Ring Road, ended up at the deserted embassy.

They reported finding no Iraqis, no mines, no booby traps. Their lieutenant ran a small American flag up the flagpole before the Marines departed. This was the same flag discovered by 5th Group operators on the afternoon of the 26th when they reconned / occupied the same compound.

This flag was reported on the 26th by Brownlee's MI detachment prior to SF occupying the embassy.

The Marines got their butts chewed for not staying away / out of the embassy.

The 5th got ordered to get out so Jesse Johnson could "liberate" the embassy. This occurred around midnight on the 27th.

At 1200 on the 28th Colonel Johnson and operators from the 3rd Group fast-roped in at "retook" and "re-secured" the embassy.

It was reported Johnson and several others received Bronze Stars for this, the dumbest action of the war.

As written - Page 13 -

"Elsewhere in the city, British and French troops were quietly reclaiming their embassy grounds without fanfare. Down the street, "Johnson's Raiders" were blowing theirs up, much to the delight of the assembled crowd on the street.

"We went back on the 29th for a meeting, Lieutenant Colonel Brownlee recalls. "The embassy was a mess, walls shot up, doors kicked in. All the damage was done when they [Johnson and Company] stormed it."

"Hurricane" was an authorized literary history per the U.S. Special Operations Command.

Team Sergeant
05-01-2014, 10:58
The true story of the SOCCENT "assault" on the U.S. embassy in Kuwait is the opening chapter of the book "At the Hurricane's Eye - US Special Operations Forces from Vietnam to Desert Storm", Ivy Books 1994.

Per LT COL D. Brownlee, Operations 5th SFG(A), whom I interviewed for the book "We'd already been in the embassy for two days and we literally had to evacuate it so they [Special Operations Command Central] could assault it."

The cover photo of the book is of SF operators from the 5th in front of the main embassy door. It was taken after the 5th occupied it...peacefully.

In truth, a squad of Marine from the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, conducting their own "forward reconnaissance" from the 6th Ring Road, ended up at the deserted embassy.

They reported finding no Iraqis, no mines, no booby traps. Their lieutenant ran a small American flag up the flagpole before the Marines departed. This was the same flag discovered by 5th Group operators on the afternoon of the 26th when they reconned / occupied the same compound.

This flag was reported on the 26th by Brownlee's MI detachment prior to SF occupying the embassy.

The Marines got their butts chewed for not staying away / out of the embassy.

The 5th got ordered to get out so Jesse Johnson could "liberate" the embassy. This occurred around midnight on the 27th.

At 1200 on the 28th Colonel Johnson and operators from the 3rd Group fast-roped in at "retook" and "re-secured" the embassy.

It was reported Johnson and several others received Bronze Stars for this, the dumbest action of the war.

As written - Page 13 -

"Elsewhere in the city, British and French troops were quietly reclaiming their embassy grounds without fanfare. Down the street, "Johnson's Raiders" were blowing theirs up, much to the delight of the assembled crowd on the street.

"We went back on the 29th for a meeting, Lieutenant Colonel Brownlee recalls. "The embassy was a mess, walls shot up, doors kicked in. All the damage was done when they [Johnson and Company] stormed it."

"Hurricane" was an authorized literary history per the U.S. Special Operations Command.

SOCCENT HQ didn't assault the embassy Tony's Tigers did.

The true story came out long before the 1994 book. If you're going to post here as "true fact" you need to talk to the guys that were there. I was with SOCCENT HQ and SOCCENT didn't assault the embassy, we arrived by vehicle hours later. When COL Jesse Johnson did arrive he was not happy with the damage done to the embassy.

The Reaper
05-01-2014, 11:33
SOCCENT HQ didn't assault the embassy Tony's Tigers did.

The true story came out long before the 1994 book. If you're going to post here as "true fact" you need to talk to the guys that were there. I was with SOCCENT HQ and SOCCENT didn't assault the embassy, we arrived by vehicle hours later. When COL Jesse Johnson did arrive he was not happy with the damage done to the embassy.

That is the same version my friends who were there told me.

And Blank Frank was behind it.

TR

Surgicalcric
05-01-2014, 20:12
Never knew how he survived all of the years and kept floating up the chain.

Same way piss poor officers move up today - shit floats.

Richard
05-02-2014, 05:55
Do you remember this guy? (The civilian....) :munchin

The guy in the mustache looks vaguely familiar. :D The civilian looks like Skip Gnehm.

Richard