PDA

View Full Version : Got a visit from the Sheriff's Dept. this morning

PSM
11-28-2013, 21:11
Two deputies in separate SUVs pulled up this morning just before lunch time. One of our neighbors across the highway (they said) reported someone shooting an auto high cal. weapon, possibly a .50, on our side of the highway. Well, last week I heard some "rapid fire" to the east of our place which sounded like it was coming from the east end of the wash. Defiantly not a .50, though. My wife heard what they were asking about today.

I'm not totally sure that they believed that it wasn't us but they said that it wasn't a problem. They just wanted to make sure whoever was doing it was shooting safely! Gotta love Arizona. ;)

I'd like to know who would call the Sheriff Dept. for shooting here, though.

Pat

mojaveman
11-28-2013, 21:24
Out in the desert here the BATFE has electronic listening devices placed in strategic locations just to check for automatic weapons fire and explosions.

Can't have fun anymore. :D

JJ_BPK
11-29-2013, 06:12
I'd like to know who would call the Sheriff Dept. for shooting here, though.

Pat,
Probably some cartel mules humping dope.
They don't like the incoming??

PSM
11-29-2013, 19:34
Pat,
Probably some cartel mules humping dope.
They don't like the incoming??

Naw, they cross through the fort; it's a gun-free zone. Our AO ain't. ;)

The shooters were out again today. I still only hear rapid fire and not auto fire. The large cal sounds like a .45 handgun. No big deal. They are down in a deep wash and not a problem. I'm pretty sure I know who they are and who called the Sheriff. The two families have had issues in the past. :D

Pat

adal
11-29-2013, 20:03
I had some javalina running through our neighborhood not long back. I went to our five neighbors and mentioned they may hear a shot but that it would be followed by a pig roast. No calls. :) I love AZ too.

Team Sergeant
11-29-2013, 20:34
I had some javalina running through our neighborhood not long back. I went to our five neighbors and mentioned they may hear a shot but that it would be followed by a pig roast. No calls. :) I love AZ too.

I don't worry about having to tell the neighbors anything.....;)

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/sound-suppressors/legacy-sound-suppressors/556-mm-223-caliber/fa556sa.html

Golf1echo
11-29-2013, 21:18
PSM sounds familiar. The years I lived out in Avra Valley we experienced many from the city who drove out to where they thought civilization ended to shoot, hearing gun fire close in the Mesquite / Palo Verde scrub was concerning, we usually had some fun getting them to vacate pronto :D however some of those incoming rounds got very close at times, teaches one to stay low.It has been awhile and am forgetting is it the Mesquite or the Palo Verde that gets leaves in the winter? It made parts of the Sanora like a maze and of course throw in some JUMPING CHOAS. I do miss AZ it is a gorgeous place with many different terrains and environments, must be something to fly over...

Wondering if LIL Abners on Silver Bell is still there?

Stobey
11-30-2013, 01:14
I don't worry about having to tell the neighbors anything.....;)

Very nice, Team Sergeant. But how do they work? (I watched the video and saw the demonstrations.) My question, "How do they work?" refers to how the device actually functions. I always understood that in order to "suppress" the sound, one had to get the bullet speed down below the speed of sound. Is that still true or am I missing something? Also, does the device contain "baffles"? Question re: cleaning. If used for, say 100 rounds, does the device need to be cleaned in any special way? [OK. I see that it does have "baffles"; but from the video pic, it appears that the baffles are actually part of the suppressor itself, i.e. they are not separate, so it doesn't look as if cleaning is any big issue.] That still leaves the first (and only) question - that of speed, or muzzle velocity being cut down substantially. I'm still curious about that because that could change how "flat" a trajectory the bullet has, and would definitely matter at distance.

Of course it doesn't make much difference to me, as I am in currently in NJ; and if I remember correctly, these sorts of devices have been illegal here for some time. I was just curious...

HOLLiS
11-30-2013, 13:39
Sort of a side comment, Full autos are not illegal to own or use in the US, just more paper work and money.

I also think the surefire solution is a great way to go.

MR2
11-30-2013, 14:15
Multiple cross-thread points

Will be recovering from foot surgery so will not be in attendance.

Team Sergeant
12-01-2013, 09:07
Very nice, Team Sergeant. But how do they work?

They work very well and make a 5.56 sound like a pellet rifle. They are quiet enough that you do not need ear muffs while using one.

Chaplain Scott
12-05-2013, 20:14
Well, I want one now!! Of course it means that I'll need to get a much shorter barrel....which means more $$, both for the equipment and the tax stamps.

Fighting lung cancer right now--when I come out the other end of this battle, I just may have to give myself a present :D

TOMAHAWK9521
12-05-2013, 23:15
Multiple cross-thread points

Will be recovering from foot surgery so will not be in attendance.

I might have to check that out if I have time in between finishing final projects for school

Dusty
12-06-2013, 07:03
Well, I want one now!! Of course it means that I'll need to get a much shorter barrel....which means more $$, both for the equipment and the tax stamps.

Fighting lung cancer right now--when I come out the other end of this battle, I just may have to give myself a present :D

Prayers out

Trapper John
12-06-2013, 07:30

My thoughts and prayers are with you too. Keep up that positive outlook. :lifter

Javadrinker
12-06-2013, 08:21

Remembering you in my prayers.

Stobey
12-06-2013, 20:38

My prayers and best wishes for your recovery.

JHD
12-08-2013, 04:39

Prayers out to you, sir. All the best.