PDA

View Full Version : California Valley Quail

mark46th
11-28-2013, 20:50
Went quail hunting Tuesday with my son and an old friend on the Twisselman Ranch, West of Bakersfield, Calif. We each got a 10 bird limit of Valley Quail. Great hunt!! Pictures are posted in the Gourmet Guerrilla, What I Made Today thread.

mojaveman
11-28-2013, 21:20
Well Bakersfield isn't toooo far but are there any good spots a little closer? Is Twisselman Ranch one of those pay to hunt deals?

craigepo
11-28-2013, 21:45
Any good dog work?

Now that deer season is done here, I'm taking my dogs this weekend for a little train up stroll. Try to get them in shape before our South Dakota trip.

Quail hunting is the best

mark46th
11-28-2013, 23:04
Yes, Twisselman Ranch is a pay to hunt ranch. The Twisselman Ranch is 88,000 acres. It lies on the San Andreas fault between Highway 58 and Highway 46. We were guided by Nolan Twisselman, the Great grandson of the founder. He also has pig, deer and tule elk on the property.

Craigpo- We didn't use dogs, it was more of a find 'em- run 'em down kind of hunt in oak scrub hills and canyons. I took a pig there in early April of this year with Nolan as the guide. They are in a drought right now, not much grass growing for his cattle. Hopefully, we will have a wet winter.