PDA

View Full Version : Brits are asked to name U.S. states

Sdiver
11-26-2013, 19:18
Some of their responses are actually quite funny. :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

cbtengr
11-26-2013, 19:39
If they were to give the same test to the average inner city schooled American I am sure the results would be quite similar :D .

Sdiver
11-26-2013, 19:40
If they were to give the same test to the average inner city schooled American I am sure the results would be quite similar :D .

That's not funny .... The Brits answers are. ;)

cbtengr
11-26-2013, 19:44
That's not funny .... The Brits answers are. ;)

No it's not funny, it's pretty sad. In the same vein were I to be handed a map of Europe I would not fare any better.

PSM
11-26-2013, 19:47
Except for the Isle of Wight, I couldn't name a single county in England. They seem to be pretty good at finding U.S. states that western movies were set in.

Pat

Sdiver
11-29-2013, 00:30
In the same vein were I to be handed a map of Europe I would not fare any better.

Looks like these people are in the same boat.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/americans-try-to-place-european-countries-on-a-map

:D

rdret1
11-29-2013, 05:53
That reminds me of my time as an SFAS assessor. Those of you that went through that course may remember one of the "keep 'em awake" exercises of having to draw various maps. While on duty one night, I asked the candidates to draw a map of the world, naming as many countries as they could. One candidate drew a straight line down the middle of the paper with a few horizontal lines coming off of it. He labeled them "North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida". I asked him if that was the extent of his "world". He said it was. I don't think he was kidding.

MR2
11-29-2013, 06:00
That reminds me of my time as an SFAS assessor. Those of you that went through that course may remember one of the "keep 'em awake" exercises of having to draw various maps. While on duty one night, I asked the candidates to draw a map of the world, naming as many countries as they could. One candidate drew a straight line down the middle of the paper with a few horizontal lines coming off of it. He labeled them "North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida". I asked him if that was the extent of his "world". He said it was. I don't think he was kidding.

Let me guess... he became a Commo guy? :p

rdret1
11-29-2013, 06:04
Let me guess... he became a Commo guy? :p

ROFL! I really don't remember if he even made it through.

Team Sergeant
11-29-2013, 08:57

I think I know that guy, Leroy L. ;) 18C if I recall.

mojaveman
11-29-2013, 11:51
The Brits don't do well with naming other European countries either. I was in a British pub in Luxembourg one evening and played a game of geography with some of them using an unmarked map of Europe. They did ok with the larger well known countries on the continent but when it came to the smaller less known ones like Lichtenstein and Andorra or some of the countries in Eastern Europe they failed. European history is my favorite subject and I reigned that evening, got a few free beers too.

Sdiver
11-29-2013, 11:58
The Brits don't do well with naming other European countries either. I was in a British pub in Luxembourg one evening and played a game of geography with some of them and an unmarked map of Europe. They did ok with the larger well known countries on the continent but when it came to the smaller less known ones like Lichtenstein and Andorra or some of the countries in Eastern Europe they failed. I read European history as a favorite subject and reigned that evening, got a few free beers too.

The thing is, those little and eastern European countries keep changing.

Here in the States, they stay the same. It's been what, something like 63 years since we added a new State? :D

MR2
11-29-2013, 12:56
Here in the States, they stay the same. It's been what, something like 63 years since we added a new State? :D

Working on that... ;)