PDA

View Full Version : DoD Considers Closing CONUS Commissaries

UWOA (RIP)
11-25-2013, 22:02
DoD Considers Closing CONUS Commissaries

Week of November 25, 2013

According to several news sources, the Defense Commissary Agency has been asked by the Defense Department to submit a plan for closing stateside commissaries. Columnist and Military.com contributor Tom Philpott reports that the request was made by the DoD's Under Secretary of Defense Robert Hale, the department's top financial adviser, and Air Force Lt. Gen. Mark F. Ramsay, director of force structure, resources and assessment for the Joint Staff.

The Reaper
11-25-2013, 22:05
They'll wind up giving it to to AAFES, and they will really screw it up.

Like the PX, the Gas Stations, and the Clothing Sales.

The Comm is the last good deal on post.

TR

ddoering
11-26-2013, 17:05
Walmart will be happy.;)

MtnGoat
11-26-2013, 17:11
They'll wind up giving it to to AAFES, and they will really screw it up.

Like the PX, the Gas Stations, and the Clothing Sales.

The Comm is the last good deal on post.

TR

TR you are more and likely right over the Commissary and chane them to apropate funds programmed place. Yes it will suck.

Walmart will be happy.;)

Yes they WILL. Here on Bragg both Commissaries pull in 8 to 10 MILLION a WEEK!!! DoD asked Wally World, along with others about taking over Commissaries, they No Thanks not enough profit for what the DoD wanted.

BMT (RIP)
11-27-2013, 08:28
Base commissaries, golf courses, bowling alleys, recreation centers, auto hobby shops.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/11/26/pentagon-considers-more-cuts-to-troop-benefits.html?ESRC=eb.nl

BMT

The Reaper
11-27-2013, 18:39
Nothing's too good for the troops, and that's what we'll give them.

TR

Pete
11-28-2013, 07:00
The Commissary is a funny place.

Was going up to Spring Lake around noon anyway so I thought I would snag a couple of MRE's for camping. Pulled into the parking lot and it was packed. Thought this might not be a good idea.

Grabbed my two MRE's and headed for checkout. The express line must have had 20 to 25 folks in it. Same over on the other side for Military in Uniform. Looked at the big cart line - only 4 carts in it. I headed for the big cart line and by the time I had zigged and sagged I was # 1. Just as I stopped the director pointed "There" and I grabbed a Diet Dew on the way, got scanned, paid and out the door.

Got Southwest Beef & Black Beans and Asian Style Beef Strips with Vegetables. Never had either before.

TrapperFrank
11-28-2013, 09:08
The commissary is for the most part a really great deal. The wife and I use the ones here all the time. I was in line the other day and talking to a navy E3 with a wife ant two kids. He has to count every penny and the commissary closing would definitely put a pinch on him.

pcfixer
11-28-2013, 10:18
The commissary is for the most part a really great deal. The wife and I use the ones here all the time. I was in line the other day and talking to a navy E3 with a wife ant two kids. He has to count every penny and the commissary closing would definitely put a pinch on him.

I'm sure there are plenty of young enlisted that ARE and on food stamps, without a commissary the food stamp program will grow. Exactly what Obama wants is dependency on the gov't.