PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Tanners

Sdiver
11-22-2013, 19:04
....or anyone else who works with leather(s).

Picked up a new Garand awhile back, and finally got around to striping it and giving it a good cleaning.

The lanyard is the original (the gun came out of SA in '42) and has some small cracks in it, but for the most part it looks to be in fairly good shape. It seems to have "sweated" some, in that it feels "tacky" and feels like it has a film over it.

The brass has also "sweated" some, had to clean some green "golps" off of where they sat on the leather.

Anyone have any good cleaning or restoring tips I could use to restore and help protect it.

Most appreciated.

SF_BHT
11-22-2013, 19:09
1st clean the brass
2nd. Get some saddle soap and work on the leather. You can get the muck off and then the SS will clean and then bring the leather back to a more supple and will get the fibers to resist more damage......

Just my 2cents.

Sdiver
11-27-2013, 00:28
D'uh ... Saddle soap. I don't know where my head was.

Thanks B for reminding me of the "simple" answer.

The Reaper
11-27-2013, 15:46
....or anyone else who works with leather(s).

Picked up a new Garand awhile back, and finally got around to striping it and giving it a good cleaning.

The lanyard is the original (the gun came out of SA in '42) and has some small cracks in it, but for the most part it looks to be in fairly good shape. It seems to have "sweated" some, in that it feels "tacky" and feels like it has a film over it.

The brass has also "sweated" some, had to clean some green "golps" off of where they sat on the leather.

Anyone have any good cleaning or restoring tips I could use to restore and help protect it.

Most appreciated.

Are you talking about the sling?

Never saw a Garand with a lanyard.

TR

Sdiver
11-27-2013, 16:55
Are you talking about the sling?

Never saw a Garand with a lanyard.

TR

D'oh !!!!!!!
Yes Sir, I was referring to the sling.

Double D'oh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I shouldn't have gotten out of bed last week. :rolleyes:

Monsoon65
11-27-2013, 18:19
If that doesn't work on the original sling, try atthefront.com if you are needing a repro one.