PDA

View Full Version : Son Tay Raid Anniversary

Stras
11-21-2013, 13:37
Today marks the 43rd anniversary of the Son Tay Raid. 21 Nov 70.

Many of us owe a great deal to the Raiders and their contributions to the force over the years.

Your actions struck fear in the North Vietnamese and forced them to take better care of the Prisoners of War.

My sincere thanks for a job well done.

I raise a Reutberg in honor of your service. Prost!

Dusty
11-21-2013, 13:45
Hear, hear.

SF_BHT
11-21-2013, 16:26
Many thanks for their hard work. They set the bar and we have been trying to get there for a long time.

I will raise a good burbon tonight for them.

They were the ones that we all wanted to be like......

MR2
11-21-2013, 18:31
They were the ones that we all wanted to be like......

Amen.

The Reaper
11-21-2013, 18:50
Thanks for trying, men.

I am blessed to have known a few of you.

TR

alelks
11-21-2013, 18:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yHVcGj8QJo

mojaveman
11-21-2013, 20:22
Hats off to all the Raiders. Met MAJ Meadows, SGM Lupyak, SGM Jakovenko and served under CSM Strahan.

Stobey
11-21-2013, 22:29
Here is another breakdown of the raid. Sorry, the video simulation sucks; but the narration of the events was good. Excellent job. Only bad part: no POWs at the camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwdyoXhg1Q4

Hammer11
11-21-2013, 22:47
Paul L. Poole lived less than a mile from me and we had a great time until he passed away in 96. After the funeral and memorial service, his wife, Nona, gave me the bronze bust Mark Byrd made of Col. Howard.

Flagg
11-22-2013, 03:22
Not long ago I got my hands on an autographed photo of Sergeant Major Galen Kittleson.

When it arrived my young sons asked who he was when they saw it.

I told my boys he was an Alamo Scout and a Son Tay Raider who had the best job in the world, rescuing his mates.

Team Sergeant
11-22-2013, 10:57
Not long ago I got my hands on an autographed photo of Sergeant Major Galen Kittleson.

When it arrived my young sons asked who he was when they saw it.

I told my boys he was an Alamo Scout and a Son Tay Raider who had the best job in the world, rescuing his mates.

SF "rescues" civilians, we "recover" our soldiers......:munchin

Flagg
11-22-2013, 15:09
SF "rescues" civilians, we "recover" our soldiers......:munchin

Roger..

Gypsy
11-22-2013, 18:20
Thank you Gentlemen, we shall not forget you.

Respect.

Blueboy
11-23-2013, 07:01
Major Meadows gave an OPD/NCOPD on the raid to the 1/504 PIR green-tabbers in 1993 (his son Mark was my company commander at the time). Absolutely phenomenal. Major Meadows used the terrain model from the SWCS museum (he arranged to have it brought over to the A Co 1/504 day room for the event). He spoke for 90 minutes without notes, and briefed the mission down to smallest detail----which assault elements would search which cells, support elements and their sectors of fire, etc.

I remember the event distinctly because it was the day I decided to go SF.

miclo18d
12-22-2013, 14:24
Major Meadows gave an OPD/NCOPD on the raid to the 1/504 PIR green-tabbers in 1993 (his son Mark was my company commander at the time). Absolutely phenomenal. Major Meadows used the terrain model from the SWCS museum (he arranged to have it brought over to the A Co 1/504 day room for the event). He spoke for 90 minutes without notes, and briefed the mission down to smallest detail----which assault elements would search which cells, support elements and their sectors of fire, etc.

I remember the event distinctly because it was the day I decided to go SF.

I met Mark sometime after this (95-96?). He was the LRSD OC Commander at JRTC. He brought in his dad's slide projector and gave us the briefing his dad used to give. He was at the time prepping to do the long walk.

Also got to meet and eat dinner with SGM Tyrone J. Adderly, member of the Red Wine element, at the SFA in 2006. That was a really awesome dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lifter:lifter:lifter