PDA

View Full Version : For all 18xers

kkillert0fu
11-15-2013, 07:07
And anybody attempting a non-prior service special operations contract. The military is bigger than you, you are not now nor ever will be THE GUY.

Go to youtube or liveleak, and spend some time watching actual videos of firefights and intense combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. Ask yourself if this is truly something you can do. Look at the mens faces, put yourself there. There's one video of this soldier talking to the cameraman following him as a live combat scenario is taking place, it really puts you in the mind of what it means and what it takes to be in a combat zone. You are no better than they are, and it is an insult to these guys to feel as if you can somehow surpass what they have done and go directly into special operations. Appreciate the regular Army (and Marines). Do it first, and if you come out alright, then go further if you still want to.

Pete
11-15-2013, 07:24
Killer

1st - Your post was a statement not a question.

2nd - Your profile seems to say you haven't served in the military and done what you're talking about.

3rd - There are a whole bunch of SF Enlistment Option (pre 18 series) and former 18Xs who now hold an 18 series MOS on this board. I'm one of them and you might hear from some others shortly.

kkillert0fu
11-15-2013, 07:56
It was a thought I had which I assumed to be relevant to non prior service candidates, I thought I was offering support. Your're right, I have not served in the military. I'm trying to get as much of an understanding for myself as possible before I make the leap myself. I apologize if my original post offends anyone. And I apologize for the wrong forum. I should have thought about it and placed it in the discussion area.

Pete
11-15-2013, 08:02
It was a thought I had which I assumed to be relevant to non prior service candidates, I thought I was offering support. Your're right, I have not served in the military. I'm trying to get as much of an understanding for myself as possible before I make the leap myself. I apologize if my original post offends anyone.

Why would you think your post offends us?

You offer advice in an SF Board section for SF Questions on a subject with which you have no experience with. It does not offend us. Maybe bemused would be a better word.

I think the best advice for you would be to read more and post less.

blue02hd
11-15-2013, 08:37
I vote that this thread is moved to either the "Comedy Zone" or straight to "Rucksack in the Hallway". Additionally, I vote that we change "kkillertoFU" to "Fluffy". The only thing he is 'killing" in here is the valuable time I will never be able to get back after reading this thread.

Fluffy, guests like you make me want to throat punch a rescued kitten.

I award you no points, and may the ADMINS have mercy on your soul.

Snaquebite
11-15-2013, 08:47
I read the screen name as "k... killer tofu" (with stutter) which could be interpreted in numerous "manly man" ways. :D

kkillert0fu
11-15-2013, 10:43
Nevermind, guys

I've been on this site for 5 years and average 2 posts a year now. I'm not fluffy, you have no idea what my screen name references, and I wasn't asking for points. Sorry again for the wrong placement.

Non prior service, I recommend doing this, you'll gain incredible insights.

Thank you everyone for your service.

Pete
11-15-2013, 11:16
.....Non prior service, I recommend doing this, you'll gain incredible insights........

What are you recommending and what experience is your recommendation based on?

Are you saying that folks should not take an 18X contract but instead should do a regular tour first?

What first hand experience do you have with dealing with 18Xs who have just completed the Q Course?

Don't you think a Team Sergeant or Team Leader who has dealt with both would have a better opinion on the subject?

kkillert0fu
11-15-2013, 13:19
I've seen a lot of non prior service candidates come on these military web forums and claim that its either special operations or nothing, including myself. After years of research, I have learned a great deal and to appreciate that any position I earn in the Army is worthwhile. I have no first hand experience with 18xers or anybody who has finished the Q course. My original post was intended strictly as a recomendation for non prior service special operations hopefuls who may have this mentality. That military life is not some amped up National Geographic documentary. My title should have been more specific in this regard. I thought maybe a team guy or two could weigh in as well, and potentially either confirm or refute my assertions.

11-15-2013, 15:54
Nevermind, guys

Non prior service, I recommend doing this, you'll gain incredible insights. .

I'm currently in the Q. At times i'm envious of my non X-RAY peers experience. That being said.

A buddy of mine at basic had around the same GT as me and was physically fit as well. He went to a regular unit. I went my route. He runs in formation with Fat people and rakes leaves. I improve my body and mind continually. I'm also surrounded by winners.
why wouldn't you want that opportunity?

Pete
11-15-2013, 16:20
.... I thought maybe a team guy or two could weigh in as well, ..........

In your opinion just what is a Team guy?

Between Blue, Snake and myself we probably have over 30 years on A Teams.

The SF enlistment option has been around on and off since the 1960's. In later years it became the 18X program as a way to keep track of SF enlistee's through the pipe line.

All of us have worked with SF enlistment option folks and 18Xs over the years.

SF_BHT
11-15-2013, 16:55
Wow just wasted some time reading this that's will not get back.

I am still confused as to what is the point of this thread.

Oh add 18 more years to the total time....:eek:

x SF med
11-15-2013, 17:35
Let's see....
Fluffy, the never served civilian is telling experienced SF QPs that they need to listen to Team Guys, but take his advice about what it's really like on a Team, because he watched some YouTube videos...

Dear Fluffy,
You don't know your ass from your elbow, don't enlist to be a medic, anatomy and physiology is a required subject. Maybe with all of your knowledge from the internets you can just join the military as a SGM or COL... hell I bet you could be a GEN because you know so much. Since you watched all of those videos, maybe we should just give you a CIB and enroll you in the VA so you can get your PTSD and Combat sustained (strained fingers from the keyboard) injuries treated, oh, you need a PH too.

Screw you and your attitude, punk.

Hate you much,

x SF med
(who enlisted on an SF contract)

PS, you can hate me all you want and search for me on the internets... have a very nonmilitary day.

head
11-15-2013, 18:48
Hey now, I'm an 18X! Why don't we let Selection and the Q-course and a whole slew of Special Forces soldiers decide who should wear Green Berets instead of self-selecting..... If I failed, I would've been Airborne Infantry, so it was win-win... but I guess I must have had what it took.

Now, the funny thing is, 9 years later... everyone calls me "prior service" :confused:

The Reaper
11-15-2013, 19:11
I see no value in continuing this thread.

Contact me if you want it reopened.

Lessons learned:

kkillert0fu, be situationally aware and careful before starting new threads. A quick look around this forum would have shown you that threads here start with questions about SF, and answers are restricted to QPs.

FYSA, arguing with the QPs or trying to justify your actions is essentially continuing to dig after realizing you are at the bottom of a hole.

Your comments were taken as insulting by people who came to SF as initial entry soldiers. Since they are what you aspire to be, I would not be critical of them or their experience. Your Team Sergeant, and possibly your 180A are more likely than not going to have entered SF as 18Xs. Sticking your foot into your mouth will only complicate things for you and make life hard.

Finally, I would offer that your opinion about SF, team life, combat, or prior service, is valueless, since you have no experience at any of those things. As soon as you put up a post, people are going to check your credentials to see if you are qualified to make those statements. You have just seen what happens if you fail that check.

You had been doing a passable job of being the gray man. I would recommend that you fall back into that role, or stick with topics you have experience with. With luck (and a metric ton of hard work), your day will come.

All the best.

TR