PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint cheekweld and head position

Gold Eagle
11-12-2013, 17:59
I'm having issues with using a Aim point and me not maintaining the same cheek weld and head position.
The dot seems to end up right, left, or where ever. Am using a VLTOR- EMOD.
Not sure if I want to say "parallax".
Any advice very appreciated.

Peregrino
11-12-2013, 20:37
There are no parallax issues with Aimpoints. And it doesn't really matter where the dot is. That's why it's easy to teach recruits how to shoot with them. Put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger. Nothing else to concern yourself with. Eliminates a lot of traditional marksmanship issues and significantly improves the lethality of inexperienced shooters.

If you want a consistent cheekweld (nice to have, in spite of the aforementioned) check the mounting height and location of the Aimpoint. Moving it fore or aft and/or using a different mount to change height above the rail will help you improve your head position/sight picture. You can also change length of pull to adjust head position. Or you can change stocks (cheaper than a new quality mount!). The extra "swell" for the storage compartments is distracting for some people.

Free advice - and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Team Sergeant
11-13-2013, 09:46
Aimpoint is not the most accurate optic out there, if you really desire accuracy spend the money.

Gold Eagle
11-23-2013, 05:42
Thank you gentlemen! TS anything you recommend?

Team Sergeant
11-23-2013, 15:58
Optics are just like any other tool, what do you want to achieve with it? 0-300 meters, 0-500meter? What is your goal?

Gold Eagle
11-28-2013, 13:07
Sir, I think 0-300 should suffice. Thanks!

DJ Urbanovsky
11-29-2013, 12:52
A suggestion on maintaining consistency with cheek weld and head position: Have you tried touching the tip of your nose to the charging handle?

Gold Eagle
12-02-2013, 16:30
A suggestion on maintaining consistency with cheek weld and head position: Have you tried touching the tip of your nose to the charging handle?

No but I can try that. Thanks!

DJ Urbanovsky
12-03-2013, 14:40
My pleasure, buddy. Hope you find that useful.

My personal, non-professional thoughts:

One of the keys of marksmanship is repeatability - doing the same thing the same way every time. Consistency is king. You want to take as many variables out of the equation as possible. You've typically got four or five points of contact on the rifle, and each one of those is exerting force that wants to push the rifle in one direction or another. Then you've got the rest of your body mechanics, your breathing, whether or not you're moving, your shooting position... That's a lot of variables.

Nose to charging handle is just a very easy way to ensure that you're positioning your head and addressing your sights the same way every time, and it takes two of those variables (tip of nose, cheek weld) out of the equation so you can focus on your hands/arms and shoulder, and then the rest of those physical variables. I've seen some very trained and effective shooters who don't use it, and I've seen some who do. Personally, I use it whenever possible and it works for me. As an average sized guy, I can make it work with the stock fully extended and with a plate carrier. Give it a whirl and see if it nets you good results.

No but I can try that. Thanks!