PDA

View Full Version : Combat Photographers

mtnbaby
11-10-2013, 17:14
Greetings all, and Happy Veterans Day.

While my ultimate goal is and has been SF for many years, I realize that the route we take is rarely the route we planned in life. I still hope to be among you in the coming years.

To my question: I have a small photography business and a lot of technical training to back it up. I love it. Maybe because of this, my recruiter (who is an old friend) keeps throwing around pursuing Combat Photographer as my MOS while I work towards an SF career. Does anybody here on the forums have experience working with combat photographers? Has anyone started as a combat photographer and gotten a chance to go to SFAS? From my research I understand that combat photographer slots are limited and the job is generally assigned, not requested. Would a Combat Photog-to-SF career path be realistic, if even possible?

Thank you for your input and for your service.

Team Sergeant
11-10-2013, 17:19
Greetings all, and Happy Veterans Day.

Would a Combat Photog-to-SF career path be realistic, if even possible?

Thank you for your input and for your service.

Anything is possible but you're talking about those who change the course of history and those who record it. One meets the enemy on his own turf and others take pictures of the aftermath.

You'd better do some soul searching, not everyone is cut out to do what Special Forces does.

The Reaper
11-10-2013, 17:21
It sounds to me like you lack the committment to be SF.

Nothing wrong with that, or being a combat photographer, just understand that even if you got your medical waiver, you would likely not succeed without 100% dedication to the cause.

Best of luck.

TR

mtnbaby
11-10-2013, 19:07
TR, my thoughts on committment are best described by another:

Phillippe Petit, the man who walked a high wire between the world trade centers, once said of walking the wire that he couldn't make the first step without being utterly sure that he was committed and willing to make the last step, no matter what happened between the two. Not a bad way to go about living life, I think. Seeing everything through.

I know where I'm starting and I know where I want to get. Right now I'm trying to shed some light on the path by observing the route others have taken.

I'll have to choose an MOS. 11B, 68W, something to get started with. Combat Photography is an option I am exploring, something that I can be good at and enjoy until the opportunity arises to drop an SF packet. I was wondering if it had been done before or if I should do as Team Sergeant suggested: some additional soul searching and possibly choose an MOS better suited to SF's needs.

MtnGoat
11-10-2013, 20:25
I say if you're looking at going SF and not wanting to do the 18X option. Then pic a MOS that help you in obtaining your goal to be a Green Beret. Having your small photography business can add to skills you bring to your ODA team. You have that skill set, look at what OTHER skills will help down your road or bring additional skills to your team.

Good luck

mtnbaby
11-10-2013, 21:16
Thanks all. MtnGoat, you make a good point about about filling in the gaps in my skill set.

For the record, I realize none of you have any reason to believe I am willing or capable of being SF, and you won't have any reason to until I have walked the walk and tab :) I'm OK with that, in fact I appreciate it.

miclo18d
11-11-2013, 07:07
I also want to throw out there that every SF Group has a multi media team of like three or four people. They took pictures at ceremonies, our "Death" photos, and printed out all A/V products for anyone in group. I wouldn't say any of them were going to be heading to selection anytime soon as there must be a "type" (and one was female, so obviously she wasn't going to SFAS) that goes into that field, but they were good at what they did and always helped the team guys with what ever they needed.

That said, all the other comments are correct. If you want to be SF, be SF. If you want to be a "combat" photographer (don't think you are going to be taking pics of real time combat, but the aftermath as others have stated), then be a combat photographer.

Mtngoat, great comment! Adding a skill that most guys on a team don't have besides running a GoPro or their dig cams. (Besides the old 18F classes that probably don't include developing film anymore)

Guymullins
11-11-2013, 14:31
I was assigned as the Combat Photographer (in addition to my rifleman duties) for the airborne raid on a fortified enemy base in Angola in 1978. You can read about it and see the photographs by getting the book, Battle for Cassinga on Amazon.

Team Sergeant
11-11-2013, 15:51
I was assigned as the Combat Photographer (in addition to my rifleman duties) for the airborne raid on a fortified enemy base in Angola in 1978. You can read about it and see the photographs by getting the book, Battle for Cassinga on Amazon.

I can see your commanding officer now:

Commander:
"Can any of those knuckle draggers take a photo? I want to record this battle."

Sr. NCO:
"I'm sure I can find one that can Sir!"

"MULLINS FRONT AND CENTER!"

Guymullins
11-11-2013, 16:10
I can see your commanding officer now:

Commander:
"Can any of those knuckle draggers take a photo? I want to record this battle."

Sr. NCO:
"I'm sure I can find one that can Sir!"

"MULLINS FRONT AND CENTER!"

Team, you have no idea how accurate that is. It seems that armies everywhere operate the same way.

mtnbaby
11-13-2013, 11:15
Team, you have no idea how accurate that is. It seems that armies everywhere operate the same way.

Too funny.

Update: A guy I train with in 10th group did me a favor and asked around on base to see what the issue might be with my medical waivers and getting an 18X contract, as my recruiter has insisted that there is nothing he can do.

Well, I've been informed I should find a new recruiter. I'm reading through the regs myself right now and getting in touch with a recruiter more familiar with the 18X process...

Guymullins, I'll definitely check out the book.

Guymullins
11-13-2013, 14:23
Too funny.

Update: A guy I train with in 10th group did me a favor and asked around on base to see what the issue might be with my medical waivers and getting an 18X contract, as my recruiter has insisted that there is nothing he can do.

Well, I've been informed I should find a new recruiter. I'm reading through the regs myself right now and getting in touch with a recruiter more familiar with the 18X process...

Guymullins, I'll definitely check out the book.

Enjoy. Don't be confused by the authors name. Guy Mullins is an internet name only.