PDA

View Full Version : Water Purification

Team Sergeant
11-01-2013, 10:23
Water Purification

Because I live in a desert and also because just about every outdoor water "source" here in Arizona is contaminated (a lot of it is mercury from all the mining days) I made a purchase of my idea of the ideal bugout water purification device.

And because I live in a desert my idea of bugout is a vehicle loaded with what I need for long term survival. IMO sheltering in place in the Valley of the Sun with 6-7 million individuals is NOT an option.

My Royal Berkey water filter just arrived. I got it with 4x black filters.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/royal-berkey.html

koz
11-01-2013, 10:46
I've had a Royal Berkey for about a year and I've consumed more water than ever before. I find the water tastes really good (or I guess lack of chemical taste).

Only warning - when you fill it up, make sure the bottom is nearly empty. Otherwise it will overflow where the top and bottom meet.

As far as bugging out, you may consider keeping some coffee filters handy so you can filter out the sediment prior to putting the water (assuming it's lake / pond water) in the berkey.

The Reaper
11-01-2013, 11:43
An excellent purchase, along with prefiltration and spare filters.

TR

Team Sergeant
11-01-2013, 11:46
An excellent purchase, along with prefiltration and spare filters.

TR

I forgot to add I also purchased the 4x white filters and spare parts kit!

spottedmedic111
11-01-2013, 12:27
Whoa. My math shows enough drinking water/person for 16-32 years on one set of filters, depending on amount consumed. Now add 487-974 cases of MREs to cover the same period of time (j/k of course).

The Reaper
11-01-2013, 12:38
I forgot to add I also purchased the 4x white filters and spare parts kit!

Be careful of the black filters, they have a history of coming unglued at the base.

You can put a few drops of food coloring in the water periodically to ensure that they are still functioning properly. If the water in the lower chamber is red or pink, there is a leak in the filter.

The white filters have not had that sort of problems.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
11-01-2013, 16:13
I just sent links to Catwoman for Christmas. :)

mugwump
11-01-2013, 19:52
Water Purification

Because I live in a desert and also because just about every outdoor water "source" here in Arizona is contaminated (a lot of it is mercury from all the mining days) I made a purchase of my idea of the ideal bugout water purification device.

And because I live in a desert my idea of bugout is a vehicle loaded with what I need for long term survival. IMO sheltering in place in the Valley of the Sun with 6-7 million individuals is NOT an option.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/royal-berkey.html

The Berkey is a classic, good choice. Per usual TR gives good advice. Give the black filters a full test. The white ceramic ones are bomb-proof but won't remove mercury like the black ones.

TS, I know this falls into the "teaching granny how to suck eggs" category, but if you're not in the first 5%-10% to leave, you'll be stuck. Ditto for LA, NY, Chicago. Even with full contra flow on all highways and maximal use of secondary roads, it's a no go for the last 90% if you live in a city with an 'F' on the evacuation score card. They call it a "profound concern."

Emergency Evacuation Scorecard (http://orise.orau.gov/csepp/documents/planning/evacuation-documents/federal-reports/evacuation_report_card2006.pdf)

Team Sergeant
11-01-2013, 20:57
The Berkey is a classic, good choice. Per usual TR gives good advice. Give the black filters a full test. The white ceramic ones are bomb-proof but won't remove mercury like the black ones.

TS, I know this falls into the "teaching granny how to suck eggs" category, but if you're not in the first 5%-10% to leave, you'll be stuck. Ditto for LA, NY, Chicago. Even with full contra flow on all highways and maximal use of secondary roads, it's a no go for the last 90% if you live in a city with an 'F' on the evacuation score card. They call it a "profound concern."
Emergency Evacuation Scorecard (http://orise.orau.gov/csepp/documents/planning/evacuation-documents/federal-reports/evacuation_report_card2006.pdf)

I can only think of one emergency that would cause the Valley to leave immediately that that is one of the 3 nuclear reactors close by to malfunction. If you have a 4x4 (which I do) there are hundreds of dirt roads to get out of the Valley on. Thousands of illegals use them every day around here....;)

mugwump
11-01-2013, 21:11
If you're on foot I feel pretty safe recommending a Steripen. It uses UV light to scramble the DNA of any nasties. I've used it for about two weeks total in Honduras and hiking the Corcovado in Costa Rico but my daughter has used one for the last 7 months in Vietnam, Tibet, Cambodia, etc. Ours are the older ones that use two CR123A, but they have new versions that use NIMH AAs, solar power, hand crank, etc. The daughter is pretty suspicious of tech solutions but hasn't been let down by this device. She hiked to the Everest base camp where the sanitary conditions are questionable ("f***ing gross" was her technical description) and she was fine when even the Sherpas had the squirts. We both prefilter with paper coffee filters if the water it's goopy. She carries a Surefire toe-popper full of batts on really long segments--she really hates chem treated water.

Pros: no chemical taste; works as well on cold or warm water; only takes 60/90 seconds for 16/32 oz.; small and light; (huge to me) if you're in an area where water is plentiful you don't need to hump excess water because you can get another 32 oz in 90 secs. I'm convinced the "chem" people I've hiked with got sick because they rushed things when thirsty and didn't give the iodine or whatever time to work.

Cons: batteries, only 50 liters per set (although if you're recharging less of an issue); it's a device, and devices break--you need Aquapure as backup.

mugwump
11-01-2013, 21:17
If you have a 4x4 (which I do) there are hundreds of dirt roads to get out of the Valley on. Thousands of illegals use them every day around here....;)

Ha. I stand corrected, Granny. :o

Barbarian
11-02-2013, 14:52

We've been using the 4gallon Berkey in my house for 3 years. It filters parasites well.

Roguish Lawyer
12-15-2013, 18:03
I just sent links to Catwoman for Christmas. :)

LOL, this unit is for some reason not legal in CA!!!!! I have to find a place out of state to ship it, then bring it in myself.

Go ahead, start piling it on . . .

Team Sergeant
12-15-2013, 21:38
LOL, this unit is for some reason not legal in CA!!!!! I have to find a place out of state to ship it, then bring it in myself.

Go ahead, start piling it on . . .

Let me know and I'll do a straw purchase for you......;)

Beef
12-21-2013, 15:54
TS quote: " My Royal Berkey water filter just arrived. I got it with 4x black filters."

I have never heard of these. Checked out the link and I have to say, I'm really impressed. Especially by the output/cost ratio. This is great for the hurricane zone. I won't even have to grovel to the wife to justify one. Amazing what I've learned here! Thanks, TS!

If you're on foot I feel pretty safe recommending a Steripen. It uses UV light to scramble the DNA of any nasties. I've used it for about two weeks total in Honduras and hiking the Corcovado in Costa Rico but my daughter has used one for the last 7 months in Vietnam, Tibet, Cambodia, etc. Ours are the older ones that use two CR123A, but they have new versions that use NIMH AAs, solar power, hand crank, etc. The daughter is pretty suspicious of tech solutions but hasn't been let down by this device. She hiked to the Everest base camp where the sanitary conditions are questionable ("f***ing gross" was her technical description) and she was fine when even the Sherpas had the squirts. We both prefilter with paper coffee filters if the water it's goopy. She carries a Surefire toe-popper full of batts on really long segments--she really hates chem treated water.

Pros: no chemical taste; works as well on cold or warm water; only takes 60/90 seconds for 16/32 oz.; small and light; (huge to me) if you're in an area where water is plentiful you don't need to hump excess water because you can get another 32 oz in 90 secs. I'm convinced the "chem" people I've hiked with got sick because they rushed things when thirsty and didn't give the iodine or whatever time to work.

Cons: batteries, only 50 liters per set (although if you're recharging less of an issue); it's a device, and devices break--you need Aquapure as backup.
Mug, I had looked into Steripens, I guess, 3-4 years ago. The most common complaint was that they did not hold up well in hot, humid climates. So I didn't invest in one. But based on your daughter's experience, those short comings have been corrected. I'll give them another look now. Thanks for posting!

Flagg
12-21-2013, 17:10
I've heard nothing but good things about the Berkey.

But they are pretty rare way down here. There is an importer and we're going to look at the smallest stainless steel unit.

We currently use a pair of Katadyn Combi's for training/camping/emergency use:

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-endurance-series-products/katadyn-combi/

Small enough to carry in a pack/BoB, but very good quality and good throughput/redundancy.

Katadyn makes some good kit in my experience.

The Reaper
12-21-2013, 21:17
The units are smaller than they appear.

The Big Berkey is like a large office coffeepot size.

Base the unit size you buy off the quantity of water you need processed.

A gallon per day, per person is reasonable. The Berkeys I have used have flowed significantly slower then the rated values, so add a safety margin.

Hope that helps.

TR

mugwump
12-21-2013, 21:21
Mug, I had looked into Steripens, I guess, 3-4 years ago. The most common complaint was that they did not hold up well in hot, humid climates. So I didn't invest in one. But based on your daughter's experience, those short comings have been corrected. I'll give them another look now. Thanks for posting!

My daughter's Steripen died two weeks ago in Nepal and she's asked for another for Christmas. She said it just stopped and battery changes didn't remediate. When she got back down to sea level it started working again but she no longer trusts it and wants to replace it. My use in hot/humid has been too short for me to feel safe recommending it but as I said she's used it from 0-15k feet and for extended periods in hot/humid environment to good effect. That said, she's always carried Aquapure as backup.

doctom54
12-21-2013, 21:56

I've been using a Steripen for about 4 years now from the Okefenokee Swamp to the
Rockies and into Central America. I usually "filter" with a doubled silk bandana then use the Steripen. I have the 4 AA model and it works great.
IF i was worried about chemical contaminants I would choose something with a charcoal filter. Otherwise I will continue to use the Steripen. They have models with AA, CR123 and now one with an internal battery and a USB port.
For Christmas I'm getting my son a Biolite stove and a Steripen with the USB rechargeable battery. As long as you have some wood you will have a stove and a way to make to make potable water. (yes I know you can always "boil" water but that takes time when moving or in a restaurant in a third world country.)

BryanK
02-12-2014, 12:05
With this winter storm rapidly approaching my AO, the thread linked here (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33512&highlight=Water+system&page=5) got me to thinking about how I could affordably filter large amounts of water for sustained periods of time for my family, and those in my community should we lose power/town water supply for a long period. MtnGoat posted a picture (below), of a device I could use for continual water storage after some bug/dust proofing with just a few modifications.

I saw this ceramic water filter on cheaper than dirt, and it seems like a decent investment for the yield. Here is a link to the filter with a youtube video embedded in the page for installation instruction. All in all, it looks like a cheap, and efficient way to process a decent amount of consumable water CTD Link (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352).

I imagine something primitive such as this could find it's use out there where you guy's do business as well.

alelks
02-12-2014, 18:38
With this winter storm rapidly approaching my AO, the thread linked here (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33512&highlight=Water+system&page=5) got me to thinking about how I could affordably filter large amounts of water for sustained periods of time for my family, and those in my community should we lose power/town water supply for a long period. MtnGoat posted a picture (below), of a device I could use for continual water storage after some bug/dust proofing with just a few modifications.

I saw this ceramic water filter on cheaper than dirt, and it seems like a decent investment for the yield. Here is a link to the filter with a youtube video embedded in the page for installation instruction. All in all, it looks like a cheap, and efficient way to process a decent amount of consumable water CTD Link (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352).

I imagine something primitive such as this could find it's use out there where you guy's do business as well.

Can't get much cheaper than that. You can purchase the food grade buckets and lids at Lowes. :) I just put up 50 lbs of rice and also some spaghetti and noodles for long term food storage.

I used mylar bags, sucked the air out with my foodsaver and sealed them up using a cheap flat hair iron. Oh yea, I also put oxygen absorbers in each bag which takes out the left over oxygen and emits nitrogen. All of this was pretty cheap. The 50lb bag of rice was only 19 dollars at Sams club.

Info on buckets:

CLick Me (http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/food-grade-buckets-gamma-seals/)

There is also a link at the bottom of the page on food storage using the method I described above.

Just remember though that this system does not purify the water, it only filters it. It can still have harmful viruses in it. For this reason the Berkey filter is definitely the way to go. You can do the same thing with their filters but they are roughly $50 each.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/berkey-water-filters/berkey-filter-systems.html?gclid=CK_Ph4ejyLwCFedlOgodA3IABQ

badshot
02-13-2014, 02:31
TS there is a place near Lake Pleasant few know about that has many clean springs. if you want coords to check out pm me. Though I could show up with two kids under eight, grandma, and wife. Actually has a very cool (temp wise) small canyon too. Taken a lot of predators there.

For anyone wanting a personal Purifier that's light and not too expensive First Need XLE Elite will keep you safe from everything.

As most of you know, drinking bad water can be a bad time; show ender inclusive.

Excellent choice - might have to pick up a Traveler for the truck