PDA

View Full Version : A Week's Worth of Groceries

Requiem
10-29-2013, 13:36
Here's (http://fstoppers.com/what-a-week-of-groceries-looks-like-around-the-world) an interesting photo-essay documenting what a week's worth of groceries looks like around the globe.

It inadvertently also becomes a statement on health, land-fill use, and wealth. :)

S.

Kyobanim
10-29-2013, 14:40
I guess those Germans are thirsty.

NurseTim
10-29-2013, 15:23
Our diet looks like crap, as well as briton's and the more developed countries except Canada, Australia, and Japan.

VVVV
10-29-2013, 15:43
Our diet looks like crap, as well as briton's and the more developed countries except Canada, Australia, and Japan.

How does one family's diet become "our" diet:confused: It sure a hell doesn't even remotely resemble mine.

MR2
10-29-2013, 16:16
I thought S.A.D. was for Seasonal Affective Disorder - i.e. the Wintertime blues?

GratefulCitizen
10-29-2013, 20:34
I suspect that NurseTim is referring to the Western pattern diet, which includes high intakes of refined sugars, red meat, and high fat foods.

These arbitrary categories don't provide much useful information.
Refined sugars generally don't have much variance, but there are tremendous differences among different sources of "red meat" and among "high fat foods".

Just generic words useful for marketing gimmicks.

echoes
10-29-2013, 22:05
My humble little two cents...It depends on who or whom you are cooking for. Period. Could take samples from the German and Japan kitchens, as well as U.S.

To myself this article has an agenda, and it does not paint Americans very favorably.
Which in turn, irritates the Hell out me as a cook b/c believe it or not, most American families/ Companies I have prepared menus and food for want good healthy and flavorful options includng...red meat and butter and all things n between. :)

Just sayin...Enough of the America bashing!

Holly

JHD
10-30-2013, 02:28
I am a big believer in balance in all things. I am glad to say, my kitchen looks more like Canada's. We like butter, I like real cream, but we are also big on fresh fruits, veggies, and lean protein. Pizza no more than once a month, if that often.

Team Sergeant
10-30-2013, 07:13
That's not an American family, there's no beer in that picture!

Wow talk about processed and fast food lovers! A bias food photo if you ask me. But it might explain why 85% of Americans are fat....... I'm surprised by looking at that "American family" photo the parents are as slim as they are....

GratefulCitizen
10-30-2013, 07:44
The marketing of what? A higher intake of, for example, lean meat, polyunsaturated and monosaturated fats, fruits and vegetables?

I'll buy into that.

Was looking at the generalization of red meat and high fat food.

The nature of a given source of red meat is dependent upon what the animal ate, toxins exposure, processing, preservatives, storage time, cooking time/temperature, etc.
"Fat" is a term which refers to collection of many different types of molecules.

For animal sources fat is dependent on what the animal ate and toxin exposure (toxins accumulate in fat).
Fat is greatly affected by processing, preservatives, storage time, and cooking time/temperature.

There are the ratios of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids to consider.
Persistent myths scare people away from saturated fats.

Human breast milk is loaded with saturated fat.
Must be a reason.

Argentinians seem to fare well with plenty of red meat.
The French enjoy good health despite saturated fat.

American food suffers from the natural consequences of economics.
It is a competitive, price-driven industry where the greatest profit margins are found in cheap production and maximum shelf life.

Source foods are produced with an emphasis of quantity rather than quality.
The drive for long shelf life results in food-like products which are preserved with strange chemicals and harsh cooking while being made palatable by added sugar or artificial sweeteners.

There are limits to the human body's ability to tolerate toxic insults.

Richard
10-30-2013, 07:46
Menzel and D’Aluisio’s book Hungry Planet: What the World Eats (Material World Books, Ten Speed Press, 2005)—is another around-the-world exploration of average daily life, this time focusing on food in 24 countries. The authors detail each family’s weekly food purchases and the total cost, and use thought-provoking interviews. The centerpiece of each chapter is a portrait of the entire family surrounded by a week’s worth of groceries. The couple won the coveted James Beard Best Book Award in 2006 for Hungry Planet, and in 2005 received Book of the Year for the volume from the Harry Chapin World Hunger Media Foundation.

http://www.menzelphoto.com/bio.php

Might be interesting to read the entire book, revisit the families, and compare 'then' (the 2005 photo-essays pictured) and 'now' (2013) to see what, if any, changes have taken place in the diets of those same families.

Richard

Sdiver
10-30-2013, 08:44
That's not an American family, there's no beer in that picture!

Wow talk about processed and fast food lovers! A bias food photo if you ask me. But it might explain why 85% of Americans are fat....... I'm surprised by looking at that "American family" photo the parents are as slim as they are....

There is beer in that "American Family's" picture. Just to the left of the brown cabinet, under the 12 pack of coke and capri sun, you can see a 12 pack of Budweiser.

I agree about all the "fast" and processed foods in that picture. Not to big on the fruits and veggies. All I can see is some grapes and a couple of tomatoes.

The only thing that I am glad/happy to see in that "American Family" picture, is the package of BACON displayed front and center. :D

x SF med
10-30-2013, 08:54
How does one family's diet become "our" diet:confused: It sure a hell doesn't even remotely resemble mine.

Not even close to ours... don't those people eat any veggies and lean protiens?

Team Sergeant
10-30-2013, 09:20
There is beer in that "American Family's" picture. Just to the left of the brown cabinet, under the 12 pack of coke and capri sun, you can see a 12 pack of Budweiser.

I agree about all the "fast" and processed foods in that picture. Not to big on the fruits and veggies. All I can see is some grapes and a couple of tomatoes.

The only thing that I am glad/happy to see in that "American Family" picture, is the package of BACON displayed front and center. :D

Everyone that is a real American has to have BACON!!!

Requiem
11-01-2013, 15:57
Menzel and D’Aluisio’s book Hungry Planet: What the World Eats (Material World Books, Ten Speed Press, 2005)—is another around-the-world exploration of average daily life, this time focusing on food in 24 countries. http://www.menzelphoto.com/bio.php
[/COLOR]

The American family we're so critical of is featured in this book. At the time of the photo they lived in NC and both parents were breadwinners. They admitted to having weight problems, especially their boys who were "picky" eaters when younger.

There were two other American families featured in the book, both with slightly better eating habits. Prepackaged foods seem to dominate all three family's grocery carts.

The book may have had an agenda, but I think Americans have honestly earned their high cholesterol, obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

Most of America's health problems are related to lifestyle choices and a lot of those choices are made in the grocery store.

Do we all eat like the family in the photo? I don't know a single family who does and apparently no one here does, either. Which is good! When I go to the grocery store, I shop the perimeter where the bakery, dairy, and fresh produce are located. Rarely do I venture into the aisles, which take up 80% of the store and have nothing but packaged foods, convenience items, junk foods, frozen dinners and every other kind of nonsense that Americans put into their bodies.

But lets face it: grocery stores only stock what people are buying. And boy, are they buying all that crap in the aisles.

Susan

Oldrotorhead
11-01-2013, 16:25
I shop the perimeter where the bakery, dairy, and fresh produce are located. Rarely do I venture into the aisles, which take up 80% of the store and have nothing but packaged foods, convenience items, junk foods, frozen dinners and every other kind of nonsense that Americans put into their bodies.

But lets face it: grocery stores only stock what people are buying. And boy, are they buying all that crap in the aisles.

Susan

If you add the center for oatmeal, dried beans, pasta and pasta sauce as well as spices. I shop close to the way you do. We rarely eat pizza and almost never fast food. I avoid the frozen food isles except for frozen veggies and fruit. Bread and starch are my down fall so I try to eat bread with one meal at most and avoid almost all snacks like chips of any kind. I also never knowingly buy any farm raised fish or seafood from Asia.

Requiem
11-01-2013, 17:07
Yes, should have added that I sprint down the center for certain staples. :D But the longer I linger in the aisles, the more tempting things I see. I'm not immune to them. ;)

We buy bulk flour, beans, rice, oats, and most seasonings from Costco, along with our fresh/frozen veggies and fruit. Used to buy eggs, until my 11 y/o became a chicken farmer.

S.

echoes
11-02-2013, 19:36
The book may have had an agenda, but I think Americans have honestly earned their high cholesterol, obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

Most of America's health problems are related to lifestyle choices and a lot of those choices are made in the grocery store.
Susan

My opinion on this subject is the polar opposite, and will agree to disagree on the subject due to my Ernest belief that Americans in general are good, honest, hardworking folks who want the best they can have for themselves and families when it comes to what they eat.

It is part of my life, so yeah I take it seriously.

And my opinion is not inclusive of those who chose the lazy day out when making nutritional choices, but rather the broader spectrum of those who do care, which in my experiences to date included a large portion of "Americans."

JMHO,:munchin

Holly

And a small P.S., I was a rail "thin" Examle of "healthy," until I learned to stop having such a pre occupation with weather I was thin enough or not, and decided to be healthy in life instead.

Requiem
11-03-2013, 01:04
And my opinion is not inclusive of those who chose the lazy day out when making nutritional choices, but rather the broader spectrum of those who do care, which in my experiences to date included a large portion of "Americans."

Hey Holly,

We can do that - agree to disagree.

But I don't think our opinions are that far apart (not a polar-to-polar's worth, anyway. :)). I agree that Americans want the best for their families and are concerned about healthy lifestyle choices. Awareness of the link between diet and health is growing and more families are looking for healthy alternatives. Here's where our continental drift between opinions begins: There are those, however, that are lazy, or uneducated about nutrition and there must be a number of them, or the grocery stores would look more like a farmer's market and the hospitals would be less busy.

I admire your determination to look and feel healthy, and to use your cooking talents to help others experience the same. We need more of that.

I take it seriously, too. I'm about as conservative as they get when it comes to healthy lifestyles. National Geographic once highlighted three populations of people that live longer, healthier lives than almost anyone on the planet. I belong to one of those. My husband and my mother are part of an on-going, 40-year study on this same population.

S.