PDA

View Full Version : Another School Shooting, Marine Stands his Ground

Team Sergeant
10-21-2013, 20:26
Something I'd expect from a former Marine....

Blue Skies Michael Landsberry, your watch is over and thank you for defending the children.

TS

2 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Nevada middle school
Published October 21, 2013/
FoxNews.com

A teacher a middle school in Nevada was shot and killed while trying to protect children after a student arrived on campus Monday and started opening fire turning the weapon on himself, police say.

One male student injured in the shooting at Sparks Middle School in Sparks, Nev., has gone through surgery, while the other is doing well, Washoe County School District Chief of Police Mike Mieras said during a news conference.

Family members identified the staff member who was killed as math teacher Michael Landsberry, a 45-year-old military veteran who leaves behind a wife and two stepdaughters.

The gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after turning the semi-automatic handgun on himself, authorities said.

A Sparks police dispatcher said reports of the shooting -- which happened on the school's campus, but outside the school building itself -- started coming in at 7:16 a.m. local time.

Police said between 150 and 200 officers responded to the shooting.

Kyle Nucum, a 13-year-old student, told the Reno Gazette-Journal that he saw a classmate shoot a teacher.

“We were at the basketball court and we heard a pop, like a loud pop, and everybody was screaming and the teacher came to investigate – I thought it was a firecracker at first, but the student was pointing a gun at the teacher after the teacher told him to put it down and the student fired a shot at the teacher and the teacher fell and everybody ran away," he said. “And we ran across the field to get somewhere safe and while we were running we heard about four or five more shots and we just got somewhere safe. This lady let us into her house.”

Authorities believe Landsberry, a former Marine, was trying to protect students when he was killed. He just celebrated his wedding anniversary on Oct. 18, The Las Vegas-Review Journal reported.

“My estimation is that he is a hero,” said Reno Police Department Deputy Chief Tom Robinson.

Police said there is no apparent motive yet for the shooting and they believe the gunman acted alone.

Cont:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/21/police-respond-to-reports-shooting-at-nevada-middle-school/

Sohei
10-21-2013, 20:31
Rest In Peace, my brother!

Thank you for standing in the gap to protect others!

albeham
10-22-2013, 05:11
RIP my brother...

SF_BHT
10-22-2013, 05:35
Rest in Peace Marine.....

The Reaper
10-22-2013, 06:56
Well done, Marine.

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.

RIP now.

TR

Surgicalcric
10-22-2013, 08:00
Into the breech once more, said Mr Landsberry.

May you rest in peace with the knowledge that you did what was needed, what others wouldn't have.

Crip

GrumpyMedic
10-22-2013, 08:15
Semper Fi

Bloodline
10-22-2013, 08:41
Condolences to the family. Semper Fi.

FlagDayNCO
10-22-2013, 08:43
Marines honor their oath. Prayers for your family. Semper Fi.

jbour13
10-22-2013, 08:46
RIP Marine.

Stobey
10-22-2013, 18:42
Rest in peace, Marine. Your job here is finished. Thank you for your service - and your sacrifice. My prayers out to you and your family.

JHD
10-22-2013, 18:46
RIP sir. You made a difference. Prayers for your loved ones and the community.