PDA

View Full Version : Solar Chargers?

TRU
10-21-2013, 17:56
I have been searching around here, but came up with no answers.

Does anybody have any experience with Solar Chargers for small electronic devices? Specifically, I'm looking at the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus adventure Kit. With the ProDeal it's only $77.00, but they're out of stock right now. I'd like something to charge my phone and maybe iPod while I'm out, but reviews seem to show GoalZero products as hit or miss. Any input, gents?

tonyz
10-21-2013, 18:08
TRU,

Search around link below - starting with post #795.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10819&highlight=Goal&page=54

The Reaper
10-21-2013, 18:23
I have had good luck with the Powerfilm chargers.

TR

TRU
10-22-2013, 10:25
I appreciate the quick replies! I'll look into the Instapark and the Powerfilm.

The Reaper
10-22-2013, 11:10
I appreciate the quick replies! I'll look into the Instapark and the Powerfilm.

Amazon has a 5 watt Powerfilm for $60.

TR

TRU
10-23-2013, 06:06
Just ordered the Powerfilm 5W. In the mean time I'll be using my buddy's Goal Zero Nomad7 that he just got. Thanks again.

DJ Urbanovsky
10-23-2013, 10:14
If you're looking to charge mobile devices like phones or tablets, I've had great luck with a device I got off of Ebay for about $40.

3" x 4" x 5/8" footprint. About the same size as a Galaxy SIII.

6000mah internal battery.

Solar panels on the top.

Battery level indicator.

You can charge the internal battery by plugging it in or by leaving it in the sun.

Has two USB outs so you can charge several devices at once.

I've had mine for about a year now and taken it on the road, hiking, camping, etc... Zero issues, works great, and doesn't take up a lot of space. When we're at home or driving, I just toss it up in the window.

FlagDayNCO
07-04-2014, 06:29
I wanted to bump this, and share my experiences.

I've used two different solar kits, both the portable type that a back packer would carry. For the one, I also have the AA rechargeable module.

Kindle, Samsung, Droid and Blackberry devices were able to be charged with no issues. A recent/ newer version of the Kindle would only work with one of the chargers.

iPhones and iPads are another story. None of the devices could be charged directly, requiring the solar kit to charge a power pack, which could be used to charge or enhance the iFamily.

What I found interesting, is when an iOS upgrade was downloaded, the iPhones would no longer accept a charge from the power pack. Unsupported power supply or something was the error message.

There are iPhone compatable power packs/ charging systems, but they demand apremium price. I did have a power pack that was iPhone compatable, but once iGod decided to upgrade their software, it became defunct.

So, something to consider is whether the device(s) we use will be compatable in a year.

Now, other electronics, such as the small two-way radios and flip phones, had no issues. When the big power goes out on the cellular service, often the text is the first back on. Flip phones with text capability are still a good back up communication device.

Paslode
07-04-2014, 08:31
I noticed a 10w solar charger at COSTCO the other day that comes with a 5200 mah storage/charging device.

http://www.costco.com/Grape-Solar-GoPower-10%3A-Portable-Device-Charging-Kit.product.100107322.html

It looks pretty handy, but the problem I run into is the charging cables for my phone go bad after 2-3 months, more specifically the micro usb end wears out.

DaveP
04-29-2017, 04:08
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-solar-charger

Was looking into Anker products and found this compilation. Impressed with the output/wt-and- cost ratio improvements out there.

DaveP