PDA

View Full Version : POTUS is Cool

NousDefionsDoc
11-20-2004, 22:36
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041121/D86FV9GO0.html

Bush Pulls Top Security Agent From Fracas

Nov 20, 8:51 PM (ET)

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) - President Bush stepped into the middle of a confrontation and pulled his lead Secret Service agent away from Chilean security officials who barred his bodyguards from entering an elegant dinner for 21 world leaders Saturday night.

Several Chilean and American agents got into a pushing and shoving match outside the cultural center where the dinner was held. The incident happened after Bush and his wife, Laura, had just posed for pictures on a red carpet with the host of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, Chilean President Ricardo Lagos and his wife, Luisa Duran.

As Bush stepped inside, Chilean agents closed ranks at the door, blocking the president's agents from following. Stopping for more pictures, Bush noticed the fracas and turned back. He reached through the dispute and pulled his agent from the scrum and into the building.

The president, looking irritated, straightened his shirt cuffs as he went into the dinner. The incident was shown on APEC television.

"Chilean security tried to stop the president's Secret Service from accompanying him," said White House deputy press secretary Claire Buchan. "He told them they were with him and the issue was resolved."

Radar Rider
11-20-2004, 22:43
That is pretty cool on the President's part!

It'll suck, though, if the Secret Service has to get it's own bodyguards. :eek:

Shark Bait
11-20-2004, 22:50
That's my President! Damn glad we kept him where he belongs!!

The Reaper
11-20-2004, 23:05
I saw the video, damn good SA by the POTUS. Only a couple of secs and he was turned around and wading in to help.

Wonder how long it would have taken Bill and Hill to realize that their Agents were missing?

TR

CommoGeek
11-21-2004, 09:11
Wonder how long it would have taken Bill and Hill to realize that their Agents were missing?

Kerry would've had a plan for dealing with this, I'm sure.

How many other Presidents would have acted the way Bush did? One act doesn't make him a great President but it does show us what his character is like and his loyalties.

Sigi
11-21-2004, 09:28
Much of the little things like this we hear about tell me he is a doer, and not a talker.

Bill Harsey
11-21-2004, 09:41
Yep, That's my pres.

What part of the President of the United Sates of America having his secret service guys stick with him is new?

Somebody get those way south of the border bubbanistas a picture diagram on how this works.

NousDefionsDoc
11-21-2004, 10:08
I like that little smile/smirk he gets when he does something. He did it after he saved the SS guy on the video.

Max_Tab
11-21-2004, 10:38
I alway's figured he was a scrapper

lrd
11-21-2004, 16:30
A little more info on the history of the encounter.

http://echamber.blogspot.com/2004/11/shrub-in-scrum.html

This one has a picture of the President in his rugby days:

http://www.freewillblog.com/index.php/weblog/comments/4740/

Way to go, Sir!

Tuukka
11-21-2004, 16:45
Yep, That's my pres.

What part of the President of the United Sates of America having his secret service guys stick with him is new?

Somebody get those way south of the border bubbanistas a picture diagram on how this works.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/bush_canofwhoopass.jpg

Huey14
11-21-2004, 16:54
He played rugby? His respect factor just went up 10 fold.

Pandora
11-21-2004, 21:25
Okay, I admit niavety.

What would make any foreign security forces consider for a mere second that they would be acceptable in replacement for the Secret Service detail? Is this common?

I respect and greatly admire Bush's calm intervention. I simply don't get why it was necessary in the first place.

If anyone notes follow-up with the Chilean forces from their handlers, that would be interesting. Spankings all around!

Guy
11-21-2004, 21:37
Okay, I admit niavety.

What would make any foreign security forces consider for a mere second that they would be acceptable in replacement for the Secret Service detail? Is this common?

NO! There is more to this story.

The "lead agent/AIC" would not have been involved...PERIOD!

Pandora
11-21-2004, 22:55
NO! There is more to this story.

The "lead agent/AIC" would not have been involved...PERIOD!

Hrmmm, there doesn't appear to be a way I could phrase my questions without violating procedural methods.

That said, I again plead niavety - how the h*ck could an opp involving the President NOT involve the lead agent. That doens't make sense at all.

(Personalizing somewhat) - I would like to think that the President's security detail lead is as much of a control freak as I am. If I am not the point man, I sure as h*ck would like to think that te guy on point is getting the details, working the program out and resumes skipping merrily along to guide us minions.

I'm getting very cynical. Since you posted this, Guy, I believe that you are offering first-hand experience and knowledge.

That just ... bites. One *ss with a FrontSight hold could screw the whole day. Say it ain't so!

Guy
11-22-2004, 06:45
When I was working. "I" would not had let you touch! The AIC.

There had to be some type of mis-communication(s) problem(s) between the two security details. What they were? I don't know.

CRad
11-22-2004, 10:31
Being your basic conspiracy theorist - What if Pres Bush's reaction was exactly what bad guys might have been looking for? There he was, alone, reaching into a crowd of people. Perfect time for someone with an agenda to shoot him. I like that he waded in to get his guy, but feel he put himself at risk by doing so.

My opinion is that he owes a responsibility to the American people to not put himself in harms's way.

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2004, 10:37
How much risk we he have been at if he hadn't done it but rather continued into the room alone?

CRad
11-22-2004, 10:43
How much risk we he have been at if he hadn't done it but rather continued into the room alone?

That's a good point, but would it have been greater than reaching into "scrum" of people?

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2004, 10:46
We'll never know now, will we? ;)

CRad
11-22-2004, 10:48
To go a step further - That one agent surely wasn't the only one with him. Getting that guy out of middle of the Chilean guards should have been done by other agents. You need to remember that I'm still mad at the idiots who bitch about the Prez not going directly back to DC from FL on 9/11.

Guy
11-22-2004, 11:05
To go a step further - That one agent surely wasn't the only one with him. Getting that guy out of middle of the Chilean guards should have been done by other agents. You need to remember that I'm still mad at the idiots who bitch about the Prez not going directly back to DC from FL on 9/11.

The POTUS is feared...LMAO! :D

I can see terrorist around the world thinking....

"If the POTUS will jump into the middle of scuffle, WTF is he going to do, to us"?

NousDefionsDoc
11-22-2004, 11:16
Where you bean anyway CRad?

The Reaper
11-22-2004, 12:00

C:

Have you seen the tape?

It appears that the Chileans took umbrage at US security following the POTUS around armed, protecting him in their country.

The Chilean security agents let the principals through, then closed to refuse access to any of the Secret Service agents. This may have been planned in advance.

It wasn't "that guy", all of the Secret Service was trying to push their way through the Chilean security agents to the President.

By the time the POTUS got there, tempers were already starting to flare and physical confrontations were beginning, as one Secret Service agent was grabbed and tossed up against the wall by the HN personnel.

I think the President quickly defused what could have been a pretty ugly situation.

IMHO, any future trips to Chile will be off unless all agree to the security ground rules in advance.

TR

CRad
11-22-2004, 12:29
IMHO, any future trips to Chile will be off unless all agree to the security ground rules in advance.

TR

That is the crux of the matter right there. I have nothing but admiration for the Secret Service. They are dedicated professionals. I just don't like the idea of the President of the United States needing to reach into a crowd of people that way.

CRad
11-22-2004, 12:34
Where you bean anyway CRad?

Practicing my verbal take downs. You ready to go 15 rounds with me? :lifter

Guy
11-22-2004, 13:04
That is the crux of the matter right there. I have nothing but admiration for the Secret Service. They are dedicated professionals. I just don't like the idea of the President of the United States needing to reach into a crowd of people that way.

Shows a lot of character for POTUS to do that. I was scared and amused (grinning) to a degree after watching the video several times.

Sacamuelas
11-22-2004, 13:23
Anyone got a link to the video??? I have only seen still frames. :munchin

Guy
11-22-2004, 15:16
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/11/21/apec.bush.security/

See if this one works.

Roguish Lawyer
11-22-2004, 15:35
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/11/21/apec.bush.security/

See if this one works.

Not without paying for it . . . :munchin

Shark Bait
11-22-2004, 15:40
They want money for that one. Know of any free links?? I'm cheap.

Jo Sul
11-22-2004, 16:30
That link works for me (and I don't pay for it), wonder what is different?

Sacamuelas
11-22-2004, 16:48
See if this one works.
It did. Thanks Guy. I had read that article but my SA wasn't up to par because I missed the link to the video. :o

Jo Sul... it worked for me too. I am an AOL member and get CNN membership free. If you are, then that is probably why.

Smokin Joe
11-22-2004, 16:52
Here is another one for all of us who don't have AOHELL.

http://www.dailyrecycler.com/blog/2004/11/taking-charge.html

It takes a minute to load and is a little grainy but its free.

Roguish Lawyer
11-22-2004, 17:00
Here is another one for all of us who don't have AOHELL.

http://www.dailyrecycler.com/blog/2004/11/taking-charge.html

It takes a minute to load and is a little grainy but its free.

I tried it, but it says "Closed."

Jo Sul
11-22-2004, 17:08
Works fine for me - ???

Smokin Joe
11-22-2004, 17:14
I tried it, but it says "Closed."

Sorry must be a So Cal thing. You know the dumbocrats blocking you from seeing the POTUS as a bad mama-jama. I just clicked on the section of your quoted thread and it works for me as does my original post.

Huey14
11-22-2004, 19:19
I remember when APEC was in Auckland, they had to have some mammoth discussions with the USSS over all sorts of issues.

Ha, some guy's cellphone went off just as Clinton drove by. He reached for it and suddenly found the USSS don't mind sharing the love.