PDA

View Full Version : 'Bout time!

Dusty
10-18-2013, 07:57
Well, Muzzloader Season starts up here tomorrow. Seems like nearly a year since the last one. ;)

Going after the same atypical big boy for the third year; they're already chasing does around out here.

Good hunting to anybody else who's heading out...

TrapLine
10-18-2013, 11:09
Three weeks until rifle season begins here; though the population is down quite a bit due to the long winter last year and the wolf population. I did draw a tag to try and reduce the wolf kill this next winter;).

Dusty
10-20-2013, 07:40
Well, I got a shot at the big 'un I've been trying to ambush for 3 years Sat AM. (He winked at me last year at the last light of the last day to hunt.)

I shot, reloaded, fiddled around, took off some snivel gear-gave him plenty of time. Through the triple-7 smoke, I'd seen him crow hop.

I went down the hill and found a blood trail (heading straight for my truck!) across a cow feeder field, but it wasn't pink or black, but thin and watery, and petered out. No more than half a pint, total.

I marked the last drop and cloverleafed for 2 and a half hours, covering the entire 840-acre zone.

Then I went back and got my beagle with the best nose and a couple of neighbors, and we did it again, spooking one meelion does while we searched.

I could not figure it out. I released a 295-grain hollow point chunk of lead right at his boiler room, and he got a supercial cut from it ? :confused: I've hit small steel at 924 yards in a gusting, 18 mph wind out at Badlands, and this deer was less than 60 yards away when I fired.

I had flashed on the fact that my bead looked different when I shot, so I checked my front sight, and the light tube was missing. I took it home and shot a 3-ball group...4 inches high.

Gotta be a lesson here somewhere besides the Law of Murphy...

I'm gonna go set up on him again, a little closer to his bedding area, after I fix my weapon.

SF_BHT
10-20-2013, 08:46
Pre mission prep?

I always go out a few days prior and verify my zero and take a lot of care during transport and stalking to not bang around the gun.

I knocked off my zero once and that assed me up so much by missing a deer that I have OCD about my sights since then. But I have never missed due to a bad zero since then.

I feel your pain but I am sure you will get him. Enjoy all I have to shoot at down here are gang bangers.... Season is open all year round.:p:eek:

craigepo
10-20-2013, 08:52
Bummer. I am right there with you. Every year I have at least one stud (150 and up) running around the farm. Last year I had two of them on my game cameras. Finally got one of them in close (about 15 yards). That buck stayed in unpenetrable brush, waiting for dark, for so long that when he finally came out in my field, I couldn't make out his antlers with my scope (a Zeiss) at 25 yards.

I have seen two studs this year on my place. The cross-country team has been coming out and running my 5K, so I thought the deer would be a little spooked. But, the deer are still everywhere.

I guess the thousands of dollars I have spent setting up quail cover is working for quail and deer.

Dusty
10-20-2013, 08:52
Pre mission prep?

I always go out a few days prior and verify my zero and take a lot of care during transport and stalking to not bang around the gun.

I knocked off my zero once and that assed me up so much by missing a deer that I have OCD about my sights since then. But I have never missed due to a bad zero since then.

I feel your pain but I am sure you will get him. Enjoy all I have to shoot at down here are gang bangers.... Season is open all year round.:p:eek:

Exactly right, but I shot it Friday to check round impact. The little cylindrical high-visibilty light-gathering doomaflatchy (scientific term) fell off somewhere between the house and the hide.

You're absolutely right-there are plenty of bucks in the area-but I have a personal grudge against this particular Odocoileus Virguanewanus. :D

SF_BHT
10-20-2013, 12:35
Exactly right, but I shot it Friday to check round impact. The little cylindrical high-visibilty light-gathering doomaflatchy (scientific term) fell off somewhere between the house and the hide.

You're absolutely right-there are plenty of bucks in the area-but I have a personal grudge against this particular Odocoileus Virguanewanus. :D

See you are going against the black power gods. No high tech devices:cool: they were just getting even for putting that abondanation on a Black Power gun. Hell Cap Locks are unfair also. Flint is the way to go........:p

Good Luck hope you get him. Waiting for the photo....:munchin

Rob_Frey
10-20-2013, 15:51
I know how you feel Dusty, I had a similar experience, except I was shooting low. My scope had gotten knocked off somehow, and all I had at the scene was some white hair and a few drops of blood. I was certain I had aimed correctly. We even came back the next day, and couldn't find anymore sign either.

After the daylight search, I checked my zero and it was 6 inches low and 4 inches right. I still am not sure how the scope moved. And yes, I check my zero every year before deer season too.

Dusty
10-20-2013, 16:24
I went out this afternoon and found where he switched his rub line. He made a couple fresh ones last night, so hopefully he's not hurt too badly. The youngbloods are already sneaking around the does, but the ladies are keeping their tails down. ;) There must be some estrous floating around, though.

I moved my hide, and I'll wait til after it rains and slide in there again.

I set up a little closer to his rub line this time. ;)

Dusty
10-21-2013, 03:34
See you are going against the black power gods. No high tech devices:cool: they were just getting even for putting that abondanation on a Black Power gun. Hell Cap Locks are unfair also. Flint is the way to go........:p

Good Luck hope you get him. Waiting for the photo....

lol Got up this morning and decided to ambush him in the rain. After what happened, I scrutinized that rifle thoroughly, and the rear sight was loose on the ramp!

I just could not figure out how missing a fiber optic tube in the front sight could throw off the elevation, anyway.

I had the set point marked, so I re-adjusted it and screwed the sight down tight, and hopefully it won't come loose before I take a shot-if I do. Apparently the screw point has cut a little indent right where I've got it marked, and if it backs off at all, it will slide. :D

What outstanding examples of dedicated craftsmanship these CVA's are. :rolleyes:

Next year, I'll get a TC Impact like I should have, this year.

Lessons learned.

JJ_BPK
10-21-2013, 05:42
Another sympitic FOG.

I was hunting BP season about 20yrs ago in the Brown's Farm WMA, just west of Ft Lauderdale. It rained all night and was still drizzling at 4am when I got up. My 54 cal TC Renaged slep in the truck with me, so I was hoping it would stay dry. I had a leather bib over the primer.

My tree stand was a 10min walk, nice little scrub oak, lots of acorns, at 10AM this 8 point buck comes in behind me and starts munching, after 15 mins he walks right below my stand, 8ft shot down his back, feared he would spook when I cocked the hammer,, ready aim...

POP, the primer fires not the power &^%^%(^%*^*^*&^*

He didn't spook, so I slapped a new primer on,, ready aim...

POP,, I am thinking this is his lucky day.

I didn't reload, just watched him for another 15 minutes munching the acorns.

Back at the truck, I screwed the slug out, dumped the powed, it was clumpy... :o

I can Sympathize, with a capital S...

:boohoo

SF_BHT
10-21-2013, 09:09
Another sympitic FOG.

I was hunting BP season about 20yrs ago in the Brown's Farm WMA, just west of Ft Lauderdale. It rained all night and was still drizzling at 4am when I got up. My 54 cal TC Renaged slep in the truck with me, so I was hoping it would stay dry. I had a leather bib over the primer.

My tree stand was a 10min walk, nice little scrub oak, lots of acorns, at 10AM this 8 point buck comes in behind me and starts munching, after 15 mins he walks right below my stand, 8ft shot down his back, feared he would spook when I cocked the hammer,, ready aim...

POP, the primer fires not the power &^%^%(^%*^*^*&^*

He didn't spook, so I slapped a new primer on,, ready aim...

POP,, I am thinking this is his lucky day.

I didn't reload, just watched him for another 15 minutes munching the acorns.

Back at the truck, I screwed the slug out, dumped the powed, it was clumpy... :o

I can Sympathize, with a capital S...

:boohoo

Back to Rodgers Rangers ---- keep your power dry. Good luck Tuesday. Hope to see some photos from you and Dusty soon.

Dusty
10-21-2013, 09:19
No pics today.

I'm not gonna post again 'til I get this rapscallion.

The Reaper
10-21-2013, 09:24

Given your predictive history, I hope you don't wait that long.

Been nice knowing you.... :D

TR

Barbarian
10-21-2013, 11:13

Good luck, Brother. Hope you close the deal this time.

Sdiver
10-21-2013, 11:16

Awww man, I'm gonna miss ya. :(

Should we take up a meat collection to keep Dusty fed? :munchin

JJ_BPK
10-21-2013, 11:47
No pics today.

Don't miss the Super Bowl.. :D

SF_BHT
10-21-2013, 17:44
Ok we need to form a hunter killer team with an ORP on the reverse slope of Dusty's. Move in and dig a few hides and prepare to provide mutually supporting five to help our brother out. TR has the claymores, TS bring the grub, JJ bring the guns and I will bring the ammo. We still need a commo guy from TN and a Medic for when Dusty hurts him self as he clubs that poor deer to death.:D:munchin

We're with you Brother.... We're on the way..... Hope there is a Cracker Barrel near by........:eek:

Sorry I will call Mercer so the Commo God is covered....

mark46th
10-22-2013, 15:18
Switch to grenades. Or a Claymore...

Team Sergeant
10-22-2013, 16:12
Good Luck hope you get him. Waiting for the photo....:munchin

Holy mother of..... have you ever fired a flintlock rifle? It takes about half an hour from trigger pull to the bullet leaving the rifle! And if the air is still you're in a cloud of smoke for another half hour!

SF_BHT
10-22-2013, 16:28
Actually yes. I have 5 different ones and have taken many a deer with them..... I like the additional edge it gives to the game...... Makes me work harder so when I get one I enjoy it even Moore

Divemaster
10-23-2013, 22:34
I'll let him borrow my anti-spider gun. That is if I can figure out how to afford/steal the John Rigby .577/500 BPE for sale on www.vintagedoubles.com.

SF_BHT
10-30-2013, 11:51
Any one heard from our favorite vegetarian?:rolleyes:

SF_BHT
11-03-2013, 08:14
He lives and is ok......

Dusty

Clean out your PMs. Your account is full!!!!!

Stobey
11-09-2013, 00:09
Dusty, did you ever get that buck, or did you decide to give him some slack 'til rifle season? :D

T-Rock
11-14-2013, 23:35
Not the 12 pointer I've been trying to get, but this was my Veterans Day present. He walked out of the thicket at 7:03, down for good at 7:05

Knight Original Disc Rifle
100 grains Pyrodex
.50cal T/C Shockwave-200grains

Did you get em' Dusty?

Dusty
11-15-2013, 09:27
Not the 12 pointer I've been trying to get, but this was my Veterans Day present. He walked out of the thicket at 7:03, down for good at 7:05

100 grains Pyrodex

Did you get em' Dusty?

Is that rhetorical? How can I answer if I'm not supposed to post? :mad:

lol Congrats-beautiful buck!:lifter

No, I haven't got Bucky the Buckaroo, yet. He's still alive, and I've got 'til the 1st of December...

Toaster
11-15-2013, 14:45
Is that rhetorical? How can I answer if I'm not supposed to post? :mad:

If you had asked me to post a reply for you I would have...

You got my hopes up that you had gotten the deer when I saw a post by you.

Dusty
11-15-2013, 18:24
If you had asked me to post a reply for you I would have...

You got my hopes up that you had gotten the deer when I saw a post by you.

Well, I was between a rock and a hard place. ;) Had to answer the question.

Keep your hopes up. :lifter

Goin' back into the forest primeval 'til I've bagged the 10-point (or nine, still not sure how many he's got) or Obama is impeached, whichever comes first.

Sdiver
11-15-2013, 18:36
This is how I can see it playing out in Dusty's forest(s) .....

T-Rock
11-15-2013, 20:18
. lol Congrats-beautiful buck!

Thanks!

. Goin' back into the forest primeval 'til I've bagged the 10-point (or nine, still not sure how many he's got) or Obama is impeached, whichever comes first.

Well good luck Sir! This time of year is awesome in western NC. In our neck of the woods things are starting to heat up and it appears in another week or so the rut will be full-on, firing on all cylinders. I would gladly forgo the 12 I've seen if Obama is impeached :D

Dusty
11-16-2013, 09:47
This is how I can see it playing out in Dusty's forest(s) .....

lol If I could only get that close.

Dusty
11-23-2013, 10:41
OK, boys and girls, I'm violating self-imposed exile once again in order to update those of you waiting with bated breath on news about my execution of Bucky Buckaroo. (SDiver, you can skip this post. You wouldn't know a buck from a chihuaha.)

I've seen him twice since I missed the first shot of muzzleloader season (due to a faulty rear sight-that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it). After I missed him, I set up a bench lower to decrease the range, and switched over to my slug gun. The wind was coming from behind me, as well. Naturally, he passed my hide on the downwind side (uphill).

I moved back up two benches and set up an ambush in similar wind. This time, he went all the way to the top of the ridge, stopped behind me, got a whiff, and flashed tail. I went up to look at his tracks and saw a lickin' stick he'd been using over a fresh scrape trail along the ridgeline.

I've been waiting on the wind to do what it's doing today, and I'm setting up all the way downhill and across the pasture with the ought-6.

By 20 minutes after dark, I anticipate Bucky will expire due to perforation of the cardiac muscle by 150-grain Federal Premium soft-point projectile.

""Course I ain't braggin' or anything, 'cause it hasn't happened, yet."

Sdiver
11-23-2013, 10:49
You still ain't got him ?!?!?! :eek:

Holy crap, you must be starving .....

QUICK, SOMEBODY GET DUSTY A PB&J SAMMICH, STAT !!!!!!

I'd do it, but I gotta go look up what a chihuaha is ..... :munchin

Dusty
11-23-2013, 10:54
You still ain't got him ?!?!?! :eek:

Holy crap, you must be starving .....

QUICK, SOMEBODY GET DUSTY A PB&J SAMMICH, STAT !!!!!!

I'd do it, but I gotta go look up what a chihuaha is ..... :munchin

lol Dass raciss! :D

Dusty
11-23-2013, 18:40
Got a little over a hundred yards from him tonight at sunset and missed the shot. I had to shoot offhand and weave it through a bunch of tree limbs and vines, but I had the crosshairs on his brisket when the hammer dropped on the ought-six.

I'm gonna re-zero with a new box of ammo tomorrow and let him rest, but I just gave Mrs. Dusty a frag-o that I'll be camping out on his hindquarters all next week.

I got the best look at him yet-his G2's are over a foot long, he's at least 20 inches wide, and weighs at least 170 pounds. You could stick an ought-six bullet in his track and you'd still have half an inch to spare.

MR2
11-23-2013, 20:24
Thar she blows Cap'n Ahab, thar she blows!

Dusty
11-23-2013, 20:37

"Obsession" is an ugly emotion, Bro-but entirely applicable in this case. ;)

Dusty
11-23-2013, 20:39
6 days left to hunt this season...

No, I won't be doing a countdown.

PSM
11-23-2013, 20:52
"Obsession" is an ugly emotion, Bro-but entirely applicable in this case. ;)

When I was about 5 or 6, we lived in a pecan grove. My mom kept finding pecans in the oven after using it. She eventually found roasted pecan shells on the floor of the kitchen. My parents figured out that a mouse had been bringing in pecans and getting my mother to roast them for him.

My dad decided to set traps to catch the critter. Several weeks went by and the pecans were still getting roasted and eaten. (Why eat the cheese in the trap when you've got roasted pecans? ;))

One night after we all went to bed, we heard a "snap!". The next day my dad was as depressed as he was when our first dog died. ;)

Pat

Stobey
11-23-2013, 20:54
Don't let 'em get you down, Dusty. To quote Scarlett O'Hara: "Tomorrow is another day!"

SF_BHT
11-23-2013, 21:09
No wonder Dusty has had such a hard time. That bugger is smart. Birdflage, ninga climbing skills, pretending to be the family's dog and he sneaks up with more ninga skills to steal your food as you survey the ridge...

Good luck!!!!!

T-Rock
11-23-2013, 21:28
I can empathize Dusty. The 12, "Moose" is what I've named him, has outwitted me for the 6th time that I've been in the woods due to him scenting me, the wind never seems to cooperate....Lol. Nevertheless, since I'm an equal opportunity hunter :D I thought I was shooting a slick, but it turned out to be this lil feller the other day around 7:15am:

115 yards
100 grains Pyrodex

Hope you git em' Dusty!

Sdiver
11-23-2013, 22:02

Aye, tis the first thing I thought of Mr. Starbuck ....

Sdiver
11-29-2013, 12:13
6 days left to hunt this season...

No, I won't be doing a countdown.

TIMES UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot validate the authenticity of this, but I believe this is how Capt. Dusty Ahab's season ended.

I'm gonna miss him. :(

mark46th
11-29-2013, 16:29
That's a nice one!!

Dusty
11-29-2013, 18:44
TIMES UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot validate the authenticity of this, but I believe this is how Capt. Dusty Ahab's season ended.

I'm gonna miss him. :(

lolol

One more day.

At least I found out how I missed; it was eatin' me up-cant was off on the scope a couple degrees. Dead on at the distance I zeroed and no good at any other.

No excuse.

That's all right. He ain't that old. If I don't get him tomorrow, there's always the Christmas hunt.

Then, there's next year.

Obsessions know no time limits...

Dusty
12-16-2013, 17:49
No pics today.

Got 'im.

I went out to scout for his tracks in the mud for the Christmas hunt, and my neighbor pulled up in his truck window to window and told me he had the buck's head at his house, and I followed him over there and got it.

They found him across the road from where my truck had been parked the day I shot him, a few days later.

He wasn't a 10-point, and he wasn't 170 pounds, either, but I'm glad they found him, 'cause he was gettin' more massive as each day went by. :D

There's still another nice one in the area...

tonyz
12-16-2013, 17:54
Got 'im.

I went out to scout for his tracks in the mud for the Christmas hunt, and my neighbor pulled up in his truck window to window and told me he had the buck's head at his house, and I followed him over there and got it.

They found him across the road from where my truck had been parked the day I shot him, a few days later.

He wasn't a 10-point, and he wasn't 170 pounds, either, but I'm glad they found him, 'cause he was gettin' more massive as each day went by. :D

D,

Congrats on solving the minor mystery.

Glad you finally found him.

Good luck tracking the big boy !

He's big for a reason !!

Stobey
12-16-2013, 18:09
Good job Dusty! Glad you cleared that up. (Having to track a wounded deer - esp. when it's getting on dusk really sucks!) But it looks like you didn't get any venison meat from this guy. That is a shame. Have a better go at the next one!

Dusty
12-16-2013, 18:16
Good job Dusty! Glad you cleared that up. (Having to track a wounded deer - esp. when it's getting on dusk really sucks!) But it looks like you didn't get any venison meat from this guy. That is a shame. Have a better go at the next one!

Thanks! I went ahead and shot a doe last day of gun season, so we're eatin' venison-but-it won't last long.

The Christmas hunt is 26-28, but I'm stuck on this other buck, now. If I don't get him, I'll shoot another doe. (Evidently they didn't all disappear like everybody around here thought. They didn't see deer because there was a full moon for most of the rut, and so many nuts just about every tree was a hard mast producer, so they didn't have to move more than a few feet to eat.)

Dusty
12-16-2013, 18:28
delete

SF_BHT
12-16-2013, 18:36
Glad you finally solved the Great Buck Mistery.

Hope you get another so you can have some more meat.
Be safe out there.....

Dusty
12-16-2013, 18:40
Glad you finally solved the Great Buck Mistery.

Hope you get another so you can have some more meat.
Be safe out there.....

Thanks, Bro.

I'm trying to post a pic...

JJ_BPK
12-16-2013, 19:05
Got 'im.

Congratulations,, We are happy..

:lifter:lifter:lifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWV1YtU_NZA

Dusty
12-16-2013, 19:15
Congratulations,, We are happy..

:lifter:lifter:lifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWV1YtU_NZA

lolol How'd they do that? :D

MR2
12-16-2013, 19:27
lolol How'd they do that? :D

I think it is the fermented acorns...

SFOC0173
12-17-2013, 04:58
Found this on D&DH.

http://www.montanaoutdoor.com/2013/11/unusual-behavior-by-whitetail-buck-after-being-freed-by-hunter/

T-Rock
12-20-2013, 01:22
. Got 'im.

Congrats Sir!

Barbarian
12-20-2013, 17:09
Pictured is the fugitive in question. Photo courtesy of Dusty. (Congrats!)

MR2
12-21-2013, 08:07
Now that deer season is over, our intrepid Dusty has decided to take on bull riding...

Yehaa Dusty - ride'em cowboy! :lifter

Dusty
12-21-2013, 09:01
Now that deer season is over, our intrepid Dusty has decided to take on bull riding...

Yehaa Dusty - ride'em cowboy! :lifter

I'm sure that's utterly hilarious, as usual, but I can't seem to enlarge the pic so that I can see what it is...

Incidentally, deer season's not over. Christmas Gun season ends on 12/28. Bow season ends the last day of February.

Turns out the monster I wanted was killed toward the end of the regular modern gun season at 325 yards with a 7mm mag by the guy I bought my shack from. I saw his head the other day. RIP.

There's a good-sized, wide-racked buck at this new area I was invited to hunt, but I haven't found his feeding spots, yet, and it's too close to huntin' time to go out there and stink up the area. I know where the boss nanny is out there, so I'll just set up on her and see what happens.

I do pity you and Sdiver your Antler Envy... :D

SFOC0173
12-27-2013, 20:10
Never saw the buck. Assuming 2nd and 3rd pic is a bobcat and the other two are coyotes, but not sure. The area is southeast of Hot Springs, AR.

Dusty
12-28-2013, 13:19
Never saw the buck. Assuming 2nd and 3rd pic is a bobcat and the other two are coyotes, but not sure. The area is southeast of Hot Springs, AR.

That buck'll be a shooter next year.

The does are back up here-how 'bout your area?

SFOC0173
12-28-2013, 17:10
Originally Posted by Dusty
The does are back up here-how 'bout your area?

The does are still hitting the food plots but mostly everything is nocturnal. There is some daytime activity. I’m planning to ML hunt the next three days and then switch back to crossbow which will require a change in tactics.

MR2
01-01-2014, 14:40
Saw this on a t-shirt at a recent gun show...