PDA

View Full Version : A Day at the Lake

BMT (RIP)
10-16-2013, 18:03
Anyone ever did something like this before?? :D

Got tired of waiting on my motor to get rebuilt on my other boat so I went and bought a new pontoon boat.. SWEET!!
After about 6hrs of floating and fishing and swimming and severel 6 pks later.. it was time to head back to the boat ramp.
Backed the trailer down, SET THE PARKING BRAKE, and got out to help the wife load the BIG BOAT on the trailer... she was driving..
She EASES IN and I'm guiding her, like one of those guys with the orange flashlites at the airport...
AS SOON as she gets close.. she moves the wheel...SCRAAAAAAPPPPPEEEE... 3 tries later, she gets it on the trailer..

I get in the truck, pull the P. BRAKE RELEASE and drop it in gear.. truck doesn't move..
I try this SEVERAL TIMES and the truck is locked solid..
I'm pulling on the release with ALL MY MIGHT..and still nothing..
This stranger walks over and says,.."P BRAKE STUCK?? I say, YUP..
He throws out some suggestions with no luck..

15 minutes later..
As I'm cussin-up a storm and pulling on this friggin lever.. he leans in and says.. are you pulling the PARKING BRAKE RELEASE??
I YELLED, F-YES!!!.. He opens the door.. reaches in between my legs and pulls THE PARKING BRAKE RELEASE !!!!!!!!!!
I was pulling the HOOD LATCH!!
I never felt so stupid in my LIFE..
After MANY MANY THANK YOU'S.. we finished loading and tieing down the new boat to the trailer..

As I'm slowly driving out of the ramp.. The stranger leans in the window and whispers..."don't forget to close your hood"...
I'll BET THAT NEVER happens again!!

BMT

cbtengr
10-16-2013, 18:39
Chalk it up to the onset of Oldtimers disease;) .

glebo
10-17-2013, 06:46
of course it had nothing to do with those "several six packs", by any means...:D:D

Good story. Yup, I bet that happens only....once...

cat in the hat
10-17-2013, 08:44
Chalk it up to the onset of Oldtimers disease;) .

or a relapse of young and dumb disease.

x SF med
10-17-2013, 10:10
ETOH combined with CRS... not good... not good at all... Luckily all of the CG people were on furlough at the time. :p:eek:

Tress
10-17-2013, 19:46
Back in the mid 90's, on the day of my father's funeral, I was to drive my mother's new car to the church. It was a Saturn with an automatic transmission.

Everyone one else had already left the house and there I was trying to start this Saturn and it would not start. Made sure it was in "park" turned the key and it would do nothing. Checked battery cables and anything else I could think of. It still would not start.

I was late for the funeral and just called the dealership asking for the manager as she was a friend of mine. After a moment or two of talking to her she asked me if I was depressing the break while trying to start the car.

How was I supposed to know that this was a new safety feature built into automatic transmission vehicles? I only drove stick or much older automatics and thought that having it in "park" was more than adequate.

So, yeah, not the same exact situation, but just as embarrassing. My friend at the dealership still harangues me about that to this day.

Tress

1stindoor
10-18-2013, 13:11
Anyone ever did something like this before?? :D

BMT

Not quite, but once I took a friend fishing for the first time in my boat (Nitro 911 CDC) and spent an hour trying to get the boat to start only to realize that my friend had accidently knocked loose the kill switch.:D

Trapper John
10-18-2013, 13:48
Ahhh foibles - they make us angry as hell at the time, but they make the best stories later. :D

Thanks for sharing that one Bro!

T-Rock
10-18-2013, 23:26
I can relate Sir... But at least you didn't do this...lol :D

The guy was toe up from the flo up... Came in at the speed of sound in the no wake zone while we were putting our boat in the water to inspect some bridges.
Buddy lets him off, and when he gets in his truck to pull out his boat, proceeds to doing doughnuts in the parking lot, tires a screechin...

When his buddy pulled the boat onto his trailer, he decided to spin out up the ramp, only problem...., he had it in reverse....lol

Our dive team took pity on him after he cried, and salvaged his truck...lol

Stobey
10-19-2013, 03:09
Our dive team took pity on him after he cried, and salvaged his truck...lol

That was awfully nice of you guys. (How long did it take you to stop laughing?) :D

T-Rock
10-19-2013, 20:16
. (How long did it take you to stop laughing?)

We couldn't help but snicker the whole time, even as the ford was being hoisted on the wrecker :D