PDA

View Full Version : Water Filters??

JJ_BPK
10-16-2013, 08:24
I got a trash email from one of the sports venders I like. Front page was an add for a Life Straw.

http://www.rtba.co/life-straw/

Looks like it might be a handy item for my car first aide kit.

Any pros or cons or alternate brands.

Thanks

Dusty
10-16-2013, 08:53
I've got the Sawyer system. Not as easy as a straw, but the volume is pretty good. I've gotta get water for three people.

Supposedly, you can filter water no matter how germy or filthy it is...

Barbarian
10-16-2013, 09:07
They work for most bugs excepting viruses, but like any filter, they clog fast if you don't pre-strain. They don't last long if you drink straight from the water source, like in the photos. Pretty good deal for the money though.

tonyz
10-16-2013, 09:11
FWIW, I throw a Lifestraw in pack as backup to MSR filter - light and seems like cheap insurance. I also keep one in the truck.

Have not used one yet - but Googled write ups before purchase - seemed worth the $20.

PSM
10-16-2013, 09:58
I've got the Sawyer system. Not as easy as a straw, but the volume is pretty good. I've gotta get water for three people.

Supposedly, you can filter water no matter how germy or filthy it is...

This is what I use, too. Supposedly the filter part (not much bigger than the straws) can be attached to a regular store-bought water bottle, but I have not found one that it fits. I've read that they fit on the Platypus bottles, though.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=437627&postcount=11

Pat

Golf1echo
10-17-2013, 09:14
FWIW, I throw a Lifestraw in pack as backup to MSR filter - light and seems like cheap insurance. I also keep one in the truck.

Have not used one yet - but Googled write ups before purchase - seemed worth the $20.

I am big on the MSR systems as well. While not as compact as a straw the pump filter is fairly compact and light compared with others, it screws directly to a dromedary bag or other large mouth opening eliminating concerns at that end when using, a 10 liter D Bag and shower kit gives a user nearly 5 minutes of shower which can be solar heated or pour hot water in ( probably better to pour boiling water into some cold ), it also can be used as a bladder, and can be used as a warming device in a small shelter or sleeping system. The water bags do come in different sizes and weights. This is great for kayaking as the bags placed in the bottom of the boat adds stability and weight. A coffee filter can be wrapped around the intake as a pre filter.

As a side note: it is my understanding that there are no filtration devices YET that can effectively filter hormones and medicines, keep that in mind if you at the bottom of a water shed.

FlagDayNCO
10-17-2013, 10:58
Anyone have any comments about shelf life or storage concerns for any of the mentioned systems? I have a pump system kept in my personal truck, never used, approaching ten years old.

At the price of the Straws, it makes good insurance sense.

MR2
10-17-2013, 11:04
Anyone have any comments about shelf life or storage concerns for any of the mentioned systems? I have a pump system kept in my personal truck, never used, approaching ten years old.

Might want to inspect the seals for disintegration/degradation. May need to replace the O-rings or lube w silicone. Check MFG. site first.

PSM
10-17-2013, 11:20

On the Sawyer web site they say this about my Squeeze System: "Life Expectancy: 1 Million Gallons Guaranteed." I doubt that I've put 5 gallons through it since I got it.

There's not much to the maintenance beyond back-washing and, probably, replacing the washer and squeeze bags.

http://www.sawyer.com/video-squeeze.html

Pat

Requiem
10-17-2013, 15:09
Pros: Lightweight, easy to use, no batteries or moving parts.

Cons: A straw? You're only getting clean water as you need it, by sucking it into your mouth. No clean water stored for later use, or that can be used in other ways, such as mixing water with milk/nutrition powders.

This past summer we used a SteriPen (http://www.steripen.com/ultraviolet-light/) on a camping trip in Kodiak. The device was fast and simple to use. But it takes batteries to operate - a big drawback. It has a pre-filter for water with sediment.

In past years we've used a Sawyer, some tubing, a bucket, and a water bag to filter large amounts of water by gravity. (We got that idea here at PS.Com) Works brilliantly for a family of four, though it isn't something you'd want to carry around. :)

Susan

Cake_14N
10-18-2013, 07:38
I use one (SteriPen) as well after I filter with my Katadyn Pocket filter. I had 2 other Katadyn Hikers break on the trail, both had plastic connectors at the base, both broke right there. Decided to splurge on the Pocket filter as it is all metal. Should last me the rest of my life.

My SteriPen is the new one, the Freedom. It has an internal battery that I can charge with either my GoalZero solar system or with my Biolite Stove. It also has an LED light just in case. I also make sure I only use wide-mouth water bottles that the SteriPen will fit inside so I can treat the water much easier.

Between these two systems and a 5-gallon igloo water cooler I am pretty much set for water when I hike and camp.

I am not sure exactly how long the battery will last, but the lamp itself is rated for 8,000 uses.

Cake

FlagDayNCO
10-18-2013, 08:59
Thanks for the replies. The pump I have in the truck is still good to go, but like everything else, I was interested to see what has been brought to market since.

Sawyer definitely has a good system and I think having a couple of options is not a bad idea. It is also compact enough to go into a go bag.

The Reaper
04-22-2014, 18:45
I use the Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System, and then put the drinking water into a Berkey Sport Water Bottle, if it needs a little more cleaning.

The Berkey uses activated charcoal in its filter, which will remove chemicals like chlorine, heavy metals, and improve the taste.

TR

Flagg
04-22-2014, 19:24
We've got a Katadyn Combi for family camping/emergencies and some Katadyn Minis for BOB and my pack/ruck for in the field.

Found them to be pretty solid…no problems.

The price of Berkeys down here is pretty steep….haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I guess you only pay for quality once by the sounds of things.

The Reaper
04-22-2014, 20:09
We've got a Katadyn Combi for family camping/emergencies and some Katadyn Minis for BOB and my pack/ruck for in the field.

Found them to be pretty solid…no problems.

The price of Berkeys down here is pretty steep….haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I guess you only pay for quality once by the sounds of things.

I cannot believe that some one with a Katadyn is complaining about the cost of the Berkeys. :D

The Sawyer Mini is around $20 and so is the Berkey Sport Bottle.

Pretty good deal, considering the tiny size, light weight, and extremely long lifespan of the Sawyer.

TR

Flagg
04-22-2014, 22:09
I cannot believe that some one with a Katadyn is complainign about the cost of the Berkeys. :D

Pretty good deal, considering the tiny size, light weight, and extremely long lifespan of the Sawyer.

TR

Yeah......especially when you compare actual daily use/value of Berkey rather than mostly "insurance" value(bar field use) of our Katadyns.

They should offer you a Berkey distributorship for South West Pacific....ever consider a career in sales?

Haven't heard of Sawyer....I will have to look them up.

Gold Eagle
04-23-2014, 07:46
I don't know this gentleman's credentials, but sure sounds good!

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2013/05/02/3rd-world-travel-gear-katadyn-combi-water-filter-review/

Barbarian
04-23-2014, 11:21

I just happen to be in the market for a new hiking filter. The Sawyer Mini seems impressive and for only $20, I can't not try it out. Thank you for the tip.