PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional leader stuck in a Conventional leadeship

blackhornet
10-16-2013, 04:41
Currently in the Reserve Component (RC) 10+Yrs service, 1LT (LOG) presently in Afghanistan, as a DET CDR, cultural advisor... BLUF: "A WAY not THE WAY"... I'm interested in transferring into AC SFG that has a slot for LOGI's, establish myself... WHY? The end state is to earn the opportunity to go through the pipeline. Utilize my previous background experiences with unconventional leaders who can appreciate Jr. Leaders that can easily adapt in a constantly changing environment, and get positive results.

Feedback welcome?

Pete
10-16-2013, 05:18
The last intro thread was started 02/2012.

Stats show you joined in 10/2012.

Your post count shows "1".

MR2
10-16-2013, 05:44
No Intro post is quite Unconventional but alas all too Common.

TrapperFrank
10-16-2013, 09:44
LT, if you want to join the community, ya gotta learn to follow directions...just my 2 cents.

sinjefe
10-16-2013, 10:06
So you live in Georgia and Alabama? How's that work?

blackhornet
10-20-2013, 13:38
The last intro thread was started 02/2012.

Stats show you joined in 10/2012.

Your post count shows "1".

Correct Pete, it is odd the dates are backwards. And the "post count shows "1" was a deliberate decision on my part. I choose to research and absorb the content in this forum, as it is very informative and beneficial. As a result almost a year to date my time can be successfully accounted for. Time well spent by improving my professional military education (PME) and advance civilian education.
P.S. My absence doesn't mean I'm not present, it simply means I'm observing, and in a constant state of preparation.

Pete
10-20-2013, 13:45
Your Post Count now shows "2"

blackhornet
10-20-2013, 13:58

By no means am I trying come over as a wise guy, by my response. It does work if you have access to residence in both states and pay property taxes, why not claim it. Besides if the opportunity arise i.e. say from this forum in either or neighboring states it shows accessibility. And now I'm deployed ;)

MR2
10-20-2013, 13:59
Would you like to borrow my can of wasp spray Pete?

SF_BHT
10-20-2013, 14:23

By no means am I trying come over as a wise guy, by my response. It does work if you have access to residence in both states and pay property taxes, why not claim it. Besides if the opportunity arise i.e. say from this forum in either or neighboring states it shows accessibility. And now I'm deployed ;)

Well let's make it clear. Post an intro and do not post again until you do it.

blue02hd
10-21-2013, 00:35
"Currently: 1LT (LOG) presently in Afghanistan, as a DET CDR, cultural advisor... BLUF: "A WAY not THE WAY""

Well CDR, I'm curious how much cultural advice do you actually provide? Is this a new position for a Loggie? As a reservist LT, who would you advise? Make sure you add that to your resume, and then head to SFAS like the rest of the CDR's in SF did.

If you are looking for a "hookup" here, then you should be more specific with your posts. I am not sure how readily the LOG assigned personnel here will receive your request, but I may have an idea of how the HHC CDR's, 1SG's, and contractors who manage Logistical RFF's may respond.

I would say initially that for you to reach your goal, this is not "THE WAY".

Just curious, but you defined yourself as an "Unconventional Leader" who is "Stuck". What makes you unconventional? Stuck how? Your post actually leaves us more questions than answers. After reading and preparing to post on this site for over a year, I find it curious.

Feedback welcome.

EDITED to ADD: After you follow the instructions that you have already received form the Mentors, Admins, and Moderators of this site.

spottedmedic111
10-23-2013, 09:43
My advice is to train for selection from where you are and not try to seek advantage by working out of group, you don't need to "earn an opportunity". If you're qualified you get to try. If not, group experience won't help you. In fact, you risk a lousy reputation haunting you later.

Your biggest disadvantage is your percieved advanced experience. No one will be impressed if you express it, just keep it to yourself and use it if you in fact have any. I guarantee SF isn't what you think it is, so approach it with an open mind.

As always follow the rules or you won't get far.

blackhornet
10-28-2013, 02:23
My advice is to train for selection from where you are and not try to seek advantage by working out of group, you don't need to "earn an opportunity". If you're qualified you get to try. If not, group experience won't help you. In fact, you risk a lousy reputation haunting you later.

Your biggest disadvantage is your percieved advanced experience. No one will be impressed if you express it, just keep it to yourself and use it if you in fact have any. I guarantee SF isn't what you think it is, so approach it with an open mind.

As always follow the rules or you won't get far.

spottedmedic,
Your advice is heeded.

blackhornet
10-28-2013, 02:42
"Currently: 1LT (LOG) presently in Afghanistan, as a DET CDR, cultural advisor... BLUF: "A WAY not THE WAY""

Well CDR, I'm curious how much cultural advice do you actually provide? Is this a new position for a Loggie? As a reservist LT, who would you advise? Make sure you add that to your resume, and then head to SFAS like the rest of the CDR's in SF did.

If you are looking for a "hookup" here, then you should be more specific with your posts. I am not sure how readily the LOG assigned personnel here will receive your request, but I may have an idea of how the HHC CDR's, 1SG's, and contractors who manage Logistical RFF's may respond.

I would say initially that for you to reach your goal, this is not "THE WAY".

Just curious, but you defined yourself as an "Unconventional Leader" who is "Stuck". What makes you unconventional? Stuck how? Your post actually leaves us more questions than answers. After reading and preparing to post on this site for over a year, I find it curious.

Feedback welcome.

EDITED to ADD: After you follow the instructions that you have already received form the Mentors, Admins, and Moderators of this site.

Rgr. Correction made

WarriorDiplomat
04-21-2014, 13:36
Currently in the Reserve Component (RC) 10+Yrs service, 1LT (LOG) presently in Afghanistan, as a DET CDR, cultural advisor... BLUF: "A WAY not THE WAY"... I'm interested in transferring into AC SFG that has a slot for LOGI's, establish myself... WHY? The end state is to earn the opportunity to go through the pipeline. Utilize my previous background experiences with unconventional leaders who can appreciate Jr. Leaders that can easily adapt in a constantly changing environment, and get positive results.

Feedback welcome?

I would be curious of what you consider unconventional?? the definition I got from your post is the same one used by everyone not familiar with true UW.

blackhornet
04-22-2014, 08:59
WarriorDiplomat, in other words the common sense approach to solving problems. i.e. a degree doesn't make anyone eduacted. I'm not implying I know everything I'm learning everyday. That said, the experience gained from working w/ Afghans has taught me how to adapt IOT solve and/or prevent problems. But it seems some strategic level unconvetional (common sense, simple approach) thinking is lost to some degree. I hope this helps

WarriorDiplomat
04-22-2014, 10:40
WarriorDiplomat, in other words the common sense approach to solving problems. i.e. a degree doesn't make anyone eduacted. I'm not implying I know everything I'm learning everyday. That said, the experience gained from working w/ Afghans has taught me how to adapt IOT solve and/or prevent problems. But it seems some strategic level unconvetional (common sense, simple approach) thinking is lost to some degree. I hope this helps

OK I understand your thinking and I agree you are definitely on the right track not doubting your intent just checking your comprehension. BTW the 18A field is super competitive their have been O's who have graduated the Q and then sent back to Big Army without serving a day in SF. Be aware that this is the current sitrep so if you drop a packet you need to be towards the top of the pack in training and with us that means in every area. Even though some areas will seem ambiguous the cadre know what to look for.

blackhornet
04-23-2014, 07:03
WarriorDiplomat: I appreciate the candid advice and future dialogue. I've been training daily (mentally). While @ BOLC I made the cut off for Ranger School but due to my component Reserve it was not possible, "Delayed but not denied" I remain focus and engaged (training). "So what" you might say... It's a vocation, knowing you can contribute to something far greater and can have value added to others, is a great feeling. As a LOGI in Afghan just to see others benefitted as result of the work (negotiation, dialogue, relationship building, and procurement) that was done behind the scene was enough for me to say a difference was made mission accomplished. While at the same time it's an ongoing commitment, (Reset, but never power off).

I'm not looking to be praised, rewarded for making it into SF, nor will I be disappointed if I don't. The key for me is the willingness to follow through, learn, seek advice, Knowledge and mentorship from SME in SF/this community. b/c I know after it's all said and done I can say I gave it my ALL mentally and physically. The Cadre will be the judge "Pass of Fail".

WarriorDiplomat
04-25-2014, 17:52
WarriorDiplomat: I appreciate the candid advice and future dialogue. I've been training daily (mentally). While @ BOLC I made the cut off for Ranger School but due to my component Reserve it was not possible, "Delayed but not denied" I remain focus and engaged (training). "So what" you might say... It's a vocation, knowing you can contribute to something far greater and can have value added to others, is a great feeling. As a LOGI in Afghan just to see others benefitted as result of the work (negotiation, dialogue, relationship building, and procurement) that was done behind the scene was enough for me to say a difference was made mission accomplished. While at the same time it's an ongoing commitment, (Reset, but never power off).

I'm not looking to be praised, rewarded for making it into SF, nor will I be disappointed if I don't. The key for me is the willingness to follow through, learn, seek advice, Knowledge and mentorship from SME in SF/this community. b/c I know after it's all said and done I can say I gave it my ALL mentally and physically. The Cadre will be the judge "Pass of Fail".

There are some who join for the bragging rights, fringe benefits and what not. Most realize in training and after there first deployment most of your career is in far away places in living in anomynity. Everyone is driven to join for personal reasons but what brings all of us together is the mission this is where all our differences reconcile. The reward is personal the life style we live is more a calling just like a teacher or a preacher the bug bites you or it doesnt it isnt for everyone. But the only way you will know is to do it and find out if its for you. Few get bit for the long haul and some sre 1 or 2 tour guys no shame in that

blackhornet
04-26-2014, 09:04
WarriorDiplomat: you speak the truth on "mission" and purpose... some conventional SM are forgetting it's Mission not Emotions. I've also witnessed and experienced emotional and personal differences divided a team/unit. This disturbs me and it's one of my pet-peeve, instead of synergizing what needs to be done IOT accomplish the mission as a team...

I've experienced how important the mission is when it hit home in theatre... after I read some of the narratives on a member of the "team" who received "HPH" for their actions... and what that member sacrificed, the families and team mates. The support is like no other, this is another attribute I value about the community its a "Community"... I sat for two days thinking about the impact it had on the team... the void...how do you recover... the mission, I still think about that to this day...

Should selection be competitive hell yeah, and should it remain selective, this is serious business. The enemy operates w/o rules, selection has rules and what else comes with selection determines if the team lives or dies. My take away, accomplishing the mission as one unit, successfully and never focus about an individual accomplishment, or emotional reasons. I say this Warrior Diplomat... the experience in theatre has thought me humility, tactical patience and hollistic team effort. The results from your work within a team is enough to speak about an individual character.

Thanx for the healthy discussion I can decompress...

Kasik
04-26-2014, 09:45
Don't talk about it -

Just do it -

:munchin

blackhornet
04-26-2014, 13:50
@ Kasik I will.