PDA

View Full Version : Best of the Best/Field and Stream

Gypsy
11-19-2004, 22:43
Well well well! Look what I found! Oh MR HARSEYYYYYYYYY! Congrats and kudos to you! (I hope that although I divulged this, your invite still stands! :D )

(I couldn't upload the picture as it is a .bmp on the site...not uber-geek enough to convert to a jpg)

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/gearingup/bestof/article/0,13199,784705,00.html

Lone Wolf Knives Harsey Tactical Ranger Folder

Folding knives occupy less space than fixed-blade models and are safer to carry. But many lack the size and heft to do outdoor jobs well. Not this one: Designer Bill Harsey’s knife can do just about anything a sheath knife will. The Tactical Ranger Folder is one of those rare designs that is just about impossible to improve upon. Its handle is a marvel of ergonomics, made of glass-filled nylon with titanium liners. The 4.8-inch drop-point blade is formed out of a high-carbon stainless steel that, unlike most stainless steels, sharpens very easily. The hinge is huge; the blade is held open by a standard liner lock.

The Reaper
11-19-2004, 22:58
Well done, Little Billy, Junior!!

Heck of a knife, I love mine!

TR

Team Sergeant
11-20-2004, 08:17
Best of the Best!!

Well done Mr. Harsey, Well done indeed!

TS

Bill Harsey
11-20-2004, 09:19
Ms. Gypsy, Thanks.

This is the seventh annual Field and Stream "Best of the Best" awards. They pick one knife from the entire international cutlery manufacturing industry for the award in this category. I haven't even seen the magazine yet but it is the December 2004 issue of Field and Stream magazine.

This is a big deal for Lone Wolf Knives and myself. Special Thanks to the guys and girls at Lone Wolf for making this project happen based on my prototypes. They are doing a great job and I'm sure proud of them.

vsvo
11-20-2004, 09:30
Congratulations Mr. Harsey!

Sacamuelas
11-20-2004, 09:30
Congrats Bill. :lifter

Razor
11-20-2004, 09:51
Congrats Mr. H!

Surgicalcric
11-20-2004, 12:38
Congrats Sir.

Sigi
11-20-2004, 12:46
Outstanding, Mr. Harsey.

The Reaper
11-20-2004, 13:20
Well well well! Look what I found! Oh MR HARSEYYYYYYYYY! Congrats and kudos to you! (I hope that although I divulged this, your invite still stands! :D )

(I couldn't upload the picture as it is a .bmp on the site...not uber-geek enough to convert to a jpg)

It looks a lot like this one, minus the camo....

TR

Ambush Master
11-20-2004, 13:41
Hats off to ya sir !! Congrats!!!! Page 124 if you don't want to look for it !! Came in the mail about 15 minutes ago !!

alphamale
11-20-2004, 16:25
Mr. Harsey, that ROCKS! :lifter

What are you going to do now? (Disney World? :munchin )

FrontSight

Kyobanim
11-20-2004, 16:29
Congrats!

Smokin Joe
11-20-2004, 17:17
Well Done Mr. Harsey that is an amazing accomplishment.

Achilles
11-20-2004, 18:01
Congratulations Mr. Harsey. You deserve it!

Goggles Pizano
11-20-2004, 18:27
Congratulations Sir!

Looks like my Christmas list is growing!

ghuinness
11-20-2004, 19:06
Congratulations Mr. Harsey!

Huey14
11-20-2004, 19:14
Well done mate!

gk404
11-20-2004, 20:19
Well done Mr Harsey. Congratulations!

Gypsy
11-20-2004, 22:33
It looks a lot like this one, minus the camo....

TR

Yes Sir, yours is a much better photo in comparison to the one in the article, what with the libation and all. :D

You're quite welcome Mr. Harsey.

lrd
11-21-2004, 16:56
Congratulations, Bill!

shadowflyer
11-22-2004, 14:20
Congratulations Bill.

Another great Harsey knife. So many good knives ...so little money....sigh.

Congrats on a job well done. I cant wait to see what new things you are bringing to Blade 2005. I hope I am still in CONUS so I can attend.

JJ

Roguish Lawyer
11-22-2004, 14:40
Congrats, Bill!

Endorphin Rush
11-22-2004, 22:15
Congratulations, Mr. Harsey.

I think I just found my new hunting folder.

stschmidt
11-23-2004, 00:32
Congratulations Mr. Harsey. Well done and well deserved!

Roycroft201
11-23-2004, 10:59
Terrific ! Congratulations, Mr. Harsey !

CPTAUSRET
11-23-2004, 11:34
OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations, Bill...A well deserved honor.

Terry

Bill Harsey
11-29-2004, 13:07
Thanks all you folks for the kind words here.

I found the series of prototype patterns I made for this knife and one of the drawings. The clear patterns are plexi-glass and are 1:1 scale. The steel pattern is fully hardened and used as a master template to locate both profile and hole centers with. When I do the pre-patterns I use actual size bores so i can make precise hardware sizes on the lathe. This is important for folders.

edited to add, the bottom plastic pattern is Lexan and is my final pattern. Note the never made (yet) clip point blade in the drawing.

CPTAUSRET
11-29-2004, 13:13
Thanks all you folks for the kind words here.

I found the series of prototype patterns I made for this knife and one of the drawings. The clear patterns are plexi-glass and are 1:1 scale. The steel pattern is fully hardened and used as a master template to locate both profile and hole centers with. When I do the pre-patterns I use actual size bores so i can make precise hardware sizes on the lathe. This is important for folders.

edited to add, the bottom plastic pattern is Lexan and is my final pattern. Note the never made (yet) clip point blade in the drawing.

That's impressive, especially for a Neanderthal knifemaker! ;)

Terry

Bill Harsey
11-29-2004, 14:36
Thank ya Terry,

I've always thought those Neanderthals were very underestimated by "modern science".

I'm not sure they'd have made good helo pilots (until they found out you could hunt from them) but I know they did some things very well, like stay alive in adverse conditions.

CPTAUSRET
11-29-2004, 14:56
Thank ya Terry,

I've always thought those Neanderthals were very underestimated by "modern science".

I'm not sure they'd have made good helo pilots (until they found out you could hunt from them) but I know they did some things very well, like stay alive in adverse conditions.

Bill:

Seeing as my wife represents modern science pretty well, it would be nice if we could all get together, share a bottle or two of something and tell war stories.

Terry

alphamale
11-29-2004, 15:03
That's impressive, especially for a Neanderthal knifemaker! ;) Hey, Mr. Harsey is not a Neanderthal! :mad:

He is a New-Age Rennaisance Man of the 21st Century whose rule-sets even allow for femmes making car repairs with duct-tape!! Can't get much more chic than that! :D

FrontSight

CPTAUSRET
11-29-2004, 16:07
Hey, Mr. Harsey is not a Neanderthal! :mad:

He is a New-Age Rennaisance Man of the 21st Century whose rule-sets even allow for femmes making car repairs with duct-tape!! Can't get much more chic than that! :D

FrontSight

Nioce of you to come to his defense, but "Neanderthal" comes from a private joke between Bill and me.

Terry

alphamale
11-29-2004, 20:32
He tells me he's a Neanderthal too (perhaps different context, but have heard him utter the word on occasion.)

I tell him he just likes making self-deprecating comments :cool:

(Terry, my usage of :mad: followed by a :D meant just ::stern glare::, not that I was really mad because you called Mr. Harsey a Neanderthal. I figure that, somehow, both he and TS have made it through life without me being around to protect them. I don't know how they've done it, but.... :)

FrontSight

alphamale
11-30-2004, 00:01
Helloooo Mr. Best of the Best, :D

Please remind me to never mention to you, while riding in the car with my BF and The Shipping Associate, that I would be heading across the pond when I haven't yet completely informed my BF of this...

:: ouch ::

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
11-30-2004, 07:40
Bill:

Seeing as my wife represents modern science pretty well, it would be nice if we could all get together, share a bottle or two of something and tell war stories.

Terry
I would enjoy that. I'll bring the flint to make the fire with.

Bill Harsey
11-30-2004, 07:45
He tells me he's a Neanderthal too (perhaps different context, but have heard him utter the word on occasion.)

I tell him he just likes making self-deprecating comments :cool:

(Terry, my usage of :mad: followed by a :D meant just ::stern glare::, not that I was really mad because you called Mr. Harsey a Neanderthal. I figure that, somehow, both he and TS have made it through life without me being around to protect them. I don't know how they've done it, but.... :)

FrontSight
I also have no idea how both the Team Sergeant and I made it this far without FrontSight around to protect us.
How did I ever make a knife without her...

CPTAUSRET
11-30-2004, 09:48
I would enjoy that. I'll bring the flint to make the fire with.
Sounds good, war stories around the fire.

Terry

Bill Harsey
11-30-2004, 10:30
Thanks Terry, this will happen.

For the rest, a very short overview of Neanderthals.

They built complex shelters and could control fire. They hunted up close and personal. Their brains were 10% larger than modern mans (and FrontSights) and they had body strength like modern weightlifters. They didn't have a terribly sophisticated tool kit, no stone projectile points that we associate with spears and certainly before the time of the bow and arrow.
Neanderthal skeletons show much evidence of arthritis. Here's an observation of mine about that stuff. It comes from working hard even after your injured. This means that the Neanderthal was tough enough to hunt game with stone axes by running it down and thumping it NDD style and kept doing it even after they got hurt because that was better than going hungry.

Some scientists don't think that the Neanderthal added to the modern human gene pool but were a dead end branch of the human evolution tree.

Some French anthropologists think that Neanderthal man simply migrated to and live to this day in the region known as Ireland.

I still have living relatives in Ireland.

CPTAUSRET
11-30-2004, 11:01
Thanks Terry, this will happen.

For the rest, a very short overview of Neanderthals.

They built complex shelters and could control fire. They hunted up close and personal. Their brains were 10% larger than modern mans (and FrontSights) and they had body strength like modern weightlifters. They didn't have a terribly sophisticated tool kit, no stone projectile points that we associate with spears and certainly before the time of the bow and arrow.
Neanderthal skeletons show much evidence of arthritis. Here's an observation of mine about that stuff. It comes from working hard even after your injured. This means that the Neanderthal was tough enough to hunt game with stone axes by running it down and thumping it NDD style and kept doing it even after they got hurt because that was better than going hungry.

Some scientists don't think that the Neanderthal added to the modern human gene pool but were a dead end branch of the human evolution tree.

Some French anthropologists think that Neanderthal man simply migrated to and live to this day in the region known as Ireland.

I still have living relatives in Ireland.

Bill:

As to their (Neanderthal) brain being 10% larger than modern mans, I was not aware of that data. As to whether your brain, my brain, male brains in general are larger than Frontsights, that evidence is clear...It is widely presumed that we have larger brains, thus more brain cells than females because we have a (generally) larger skeletal mass, and it takes greater brainpower (ie a larger computer) to run/manage a larger engine.

Terry

Bill Harsey
11-30-2004, 15:24
The 10% brain thing is real science, I'll have to find my reference.

Big Engine, Big Brain!
I like that.