PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Gets a Ticket, UK Media Goes Wild

Dusty
10-15-2013, 17:12
Schadenfreude and a biscuit, anyone? :D
http://news.yahoo.com/hillary-gets-a-ticket--uk-media-goes-wild-191443389.html

It didn't matter to one London parking enforcement officer that some think Hillary Clinton could be a future American president -- illegal parking is illegal parking.

So despite protests from Clinton's security detail, the undeterred traffic warden (as they're called across the pond) slapped Clinton's silver Mercedes Benz sedan with the equivalent of a $127.00 ticket on Friday while the former secretary of state was being honored for her diplomatic work.

All her minders had to do as they waited outside Chatham House was go buy a parking pass for a measly £3.30 per hour (about US $5.27).

A report posted on Tuesday on the website of London's Daily Mail shows photos of what it called the "extraordinary moment" Clinton’s car was slapped with the citation, roughly 45 minutes after arriving. What followed was an animated conversation between members of her security detail and the parking attendant, who calmly maintained a look of “Hillary who?” throughout, reported the paper.

Clearly, this was not his first time dealing with a less-than-pleased parking ticket recipient.

Greg Brennan, the photographer who witnessed the scene, also reported that at least one of Clinton’s security agents was seen “angrily waving his arms” and showing the attendant his badge.

Still, the fine was issued.

“Despite our traffic marshal being questioned by the secret service for just doing his job, he was in the right,” Councillor Daniel Astaire, the local city council member for business, told the The Daily Mail. “The former US Secretary of State was parked for nearly 45 minutes without paying. I’m sure she will understand that we have to be fair to everyone, regardless of their status on the world stage.”

While the confrontation played out in the parking lot, Clinton was busy chatting with other dignitaries about the U.S.’s relationship with Iran and the ongoing conflict in Syria as she was honored with the Chatham House Prize.

If you're wondering why this seems to have risen to international incident, it's likely because the U.S. tops Britain's list of parking scofflaws.

The Mail reports that foreign embassies in London have tallied up the equivalent of $112 million in unpaid fines over 10 years, with the U.S. accounting for $12 million of that.

Snip

Gypsy
10-15-2013, 17:59
“Despite our traffic marshal being questioned by the secret service for just doing his job, he was in the right,” Councillor Daniel Astaire, the local city council member for business, told the The Daily Mail. “The former US Secretary of State was parked for nearly 45 minutes without paying. I’m sure she will understand that we have to be fair to everyone, regardless of their status on the world stage.”

Snip

Good for him!

ddoering
10-15-2013, 19:35
She doesn't have diplomatic crap on this trip. Just a dumb bitch on a vacation. Pay the ticket Hillary.

Richard
10-15-2013, 19:38
Meh.

As far as embassies and such affairs, it varies greatly depending upon who the ambassador may be. For example, the Ambassador to the FRG when I was at the AmEmbassy-Bonn was Vernon Walters, a retired LTG who was Ike's personal interpreter in WW2, a former head of the DIA, DDCI and interim DCI, and a former ambassador to the UN. His guidance to all - DOS, DOD, CIA, FBI, DEA, etc - was that if you got a fine, you paid it or else he was gonna end your career.

He was a great man to work for. RIP, Sir.

Richard

ghp95134
10-16-2013, 00:19
Why would the security detail make such a big deal out of the ticket being issued anyway? It's not like he had the car towed away or something and there was nothing the security detail could do.

The security detail obviously did not have an interpreter on hand. I needed one when I lived in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and north of Hadrian's Wall ... and Cockney is much harder to understand than Geordie or Scots.

tonyz
10-16-2013, 06:59
The security detail obviously did not have an interpreter on hand. I needed one when I lived in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and north of Hadrian's Wall ... and Cockney is much harder to understand than Geordie or Scots.

They should be thankful it was not Scouse...but then the car might have gone missing...:D

ddoering
10-16-2013, 07:06
Meh.

As far as embassies and such affairs, it varies greatly depending upon who the ambassador may be. For example, the Ambassador to the FRG when I was at the AmEmbassy-Bonn was Vernon Walters, a retired LTG who was Ike's personal interpreter in WW2, a former head of the DIA, DDCI and interim DCI, and a former ambassador to the UN. His guidance to all - DOS, DOD, CIA, FBI, DEA, etc - was that if you got a fine, you paid it or else he was gonna end your career.

He was a great man to work for. RIP, Sir.

Richard

You are correct, he was a great man. I had to drive him around in Berlin a couple of times. He actually treated me like a human being.

Oldrotorhead
10-16-2013, 08:37
She doesn't have diplomatic crap on this trip. Just a dumb bitch on a vacation. Pay the ticket Hillary.

^^^ THIS

10 person security team is something near a million dollars a year before expenses and on top of that they act like dick heads and expect local LE to waive enforcement because she is " special" ? Oh where, oh where is a Frence style revolution when we need one? If just one of them had the intelligence to pay for parking and expense it there would have been no public show of stupidity.

Don't mind me I'll go back to Fly Over Country now!

Oldrotorhead
10-16-2013, 10:33
So let me get this straight, the security detail is the Secret Service and they act like "dick heads?" I thought the Secret Service were supposed to be very professional :confused:

Check the photos yourself. Another point. How many SS Agents does it take to watch the cars? Don't ask OPSEC you know!:rolleyes:

I guess the cream of the crop isn't guarding has been politicians wives. The good agents are looking for counterfitters.

Divemaster
10-16-2013, 11:56
A former FLOTUS who is now a private citizen gets a Secret Service detail? I know her cover husband gets one, but really?

JHD
10-16-2013, 12:04
A former FLOTUS who is now a private citizen gets a Secret Service detail? I know her cover husband gets one, but really?

Yes, used to be for lifetime, but now it is limited to 10 years after the POTUS is out of office.