PDA

View Full Version : 37 PSR Gun Club - Long Range Precision Rifle Course AAR

mconneway
10-14-2013, 08:20
I took this course at 37 PSR in Bunnlevel, NC this past Saturday (12 OCT). I thought it was a great introduction to long range shooting and well worth the money. I was looking for a quick course I could take without spending a lot of money on new gear just to see if I want to progress into long range precision shooting as a hobby. I brought my AR-15 with an EoTech EXPS-2 and G33 3x magnifier, along with some 62gr 5.56 I got from Dixie Ammo. I've never really shot beyond 300m, and by the end of the day I was hitting LaRue's and E-types at 600yds with no difficulty whatsoever. Here is a description of the course, pasted from their website:

One Day Intro to Long Range Precision Rifle Course ($250)

The course consists of introductory instruction on marksmanship fundamentals, using telescopic sights in Long Range Shooting, unknown distance shooting, ballistics and practical Target engagement. The course will begin in the classroom with learning the fundamentals in use of rifles and other gear for the Long Range shooter to maximize his or hers accuracy in the least amount of time. You will need to have your own rifle and scope with reticle and have it correctly mounted before this course begins. You will learn your D.O.P.E. for your rifle at distances out to 600 yds and more. This is not a Sniper Course and no field craft will be taught. (that Comes Later). The course begins with proper zero of your rifle at 100yds and then into the classroom for the math and theory of Long Range shooting. Once classroom learning is over we will head out to the long range and begin shooting. So come prepared for the weather and enjoy the day. This course will not be rained out!

The primary instructor was Chad Resnik from Tactical Suppressed Weapons, and the AI was Frankie McRae, owner of 37 PSR. Both are highly knowledgeable in the subject area and very candid in their approach to the instruction. You will learn some math in the course, so come prepared to spend a few hours in the classroom. I definitely recommend this course if you are new to long range precision shooting, and ESPECIALLY before you go out and spend a bunch of money on hardware. Even if you don't have a rifle you can even rent one for the course from them if you call ahead and coordinate it. A course like this can keep you from spending a lot of money on junk optics and accessories if you don't really know what you're doing. They are also sell Bushnell and Leupold, and carry a full line of rifle scopes, spotting scopes, and accessories at pretty good prices.

You can check them out at http://www.range37.com/