PDA

View Full Version : Laramie military family seeks exception to abandoned vehicle law

Pete
10-13-2013, 07:56
Laramie military family seeks exception to abandoned vehicle law

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/laramie-military-family-seeks-exception-to-abandoned-vehicle-law/article_344070de-e437-5809-aafc-0e7e6b1e2070.html

"LARAMIE -- A Laramie man asked the Laramie City Council to consider amending the abandoned vehicle ordinance after a car owned by his son serving overseas was twice ordered removed from in front of their home.

The car, a 1967 Ford Fairlane, belongs to National Guard Senior Airman John Scott Ysebaert, who returned last week from his second tour abroad. He also served an active duty tour in Iraq for the U.S. Army......"

If you start to read the story it appears to be the City picking on a poor GI - but then you realize just what the family and individual did.

He deployed, parking the car in front of his folks house, kept the keys and let the tags expire.

The family allowed him to do all that and the tires to go flat.

Somebody parks their car at my house for the weekend they hang the keys inside my house were I can get to them if need be.

cbtengr
10-13-2013, 10:41
Being in the military and deploying overseas does not make you immune to following the law. I do not see any reason to make any exceptions in this case. Having been in the military may make me "special" but it does not exempt me from the rule of law.

MR2
10-13-2013, 10:56
The Airmans dad is possibly a QP from C/5/19 back in my day.

SF_BHT
10-13-2013, 11:30
Kid should have dropped off the keys and had a plan for the family to take care of the car. Just a bunch of drama in my perception and trying to use his service for not taking care of basic personnel task.

I have deployed multiple times 6month and a couple of 1 yr+ trips and always setup a plan. Take e car out once a month so oil, tires etc do not go bad. Arrange to have bills paid by the family or friends (checks left for payment). Those type of things.

Unapologetic Soldier
10-13-2013, 13:24
Being in the military and deploying overseas does not make you immune to following the law. I do not see any reason to make any exceptions in this case. Having been in the military may make me "special" but it does not exempt me from the rule of law.

Exactly.

This guy is putting a bad face on the military for any civilian dealing with this nonsense. Beside he's a E-4 and looks to be in his mid 30's. Act like a grown man.