PDA

View Full Version : Ursus Aggravatus

Dusty
10-11-2013, 10:54
One of the neighbor's nephews was up on the ridge behind my shack, about 600 yards east, bowhunting last Saturday and a black bear tried to climb the tree he was sitting in. He scared it off, but my neighbor's deer feeder got obliterated sometime Sat night.

They went out there and looked around Sunday, and told us there were five bears out there around where they hunt.

I'm all set up for deer, but I believe I might try to ease around there and take one of 'em, if they're still around next Saturday.

Anybody else geared up for bear this season? :munchin

Guymullins
10-11-2013, 16:40
One of the neighbor's nephews was up on the ridge behind my shack, about 600 yards east, bowhunting last Saturday and a black bear tried to climb the tree he was sitting in. He scared it off, but my neighbor's deer feeder got obliterated sometime Sat night.

They went out there and looked around Sunday, and told us there were five bears out there around where they hunt.

I'm all set up for deer, but I believe I might try to ease around there and take one of 'em, if they're still around next Saturday.

Nope, but hope to take two Blue Wilderbeest on Thursday.

Dusty
10-11-2013, 17:27
Nope, but hope to take two Blue Wilderbeest on Thursday.

With the big rifle? I guess that's a stupid question, considering the target...

mojaveman
10-11-2013, 17:57

A .375 H&H Magnum for Wildebeest?

What do you use for bears in your neck of the woods Dusty?

Team Sergeant
10-11-2013, 18:26

No but if I bring my own gun and ammo can I go with you? ;) (and I'll do the cooking!!!)

TOMAHAWK9521
10-11-2013, 20:51
Heading out next weekend for buck, bull & cow elk, and bear. Ever since that ornery bear charged me in the dark while I was trying to field dress an elk (the rotten bastard ruined what he didn't eat so I got left with nothing), I get a bear tag every year just to keep it legal.

I think the 300 Rem Ultra Mag will do just fine.

tim180a
10-12-2013, 05:33

I'm ready for deer and bear. My main woods gun is a .35 Remington. Happy hunting! :lifter

Dusty
10-12-2013, 06:13
No but if I bring my own gun and ammo can I go with you? ;) (and I'll do the cooking!!!)

Desde luego.

swpa19
10-12-2013, 06:33
Ya gotta watch them thar Bars and tree stands....Have you seen this one?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151486944976595&set=vb.507801594&type=2&theater

Dusty
10-12-2013, 06:44
A .375 H&H Magnum for Wilderbeest?

What do you use for bears in your neck of the woods Dusty?

.50 cal CVA Wolf with 100 grains of 777, during muzzleloader season.

RE: Blue Wildebeest; I would personally use the Holland on it, if I owned one. Of course, I'd use the Holland every chance I got. :D

I'm sure .300 Win Mag would do the trick, though...

SFOC0173
10-12-2013, 07:18
As of this morning both zone 1 & 2 are still open for Oct. Have placed attractants out but have not seen any evidence of Bear activity. If one should somber by I plan to take it, am in Bear Zone 2.
Archery: Crossbow with Grim Reaper Broad Head.
Muzzleloader: Remington 700ML 50 cal.
Modern Gun: 7MM mag.

Guymullins
10-12-2013, 14:38

Yes Dusty, I use it for everything nowadays and allow my sons to use the 30-06 which is also OK for Wilderbeest. The other fellows I am hunting with will use a .300 Win Mag and the other .375 H&H. Wilderbeest are not huge, but are very hardy, so if you dont have good strong bullets (I favor Barnes X) and hit them in the right place, exactly, you could be in for a very long day.