View Full Version : My first / second line gear

stanley_white
11-18-2004, 09:26
http://community.webshots.com/album/192531986GbKXKe

What do you guys think?

NousDefionsDoc
11-18-2004, 10:16
Looks good Stan.

The only thing I would suggest is that you consider a change with your pistol mags. If you have your short gun out, its because your long gun went down and your trying to save your life. If you run out of ammo in your short gun, you need to fix that problem at the speed of light. I don't see you doing rapid pistol mag changes with the mag placement you have there. The ones on the Nalgene carriers will be hard to get to and you run the risk of fumbling with the leg carry. You have plenty of room on your belt, perhaps add a double there. Just a thought.

Nice rig, obviously you put a lot of thought into it. Have you run it on the range yet?

stanley_white
11-18-2004, 12:30
Looks good Stan.

The only thing I would suggest is that you consider a change with your pistol mags. If you have your short gun out, its because your long gun went down and your trying to save your life. If you run out of ammo in your short gun, you need to fix that problem at the speed of light. I don't see you doing rapid pistol mag changes with the mag placement you have there. The ones on the Nalgene carriers will be hard to get to and you run the risk of fumbling with the leg carry. You have plenty of room on your belt, perhaps add a double there. Just a thought.

Nice rig, obviously you put a lot of thought into it. Have you run it on the range yet?

NDD,

The chest harness in the picture is laid flat. When I put it on and it curves around my body the pistol mag pouches are easy to get to.

I will be running the rig on the range tomorrow during lunch break. We'll see if I need to move anything around after I get done.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Razor
11-18-2004, 13:41
Its all personal preference and need, but could you run with just one Nalgene pouch (hence 1L of water readily accessible), and use the newly freed space for a couple frag pouches, or a small med pouch?

The Reaper
11-18-2004, 13:51
What is the advantage of the hard water bottles and canteens over bladders, like the Platypus?

TR

stanley_white
11-18-2004, 14:42
Razor,

For now I am trying the two nalgene thing because it is my comfort zone. Being a former USMC Grunt type one each I always carried two canteens etc. I am going to begin experimenting a bit tomorrow on the range. If I were to dump one of the nalgene pouches I am a bit concerned about the balance of the rig. But it's all a matter of experimentation.

Reaper,

I go with the hard sided water bottles on my second line because they are a bit more rugged than a bladder. Getting in and out of vehicles a lot / under fire etc I'd rather have something a bit tougher.

Please keep the suggestions coming! I am sure this will get changed around as I test it out under a bit of pressure on the range. Check and test... Check and test... :D

-----------------------

UPDATE: NDD I conducted some dry fire drills at home and I relocated the pistol magazine pouches. I will try this new location live fire and see if it works. If not I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks again.

TF Kilo
11-30-2004, 01:51
Flexible bladders allow the "squish" factor which may be the difference in your kit giving way and you moving through the breach, or getting hung up by something hard in your kit.

I personally keep as slick-sided as possible. I was issued the rifleman's MAV from TT by my company supply, and added on stuff I have had in the past. I keep a 3L camelback backpack as well as a 70 oz camelback on my back. The backpack is typically snaplinked as a headrest inside my stryker while the 70 oz'er stays on me. I grab the backpack depending on what we're doing if dismounting.

5 3 mag pouches from TT and one 3 mag panel (testing product never given back to the same company that made the RACK and MOLLE) comprise the immediate front of my kit. 3 pouches and the panel center mass, 2 mag pouches going to the left as worn. My medical pouch is to the right of center, followed by the large pouches on the sides. Those pouches typically carry markers, nods stuff, and any mission essential BS. Inside the MAV I keep my cap crimpers, strobe, tied off whistle, etc. 2 grenade pouches are on the left large pouch bottom portion, and a multiple shit carrying pouch is on the right. That's where my SH 21-76 stays in a MRE bag folded over. I also have multiple "idjit" cards for call for fire, medivac, etc.

I'll take a couple shots and post them up tomorrow.