PDA

View Full Version : What a Special Forces ‘Legion Detachment’ is made of

Dog Pound Zulu
10-03-2013, 19:55
http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2013/10/03/special-forces-legion-detachment-made/

5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) Public Affairs

5th Special ForcesFort Campbell, KY – A Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha is designed to be comprised of 12 highly trained Green Berets.
The team typically includes two of each specialty to include: weapons, engineering, medical, communications, and intelligence sergeants. The teams are led by a detachment commander, assistant detachment commander and a senior Special Forces team sergeant.

JJ_BPK
10-04-2013, 05:23
Good article, will share.. Thanks :lifter

Surgicalcric
10-06-2013, 12:18
...A Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha is designed to be comprised of 12 highly trained Green Berets.
The team typically includes two of each specialty to include: weapons, engineering, medical, communications, and intelligence sergeants. The teams are led by a detachment commander, assistant detachment commander and a senior Special Forces team sergeant...

..who aren't trusted by their promotion focused leadership to do much of anything an SF soldier is suppose to do.

We dont have to worry about the national will or the civilian leadership's unwillingness in using our UW capability. Hell our own commanders will never let go of control enough to let an ODA function in a UW environment.

Pretty cool article though and good on the boys from the Legion

Pete
10-06-2013, 13:09
Dude, Flashbacks to the 100 miler, stress test, validation, et al from the "good old days".

Thanks for the story.

Combat Diver
10-27-2013, 18:21
Good job to the teams. :lifter

CD

SF_BHT
10-27-2013, 18:43
Dude, Flashbacks to the 100 miler, stress test, validation, et al from the "good old days".

Thanks for the story.

Thanks Pete. Now I am having flash backs and need PTSD meds....:p

albeham
10-28-2013, 05:57
I am going to drink a lot when I get home...a lot of water..ruck up!!!

AL

Trapper John
10-28-2013, 07:09
..who aren't trusted by their promotion focused leadership to do much of anything an SF soldier is suppose to do.

We dont have to worry about the national will or the civilian leadership's unwillingness in using our UW capability. Hell our own commanders will never let go of control enough to let an ODA function in a UW environment......

And that, sadly, is the one thing that hasn't changed in 40 years.

Great article, thanks DPZ. :lifter

miclo18d
10-29-2013, 06:02
Right after I got to 7th Group, I was pulling support for the 1st Best Team Competition that started on about September 8th(?), 2001. I went to deliver water out to one of the checkpoints on September 11th and the point sitter had a portable TV with him and showed us what was going on outside of Pisgah Natl Forest. Talk about some PTSD!

I think The Legion won that one if I remember correctly. I went through part of the course with the team leader, that's why I remember that team.

The Old Guy
11-16-2013, 18:34

Yes, the good old days when we were all good looking woman killers and they served beer and strippers in the club system; then came the stress tests, validations, and rucks from hell. The good old days.

Bechorg
12-01-2013, 10:27
And that, sadly, is the one thing that hasn't changed in 40 years.

Great article, thanks DPZ. :lifter

Shouldn't this be a sign that WE need to change faced with nothing but the fact that our leadership and Washington will not allow us to do the job? Aren't we sustaining a capability that does not have a realistic operational application?

Team Sergeant
12-01-2013, 21:48
Anyone ever seen a 12 man A-Team? :munchin

MR2
12-01-2013, 22:27

At Gabriel...

scooter
12-02-2013, 00:10

Yes.

I just got back from A-stan, had a 12 man team.

HardRoad
12-02-2013, 18:40
Let me guess - it was a composite team, and one of the four that the AOB deployed with . . .

Team Sergeant
12-02-2013, 23:15
Yes.

I just got back from A-stan, had a 12 man team.

Funny as you're the only one that answered out of the hundreds of Special Forces soldiers on here....;) I've never seen a 12 man A-team in my 17 years in Special Forces.

scooter
12-03-2013, 00:12
Let me guess - it was a composite team, and one of the four that the AOB deployed with . . .

No. My organic team, all the requisite MOS's with the right rank mixtures. Just about every team in the Company had 12 guys. Special Forces CAN be mass produced.

Mike
01-17-2014, 01:11
Not even in RVN.
A-Team Puque 68-70.

LongWire
03-10-2014, 20:48
I was on an ODA in A 1/5, and we had 14 guys at one point. That lasted a few months, but Scooter is correct. We had about 12 guys on that team for a good while, at least on paper, after having to loan a couple out to plus up other teams.

Astronomy
03-12-2014, 21:10
During the Surge in Iraq, 10th was DA authorized over strength. We typically fielded teams of 13-15 guys for both PMT and the entire downrange tour. Did that for two rotations. Eventually, that over strength was reallocated to form our new 4th Bn.

I had a twelve man team for an entire year back in '96 out at Carson. Two teams from the battalion were selected for participation in an SF Battle Lab Program. Both teams were required to be fully manned (with continuity of personnel) for the entire 12 months of sequential fly-away exercises, Force Mod equipment evaluation, and various types of mandatory Ft Bragg experimentation with simulators, MDMP, etc. . We did mirror image training (both teams either training together or supporting one another). Myself and the other Team Sergeant got to actually draw up our "dream" annual training calendar... and then execute it (without ever having to give any one up for external bullshit). Everything we planned, we did, and without the distraction of support details or not having someone present for training (outside of personal emergencies). Shoot, Move, and Communicate. Jump, Drop Bombs, Ski, Infil as ODAs into 3 or 4 major exercises (both conventional and SOF). 160th Support. CAS support. All of our requested away training deployments funded. It was... better than sex. Well... maybe not... but still pretty damn good.

The day that gig ended, so did my perfect twelve man team. They cut a hunk of flesh off my team with a vengeance. Gimme two guys for Group and Bn Staff. Give me a guy for the B-Team. Somebody for SWC. QPs know the drill...