PDA

View Full Version : Commandant of Marine Corps Calls For Arming All On Duty Marines At All

Snaquebite
09-28-2013, 14:12
Interesting....

Gen. James Amos, Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, in a recent presentation called for several changes to institutional policies for the USMC.

Among those, arming all on duty marines, all the time.

This would be a departure from the current protocols followed by all of the military branches which limits access to firearms to most service men and women while they are on duty unless firearms are part of performing their duty, such as for military police officers.

The Commandant’s presentation came about a week after numerous people were killed by a lone gunman at the Washington DC Navy Yard. It is unknown if the Navy Yard incident prompted the suggestion.

The arming of on duty marines was just one of several suggestions made by the Commandant according to Military Times,

http://gunssavelives.net/news/commandant-of-united-states-marine-corps-calls-for-arming-all-on-duty-marines-at-all-times/

Dusty
09-28-2013, 14:13
That'll do it.

Eagle5US
09-28-2013, 15:32
It's about damned time that someone with some stars showed some balls.

I could care less WHAT service they are from, with any luck at all others will be followers with as much zeal and enthusiasm as they were to get new patterns on uniforms.

ddoering
09-28-2013, 17:15
That'll do it.

Until they have a couple of ADs..... I'm sure there is a better, middle of the road option. Perhaps having weapons and ammo stored in all occupied structures.

UWOA (RIP)
09-28-2013, 17:53
Until they have a couple of ADs..... I'm sure there is a better, middle of the road option. Perhaps having weapons and ammo stored in all occupied structures.

I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge. If 'ADs' are dealt with severely, sending a message we can get down to the real business of force protection.

Just my $0.02.

Dusty
09-28-2013, 18:16
I call 'em negligent discharges. Cops can have them, too.

Good point to consider, but I'd rather take my chances with ND's over jihadists/ELF shotgunners or any other wacko.

Sohei
09-28-2013, 18:35
Very good call General Amos!

I would like to see it get some traction, but I won't hold my breath. I would, however, like to be surprised.

Beef
09-28-2013, 18:40
Ooooorrrraaaaahhhhh!!!!! Need I say more?:lifter

Tree Potato
09-28-2013, 18:56
The media probably took the general's comments out of context. It seems the general was referring specifically to arming the Marine watchstander duty positions providing adult supervision in bachelor quarters. Hopefully I'm wrong and this was a trial balloon to gauge reactions; allowing Marine officers and NCOs to be regularly armed is a good idea.

An extract from Military Times (http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20130927/NEWS/309250037/Commandant-calls-new-crackdown-barracks-life-Marine-behavior):

The Marine Corps commandant wants tough new measures put in place in barracks across the service to “reawaken” it morally and crack down on bad behavior, Marine Corps Times has learned.

Gen. Jim Amos delivered his plan Monday to his senior officers during the General Officer Symposium at Quantico, Va. It calls for a variety of new initiatives, including the installation of security cameras in each barracks, the incorporation of more staff noncommissioned officers and officers on duty, and the arming of all officers on duty and staff NCOs on duty at all times, according to briefing slides from the commandant’s address.

■ Sergeants and corporals will return to the barracks, as basic allowance for housing is no longer allowed for single NCOs. This policy change was made in 2011, with the commandant saying it was necessary to save money and put the Corps’ new, impressive bachelor enlisted quarters to full use.

■ Senior officers, staff NCOs and NCOs will be in and out of the barracks regularly, especially between 8 p.m. and 4 a.m.

■ Company-grade officers will be assigned as officers on duty, and staff NCOs will be assigned as staff officers on duty. All Marines on duty will be required to wear service uniforms, either “Bravos” or “Charlies,” depending on which uniform is in season.

■ Two NCOs will be on duty per barracks, and a firewatch will be conducted on each floor of each building.

■ Television and video games will not be allowed in the watchstander’s place of duty. They must be out and about, and not behind a desk.

■ Commanders leading Marine expeditionary forces, major subordinate commands and installations must develop plans to “fight and win” in the barracks with their sergeants major.

UWOA (RIP)
09-28-2013, 21:55
I call 'em negligent discharges. Cops can have them, too.

Good point to consider, but I'd rather take my chances with ND's over jihadists/ELF shotgunners or any other wacko.

That's why I put AD in quotes in the second sentence; I'm in complete agreement with you, Dusty. I was merely adding if you deal sharply with the AD/ND issue there's no reason not to employ the Commandant's plan.

Regardless, whether only in the barracks area ... it's a step in the right direction.

Again, my $0.02.

Dusty
09-29-2013, 05:32
The media probably took the general's comments out of context. It seems the general was referring specifically to arming the Marine watchstander duty positions providing adult supervision in bachelor quarters. Hopefully I'm wrong and this was a trial balloon to gauge reactions; allowing Marine officers and NCOs to be regularly armed is a good idea.

An extract from Military Times (http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20130927/NEWS/309250037/Commandant-calls-new-crackdown-barracks-life-Marine-behavior):

That's a solid plan, although I'm having trouble imagining a single gunman assaulting a Marine bachelor's quarters.

Beef
09-29-2013, 08:28
IMHO, this has been a no-brainer for any area that has any reasonable level of threat since 23 OCT 1983. Unfortunately, now days that's everywhere.

RIP
B/2d Recon Bn:
Cpl T. W. Abbot 23OCT1983 Beirut
PFC J. M. Comas 23OCT1983 Beirut
Cpl T. J. Dunnigan 23OCT1983 Beirut
HM2 J. E. Faulk 23OCT1983 Beirut
Cpl S. R. Gallagher 23OCT1983 Beirut
Sgt R. B. Greaser 23OCT1983 Beirut
SSgt R. H. Holberton 23OCT1983 Beirut
Sgt M. S. Lariviere 23OCT1983 Beirut
Cpl M. C. Sauls 23OCT1983 Beirut
SSgt T. G. Smith 23OCT1983 Beirut
PFC S. D. Tingley 23OCT1983 Beirut
Cpl L. W. Walker 23OCT1983 Beirut
Cpl L. W. Wolf 23OCT1983 Beirut

PRB
09-29-2013, 12:14
As to AD's.
As you know everyone carries in Astan (or did)...the Mess Hall at KAF had a sign on the door...No admittance for Military unless armed.
No issues.
When people carry they quickly learn to treat a weapon properly.
Our initial 'go to war' AD's happen because folks do not carry normally and have the learning curve.

Good for the CG....the barracks deal makes sense too. I like it.