PDA

View Full Version : MA-10UD altimeter issues

18C4V
09-24-2013, 22:24
Just a heads up with issues with the MA-10UD model.

Any other teams out there having issues such as the ones we had? Altimeter freezing on altitude climb and in free fall?

My team just got back from a level one sustainment and we were using the MA-10UD Altimeter which is rated to 40,000. At the first issue we were at jump number 12 and in our stand off phase.

The first issue was doing a stand off and my MFF JM's altimeter froze at the yellow light which was two minutes from our HARP. I quickly trouble shot (powered it on/off) with negative results and quickly switched it out with the older model (MA2-30) that I had in my admin pouch on my kit.

The second issue was during free fall during jump 15 for a super slick HALO jump. My altimeter froze at 5,000 and luckily the other MFF JM was in front of me so I could estimate (by counting) and I was able to pull when he pulled.

So I pulled our MA-10's from service since we were entering night week and we used the old MA2-30 the next week with no issues.

Lesson learned for me to have two alimeters on my wrist vs having one on my chest (super slick) or in my admin pouch with kit on.

Our riggers know about the issues and I sent the the complete Navy safety message (partial below)

Stay safe out there!!!!!

GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. PER REF A, REPORTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED BY ALTI-2, INC. OF MA-10 ALTIMETER POINTERS STICKING DURING ALTITUDE CLIMB AND FREEFALL. THE MA-10 ALTIMETER HAS TWO POINTERS, ONE ABOVE THE DIAL FACE AND ONE BELOW (180 DEGREES OFFSET); INVESTIGATION BY ALTI-2, INC. HAS SHOWN THAT UNDER SOME CONDITIONS THE POINTER BELOW THE DIAL FACE (NOT VISIBLE TO THE USER) CAN COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE SIDE OF THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT. IF THIS OCCURS, THE MOTOR INCREASES TORQUE TO "CATCH UP" AND THE INCREASING PRESSURE EFFECTIVELY LOCKS THE POINTER AGAINST THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT. ACCORDING TO ALTI-2, INC. THIS ISSUE AFFECTS A VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE OF MA-10 ALTIMETERS IN THE FIELD.

MK262MOD1
09-24-2013, 22:38
Hadn't seen that warning. Thanks for the heads up.

11Ber
09-24-2013, 23:25
As soon as I saw the MA-10, battery-powered, analog face, I knew I wouldn't like it. I always wear my Neptune as my primary with the MA-10 just as a "don't lose out on my life insurance" piece.

Papa Zero Three
09-24-2013, 23:57
Never heard of or seen that happen and I've been using the MA-10 since Alti-2 released it and was evaluating it with NATICK prior to it being approved for use. CAG also has an extensive testing and use of this altimeter. I'm not negating your experience, just giving you some background as to the depth of the testing /use this piece of equipment went through. In fact the MA-10s were the only altis that read identical and accurately above 18k ft all the way to 25k for those who had them. The rest wearing MA2-30s all had varying degrees of inaccuracy among those wearing them. The only issue that was experienced early on and subsequently fixed had to to do with the locking lever on the battery door inadvertently unseating. It does sound like you got a few bad ones. Did you send the report to the HALO PM at Natick? If you need his POC info send me a PM and I can pass it to you.

Peregrino
09-25-2013, 18:48
Interesting news. I'll bring it up to my Air Guy when I get to work tomorrow.

Couple of side notes:

Those of you talking about wearing two altimeters, please check with your SFG(A) S-3s. We (USASFC(A)) sent out an AMHS Safety of Use to the Regiment following the fatal accident last December that restricts (prohibits) the placement of extra equipment on the right wrist. I do not believe it has been rescinded.

Also be aware that we've had some recent issues with Cypress malfunctions. The Regimental Aerial Delivery Officer thinks it was mostly an Air Farce problem but the CDR at Cannon (HAW) has forced us to cancel some MFF operations. We're trying to convince him that it's our risk assessment/acceptance but he's sticking to his guns (they are his planes and he does get a vote in what we do with them).