PDA

View Full Version : Truckers Threaten to Shut Down DC for 3 Days

Dusty
09-18-2013, 09:45
http://beforeitsnews.com/protests-demonstrations/2013/09/why-are-truckers-threatening-to-shut-down-washington-d-c-for-three-days-straight-2451626.html

A group of truckers are reportedly planning to shut Washington, D.C. down for three days straight starting on Oct. 11 to protest the “corruption against the Constitution.”

The “Truckers To Shut Down America” Facebook page has more than 16,000 likes, though it is unclear how many truckers actually intend on taking part in the disruptive protest.

“The American people are sick and tired of the corruption that is destroying America! We therefore declare a GENERAL STRIKE on the weekend of October 11-13, 2013! Truck drivers will not haul freight! Americans can strike in solidarity with truck drivers!” the group’s description reads.

In a YouTube video uploaded by user “Kevin Allan” and linked on the “Truckers To Shut Down America” Facebook page, the event is labeled as a general “strike” by the American people against the federal government and its “bulls**t.”

The narrator in the video says he has received word from others that “truckers are organizing and are going to shut down D.C.” Watch the video below (Warning: Some strong language):

It is too early to tell if the “strike” will be successful, but “shutting down” the nation’s capitol would certainly have a huge impact whether you agree or disagree with the tactic.

The Facebook page provides some additional information on the motive behind the action, which ranges from Obamacare to the IRS scandal to Benghazi:

Snip

Oldrotorhead
09-18-2013, 10:05
Go truckers!

Dusty
09-18-2013, 10:32
This could be a hell of a thing if enough truckers participate. That industry is a huge part of the American economy.

From Trucking Industry Facts 2010:

• In tonnage, trucks carried 68.8% of all freight – 10.2 billion tons in 2008.

• In 2007, trucks hauled over $8.3 trillion worth of merchandise.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sfx2D65U_MEJ:www.cargotransporters. com/pdf/dyk201001.pdf+amount+goods+hauled+by+truck&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Wonder if they take F150's? :munchin

GratefulCitizen
09-18-2013, 21:47
Maybe UPS will contribute to the slowdown.
The new contract is still in limbo (previous contract expired July 31).

Box
09-19-2013, 00:32
Ha... now that the date is published, the politicians will simply spend taxpayer money to leave town that weekend...

Dusty
09-19-2013, 05:52
Ha... now that the date is published, the politicians will simply spend taxpayer money to leave town that weekend...

Valid point.

It won't be covered by lamestreamers anyway, unless there's no alternative.

Like the bikers who tainted the muslim march.

Badger52
09-19-2013, 17:09
Where's C.W. McCall when you need him?

dollarbill
09-20-2013, 07:19
The company I work for currently has approximately 1500 OTR Drivers. Most are planning to take home time or putting there truck the shop to help stop delivering merchandise. It good to see Americans are finally standing up.

Dusty
10-07-2013, 16:40
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/10/07/truckers-for-the-constitution-plan-to-slow-dc-beltway-arrest-congressmen

Tractor-trailer drivers will intentionally clog the inner loop of the Washington, D.C., beltway beginning on the morning of Oct. 11, according to a coordinator of the upcoming "Truckers Ride for the Constitution" rally.

Organizers of the three-day ride want to call attention to a litany of trucker frustrations and express their disapproval of national political leaders.

Earl Conlon, a Georgia trucker who is handling logistics for the protest, told U.S. News tractor-trailer drivers will circle the beltway "three lanes deep" as he rides with other participants to Congress to seek the arrest of congressmen for allegedly disregarding the Constitution.

The truckers circling I-495 will keep the left lane open for emergency vehicles, Conlon said, but "everybody that doesn't have a supporter sticker on their window, good luck: Nobody in, nobody out." The trucks will be going the 55 mile-per-hour speed limit.

D.C. commuters who wish to be allowed past the convoy must have "T2SDA" – an acronym for the event's original name, "Truckers to Shut Down America" – written on their vehicle, he said.

"It's going to be real fun for anyone who is not a supporter," Conlon said, "[and] if cops decide to give us a hard time, we're going to lock the brakes up, we're going to stop right there, we're going to be a three lane roadblock."

Zeeda Andrews, a former country music singer helping promote the protest, said last week participants would present demands to congressmen – including the impeachment of President Barack Obama – and give the congressmen an opportunity to agree to the demands in exchange for canceling the ride.

But Conlon says that's not quite right.

"We are not going to ask for impeachment," Conlon said. "We are coming whether they like it or not. We're not asking for impeachment, we're asking for the arrest of everyone in government who has violated their oath of office."

Conlon cited the idea of a citizens grand jury – meaning a pool of jurors convened without court approval – as the mechanism for indicting the officials.

"We want these people arrested, and we're coming in with the grand jury to do it," he said. "We are going to ask the law enforcement to uphold their constitutional oath and make these arrests. If they refuse to do it, by the power of the people of the United States and the people's grand jury, they don't want to do it, we will. ... We the people will find a way."

It's almost certain that anyone attempting to "arrest" a member of Congress would be arrested themselves for attempted kidnapping.

Conlon and Andrews say Obama committed "treason" by allegedly funneling weapons to al-Qaida-linked rebels in Syria. Members of Congress who support arming Syrian rebels, Conlon said, are accessories to the alleged crime. He identified House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., as politicians he will seek to arrest for alleged acts against the Constitution.

Andrews said last week 3,000 truckers had RSVP-ed to the event, and Conlon says he's now lost count of the number. He says he's receiving around 100 emails a day from prospective participants.

"What we want to do is go in nice and peaceful and keep it as peaceful as possible... but if they decide to get ugly with us we're going to do what we have to do," he said. "If all I get is one or two congressmen walked out of there in handcuffs, that will be a shot across the bow that will ripple across all branches of government. ... I hope they are all civil enough and brave enough to step out onto the congressional steps."

Snip

Paslode
10-07-2013, 16:51
There is a Million Vet march scheduled for 10/13, plus the truckers on 10/11, plus a Immigration Reform Rally, plus all the folks jumping the Barry-cades......

Martial Law can't be far behind :D

BMT (RIP)
10-07-2013, 18:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4OSqrb2Ww

Audio ain't all that good!!

BMT

Airbornelawyer
10-10-2013, 17:46
A local DC news channel just ran a teaser for the 11:00 news which mentioned the potential for the trucker shutdown. Apparently, according to the news, the truckers are protesting the government shutdown. :rolleyes:

dollarbill
10-10-2013, 17:52
I'm in Chicago now and there is an unusually large amount of big trucks heading east on I-80. Couldn't swear there going to DC. If they are be ready for delays.

BryanK
10-10-2013, 17:56
It should be an interesting commute home tomorrow if they do. :boohoo

Sdiver
10-10-2013, 18:09
Those of you on FB, can follow these guys on their page.

https://www.facebook.com/ridefortheconstitution

MtnGoat
10-10-2013, 18:41
Those of you on FB, can follow these guys on their page.

https://www.facebook.com/ridefortheconstitution

Just about every state had a Trucker match on DC FB page. There is even a Canadian Truckers 2 DC.

One FB page I was on had pictures of Truckers leaving and prole on the side of the intestate with signs of support.

Frinkin awesome

Sdiver
10-10-2013, 19:00
The support these guys are getting is incredible.
There are shops/store/restaurants posting, "If you're traveling through "such and such" a place, stop by this store/shop/restaurant for a free meal/drink/coffee etc.

MtnGoat .... As you said, "Freakin' Awesome !!!!!" :lifter

Max_Tab
10-10-2013, 22:30
I don't know how accurate this website is, but if it is true, it shows how much power they think they have. I just wonder how far they will push until America starts to push back.

Sources within the Department of Transportation have revealed that their plan to use National Guard resources to close federally funded Interstate Route 495, circling the nation’s capital, have been approved by unknown White House officials and will be implemented on Friday morning, October 11, in order to thwart the three day Trucker slowdown announced on the Capitol Beltway starting that date, using the federal government shutdown as justification..

http://freedomleadershipconference.org/2013/10/obama-dot-plans-use-of-national-guard-to-close-i-495-capital-beltway-tomorrow/

Sdiver
10-10-2013, 22:41
I don't know how accurate this website is, but if it is true, it shows how much power they think they have. I just wonder how far they will push until America starts to push back.

Sources within the Department of Transportation have revealed that their plan to use National Guard resources to close federally funded Interstate Route 495, circling the nation’s capital, have been approved by unknown White House officials and will be implemented on Friday morning, October 11, in order to thwart the three day Trucker slowdown announced on the Capitol Beltway starting that date, using the federal government shutdown as justification..

http://freedomleadershipconference.org/2013/10/obama-dot-plans-use-of-national-guard-to-close-i-495-capital-beltway-tomorrow/

I've been seeing this floating around FB and twitter, and I saw this on the Trucker's FB page.

Retraction from Paul Joseph Watson is as follows:[10/10/13 Demonstrators under the banner of Truckers Ride for the Constitution will arrive in DC tomorrow morning to snarl traffic as part of “a shot across the bow that will ripple across all branches of government.” 10,000 truckers are expected to continually circle the Beltway for three days, taking up two lanes and keeping a third clear to allow access for emergency vehicles.
The group said speculation that the National Guard would block the Beltway was inaccurate, stating, “The Virginia State Police are working closely with our organization and have assured us that no such orders to the National Guard exist.”

Guess we'll see if this is true or not come the morning. :munchin

PSM
10-11-2013, 00:09
Does the "District" of Columbia have an NG unit? If so, who is the Governor in charge? BTW, my son's NG drill this month has been cancelled due to the "slimdown". "My, my, my, said the spider to the fly." ;)

Pat

GratefulCitizen
10-11-2013, 00:22
Hmmm...

In order to prevent truckers from shutting down the beltway, the beltway will be shut down preemptively.
That'll show em.

Maybe the dims can be convinced to preemptively repeal the ACA so repubs can't do it...

BrokenSwitch
10-11-2013, 02:49
Sources within the Department of Transportation have revealed that their plan to use National Guard resources to close federally funded Interstate Route 495, circling the nation’s capital, have been approved by unknown White House officials and will be implemented on Friday morning, October 11, in order to thwart the three day Trucker slowdown announced on the Capitol Beltway starting that date, using the federal government shutdown as justification.

So they'll close the beltway to keep the beltway from closing? :munchin

SF_BHT
10-11-2013, 04:25
Does the "District" of Columbia have an NG unit? If so, who is the Governor in charge? BTW, my son's NG drill this month has been cancelled due to the "slimdown". "My, my, my, said the spider to the fly." ;)

Pat

Pat

Glad you mentioned it. I was getting to comment on that.

The answer is NO....

I still would like to see a group of truckers do this...:D

Ret10Echo
10-11-2013, 05:08
Well, as of 07:00, no reports of traffic issues or increased presence of rigs around or on the beltway..... :munchin

MR2
10-11-2013, 05:09
Remember the Farmer shutdown during the Carter Administration? All those tractors... Only added to his woes.

JHD
10-11-2013, 05:18
Pat

The answer is NO....

I haven't heard a peep about either the MD or VA actions on trying to deter this protest. This protest, and add in the rainfall we are getting, DC will definitely be in complete and total gridlock. Add on top the Vets March. DC will be complete chaos. Good luck to those of you heading down for the march BTW. I wish I could attend, but cannot.

MtnGoat
10-11-2013, 05:45
Let's see how much of this makes the evening News.

steel_eel
10-11-2013, 05:50
If "The President" orders DOT to utilize NG assets, wouldn't that be title 10 orders to active federal service?
Sounds bobo to me.

Dusty
10-11-2013, 05:57
If "The President" orders DOT to utilize NG assets, wouldn't that be title 10 orders to active federal service?
Sounds bobo to me.

So?

When you're the King, you can arbitrarily change law at will:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/updated-obama-waives-ban-on-arming-terrorists-to-allow-aid-to-syrian-opposition/article/2535885

Badger52
10-11-2013, 06:16
WaPo article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/va-state-police-trucker-protest-launched-on-i-95-north-vehicles-head-toward-beltway/2013/10/11/c8049b7e-3266-11e3-89ae-16e186e117d8_story.html?hpid=z5) paints a lack of solidarity issue.

Dusty
10-11-2013, 07:00
WaPo article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/va-state-police-trucker-protest-launched-on-i-95-north-vehicles-head-toward-beltway/2013/10/11/c8049b7e-3266-11e3-89ae-16e186e117d8_story.html?hpid=z5) paints a lack of solidarity issue.

That's understandable; no union would condone it, unless their members are forced to accept Obamacare.

As far as I'm concerned, the mission's already been accomplished thru the intent, but-"we'll just see what we'll see, won't we"? ;)

Airbornelawyer
10-11-2013, 07:05

Pat
Pat

The answer is NO....

You might want to tell MG Errol Schwartz that. He is Commanding General, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia National Guard, and acts ad Adjutant General of the DC National Guard. Since there's no Governor, the President appoints the Adjutant General.

The total strength is about 2,700 soldiers and airmen. The main formation is the 372nd Military Police Battalion, and there are also various command and control formations, CS and CSS units.

On the Air National Guard side, you have the 113th Wing with the 121st Fighter Squadron (F-16C/D interceptors) and the 201st Airlift Squadron (C-38 and C-40 executive transports), again plus support units.

The Reaper
10-11-2013, 09:50

Pat

Yes.

http://states.ng.mil/sites/dc/Pages/DCNationalGuard.aspx

The TAG is a MG who is appointed by the POTUS.

TR

PSM
10-11-2013, 10:15
Yes.

http://states.ng.mil/sites/dc/Pages/DCNationalGuard.aspx

The TAG is a MG who is appointed by the POTUS.

TR

Interesting, thanks. I guess the Praetorian Nation Guard isn't effected by the shutdown. ;)

Pat

Sdiver
10-11-2013, 10:32
Here is the link to the DC traffic cams .... http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/index.html

Not seeing the traffic "snarl-up" that they promised, but this is a three day event.

JHD
10-11-2013, 11:30
Here is the link to the DC traffic cams .... http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/index.html

Not seeing the traffic "snarl-up" that they promised, but this is a three day event.

This is Friday, which is already lighter than normal due to flex work schedules (except in the summer when everyone is leaving twn). With the shut down, traffic is even lighter. The real test will start at 3PM rolling through 7PM.

Max_Tab
10-11-2013, 11:59
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y34-I4Ki1kk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%2 6v%3DY34-I4Ki1kk

Its less than a minute but at least there is some activity going on.

fng13
10-11-2013, 12:55
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y34-I4Ki1kk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%2 6v%3DY34-I4Ki1kk

Its less than a minute but at least there is some activity going on.

This is from 2008.

SF_BHT
10-11-2013, 17:13
You might want to tell MG Errol Schwartz that. He is Commanding General, Joint Force Headquarters, District of Columbia National Guard, and acts ad Adjutant General of the DC National Guard. Since there's no Governor, the President appoints the Adjutant General.

The total strength is about 2,700 soldiers and airmen. The main formation is the 372nd Military Police Battalion, and there are also various command and control formations, CS and CSS units.

On the Air National Guard side, you have the 113th Wing with the 121st Fighter Squadron (F-16C/D interceptors) and the 201st Airlift Squadron (C-38 and C-40 executive transports), again plus support units.

Thanks learn something every day. So is he a Great O yes man?:eek:

Max_Tab
10-11-2013, 17:30
This is from 2008.

My bad, I didn't see a date.

BryanK
10-11-2013, 17:46
For what it's worth, the DCARNG drill for the weekend has been "postponed" due to the shutdown. As well as other Guard activities/schools/training for most units. If that violates OPSEC please remove, but it has been posted online already for DC and other state units affected by this shutdown. Interesting times.

Ret10Echo
10-11-2013, 18:47
This is Friday, which is already lighter than normal due to flex work schedules (except in the summer when everyone is leaving twn). With the shut down, traffic is even lighter. The real test will start at 3PM rolling through 7PM.

The weather jacked up the traffic...which is not hard to do in the NCR. You mention precipitation and the roads jam.

Wish there had been a better showing. The MSM will be all over the less-than-expected results of the effort. Unlike other stories that they conveniently "miss".

JHD
10-11-2013, 19:10
The weather jacked up the traffic...which is not hard to do in the NCR. You mention precipitation and the roads jam.

Wish there had been a better showing. The MSM will be all over the less-than-expected results of the effort. Unlike other stories that they conveniently "miss".

Agree with you that there had been a better turn out. Even with the rain, traffic wasn't too bad, considering. You are correct that when it rains, snows, or whatever here, traffic is a worse nightmare then normal.

Had the govt not been shutdown, and a Tues, Wed or Thurs, the few trucks that did show would have had a much bigger impact.

MtnGoat
10-12-2013, 06:48
Agree with you that there had been a better turn out. Even with the rain, traffic wasn't too bad, considering. You are correct that when it rains, snows, or whatever here, traffic is a worse nightmare then normal.

Had the govt not been shutdown, and a Tues, Wed or Thurs, the few trucks that did show would have had a much bigger impact.

They should stay till Monday and add to DC Monday driving problems.

Airbornelawyer
10-13-2013, 18:21
They should stay till Monday and add to DC Monday driving problems.

Monday is a holiday.