PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of SGM Morrone

Toaster
09-10-2013, 10:37
SGM Morrone, whose actual name is William Anthony Morrone, has been in the Army for 20+ years, under his brother's name, Gerald Morrone. He enlisted that way since he was somehow ineligible to enter the service.

For some reason he was arrested when he was on leave and his identity revealed to the Army. I do not have the detail on this.

I recently did baliff duties for the United State vs. Morrone, to re-instate his pay, which is public record, was regarding that they have stopped paying him since his time of civilian incarceration, and have not started paying him again since he enlisted fraudently, though he is reporting to duty and cannot work elsewhere preventing him from other employment.

The United States side of the council was unsure of where to make an exception to start his pay, saying that it could the decision of POTUS or SEFDEF.

This is an interesting case which raises moral questions.

1. Since this individual has had a distinguished career as an infantryman and done many great things for the Army, should he be entitled to his retirement?

2. What should be done? If he does not have to atone for his lack of integrity, it sets another example of an individual in a high position being able to get away with anything.

A few links on charges and other things;

Felony charges on vehicle purchase.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=8096

http://www.bustedmugshots.com/north-carolina/fayetteville/william-anthony-morrone/109017521

SGM Morrone making the SGM List FY07

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/105165122/FY07-SGMSGMSMC-Results

Please chime in on this topic and express opinions on it. It's an interesting anomoly.

JJ_BPK
09-10-2013, 10:54
UCMJ: Did he filed a false statement to get a S or TS clearance? If so, he is due a court martial and D-discharge. Probably a bunch of UCMJ FAILS to go with repetitive false statement(s). A 20 yr career may mitigate the sentence, but not much..

My $00.00002..

:munchin

Richard
09-10-2013, 11:16
IMO he was legally in trouble everytime he signed his name to an official doc claiming to be someone he wasn't or swore an oath of enlistment ["I, {name}, do solemnly swear or affirm...], filed taxes, or took money as someone else, etc.

This is an interesting dilemma... :confused:

Richard

Toaster
09-10-2013, 12:29
I had a great uncle, or great great uncle who enlisted into the Navy (during WWII) at 14... IIRC he tried to get out by telling his superiors he was underage and was told, tough shit, he was the one that signed up and he had to fulfill his contract.

I know there have been many underage Soldiers, especially during that time period, some have even been awareded the Medal of Honor. All of them are fraudulent enlistments, so there is that precedent.

On the inverse side of that coin, during his time, he must have chaptered someone out of the Army, a place he was not even legally eligible to be.

It is a travesty to the entire system to not throw the book at him, by the sheer violation of integrity.

The other side is the service that he has rendered for our country, and the potential he has/had to continue serving the military, it's a tremendous waste.

I know legal has a headache with 20 years of records to go through so there is all kinds of fun for everyone.

He is responsible for his own actions and must take the consequences of his choices. It's amazing how much simpler a life lived with integrity is.

craigepo
09-10-2013, 13:32
My dad lied about his age to get into the army, and was about 16 when he froze his feet in Korea, fighting first the North Koreans then the Chinese. Should we have taken his V.A. benefits away?

98G
09-10-2013, 14:08
My dad lied about his age to get into the army, and was about 16 when he froze his feet in Korea, fighting first the North Koreans then the Chinese. Should we have taken his V.A. benefits away?

My father lied about his age as well and enlisted at 16. He served 23 years including WWII (1st Div) and Korea. During WWII, he fought in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, D-Day invasion, Aachen, and the battle of the Budge. Then Korea. He was heading to Laos in 1961 when I came along and my mother won the day to have him retire. DSC, SS, 2x BS (V device), 2x PH and buried with my Mom at Arlington. Hope they don't see the need to dig him up for his apparent lack of integrity as a 15 year old (he arrived at basic after he turned 16 but signed the papers at 15. Yep, hardly fair to all the civilians that he served fraudulently.

There are lies that question one's integrity but I am not sure every lie does. That may be simply my excuse for a man I loved, respected and admired. Hopefully, the judicial body will temper justice with mercy and consider the individual and societal need for justice.

This -- on the surface -- is victimless crime committed over 20 years ago. It is ongoing by law but is the impact of it still at issue?

tonyz
09-10-2013, 14:17
Difficult cases often require a balance of legitimate competing interests.

Presumably, most rules are put in place for good and legitimate reasons - or why have them?

Having said that, we all know that exceptions are made - and many for good and legitimate reasons, as well.

This is indeed a case that, on the surface anyway, appears to require a very careful analysis - from a number of perspectives.

JJ_BPK
09-10-2013, 14:26
This is indeed a case that, on the surface anyway, appears to require a very careful analysis - from a number of perspectives.

I agree we do not have all the info,

BUT, lying about your age to get into the service is not even close to what appears to be a complete identity thief.

tonyz
09-10-2013, 14:31
I agree we do not have all the info,

BUT, lying about your age to get into the service is not even close to what appears to be a complete identity thief.

Agree whole heartedly.

It might also be appropriate to review his 20 years of service as well - in light of his most obvious transgression.

IMO, this man has a price to pay but that price may be adjusted based on what else he has done.

A fascinating situation that I hope to learn from - as others opine.

ddoering
09-10-2013, 14:32
I think you need to know what the "intent" was for the lie.

miclo18d
09-10-2013, 14:33
For the underage fraudulent enlistment guys.... They only lied for 2 years. This guy lied his whole career. I lied when I said my asthma went away when was 14. I can name a few days where I hated life after sucking on some HC smoke. Getting past a small hurdle is one thing but creating a false identity is pretty bad. He could have had a great career in the French Foriegn Legion and nothing would have been said!

Go Devil
09-10-2013, 14:40
My maternal grandfather enlisted in the Army (under age and under an assumed name) in 1905. After a period of two years or so, he went AWOL.
Upon America's entrance into WW1, he entered service again and served as a Army Wagoner in France under his real name.
He survived the war, and mustered out shortly thereafter.

My father's brother enlisted into the Navy during WW2 with deficient eyesight, by memorizing the eye chart. He volunteered for Scouts and Raiders, once again memorizing the eye chart, and participated in multiple landings around Europe and Africa.
After WW2 he enlisted Army and served in Korea, earning a battlefield commission.
He retired from the Army in 1972.

His name is in the UDT/SEAL museum in Florida.

I manipulated my blood pressure readings to drop a profile and go Infantry as well as to attend SFAS.

It appears as if his "outing" stemmed from his most recent vehicle transaction.

Doesn't our own president and some of his cabinet members have similar issues with identity as well as fraud.

In my opinion, youthful transgression can be forgiven if followed by a life of character.
I'd be interested to hear of his actions while in service.

CSB
09-10-2013, 15:26
GENERAL RULE:

It all depends on the reason why he could not / did not enlist under his real name.

IF HE COULD HAVE ENLISTED (with or without a waiver) = HQDA can issue a
waiver now -- retroactively -- and let him stay in or at least retire if he has the years of service.

Note that the choice belongs to Uncle Sam, not the soldier.

IF HE COULD NOT HAVE ENLISTED (totally disqualified, no waiver authorized) = He must
be involuntarily separated. His service was fraudulent from the beginning.

================================================

And yes, I've had to deal with such a case, although as a commander, not as a JAG.

Korea, 1974. My rifle company clerk had earlier enlisted to serve his country during the Viet Nam war.
He was separated at basic training for unsuitability. He had come from a very sheltered Amish type family,
had never seen another man naked (not even his brothers).
Nor had he heard the Lord's name cursed, men openly discussing sexual intercourse, etc.
He made it a few weeks through basic training, then was sent home.

After a few years, older and wiser to the world, he enlisted again. The second time
he lied and claimed to have no prior service. This time he made it through
basic, AIT and his first PCS before the records caught
up to him.

Fraudulent enlistment?

Yes, but since the defect would have been waivable had he only asked, we pushed
through DA approval for a retroactive waiver. He was a fine soldier.

Cake_14N
09-11-2013, 07:44
but DMV License and Theft Bureau inspectors determined that William Anthony Morrone Jr. used his brother’s name and identity documents to trade and purchase vehicles in 2009 and in 2012 at dealerships in Catawba and Cumberland counties.
looks to me like the charges are related to fraudlent vehicle purchases. I did not see where he enlisted fraudlently. It might be in the link that is blocked at my work.

I guess time will tell just how bad this situation is. Also, he must have a security clearance so how did he fool DoDCAF and OPM investigators for 20+ years on his security clearance?

just my simple thoughts...

Cake

Toaster
09-11-2013, 10:39
I'm currently unable to find the journal entry I made on the day of that part of the trial. I don't want to start any rumors...

IIRC he was picked up by police in montana or wyoming and put into custody for a period of time. Somehow the police made the connection he was not his brother...causing the house of cards to crumble

Which caused the gate to open on the identity/fraud felonies (perhaps there is a statute of limitations on car purchases). I would suppose that the cars were not so much a typical forgery since he was living as his brother, versus clearly false information.

More information (court proceedings are public record) would be obtainable from XVIII Corps legal, if anyone cares to give them a call or visit.

SF18C
09-11-2013, 11:50
So what happen to the brother this whole time?

ghp95134
09-11-2013, 15:25
but
looks to me like the charges are related to fraudlent vehicle purchases. I did not see where he enlisted fraudlently. It might be in the link that is blocked at my work.

I guess time will tell just how bad this situation is. Also, he must have a security clearance so how did he fool DoDCAF and OPM investigators for 20+ years on his security clearance?

just my simple thoughts...

Cake

Check the initial post for the SGM list - he's using his brother's name.

--ghp

Toaster
09-11-2013, 16:20
So what happen to the brother this whole time?

I cannot say for certain, and I do not want to post any rumors, we may not ever know.

I haven't heard anything saying that he is deceased, complicit, or ignorant of this matter.

It makes one wonder though...