PDA

View Full Version : Referral needed

Roguish Lawyer
08-30-2013, 07:45
I have a client in San Diego who thinks his girlfriend placed a tracking device on his car. Anyone know of an individual or firm who could check the car for the existence/nonexistence of such a device? PM me if you have any suggestions, thanks.

alelks
08-30-2013, 07:52
It would be mounted in one of two ways. Either it's magnetic, or it's installed with zip ties.

Typical places to look.

Under the hood
Under the vents by the hood just below the windshield
Attached under the car somewhere.
Under the seats to include the back bench seat.
Under any external trim that has an empty pocket behind it.

It could be very small or somewhat large but they are getting MUCH smaller, especially if it just logs and doesn't transmit. It could be as small as a good size thumb drive.

Depending on the type it may or may not need to be installed so it has a direct view of the sky (minus thin trim work).

If it's just logging there is no signal so there is nothing that will detect it.

Hope this helps.

kgoerz
08-30-2013, 08:02
Dump the girlfriend comes to mind. Don't know if there is a device that will detect a GPS out there. Like the ones that look for listening devices. Thing is GPS doesn't put out a whole lot of power to detect. A search of the car should turn it up. I would drive around and park at every massage place in town.

mark46th
08-30-2013, 08:02
Tell him to turn off the GPS in his phone...

MR2
08-30-2013, 08:04
Tell him to turn off the GPS in his phone... ;)

Old Dog New Trick
08-30-2013, 08:15
Send the car to NK Auto Body and inform Kim Jong Un, problem solved! :D

Roguish Lawyer
08-30-2013, 08:21
Thanks for all the suggestions -- the guy is already breaking up with the woman and this is a potential palimony litigation issue, needs to hire someone to do it for him.

But maybe I'll search my own truck now, LOL . . .

craigepo
08-30-2013, 08:24
My secretary just had a similar issue; she thought a guy was tracking her with some gadget, turned out she had purchased a new cell phone and had not correctly set her facebook settings. So, every time she logged onto facebook, her location popped up.

The sheriff came out, and told her that, essentially, any type of gps tracker located on a car has to have a clear shot at the sky, i.e. top of the car, under a windshield wiper, etc.

Personally, I would be more worried about some of the boyfriend tracking apps that get covertly downloaded onto a smartphone. The recent issue with the Brazilian app comes to mind. The only way to get rid of one of those is to totally wipe your smartphone and start over.

Damn technology makes it tough to get away with anything anymore.

alelks
08-30-2013, 08:25
I almost forgot. Don't forget to check the dome light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ne9v9Kcts

Joker
08-30-2013, 08:57
1. Sell the elfing car, now not next week
2. don't tell the ex
3. don't park it where she would have access to it
4. hire a couple of SF'ers to pull counter surveillance on him
5. If 4 is accomplished go to very seedy locals

Team Sergeant
08-30-2013, 10:25
Thanks for all the suggestions -- the guy is already breaking up with the woman and this is a potential palimony litigation issue, needs to hire someone to do it for him.
But maybe I'll search my own truck now, LOL . . .

I'm free at the moment....;)

JJ_BPK
08-30-2013, 12:45
I have a client in San Diego who thinks his girlfriend placed a tracking device on his car. Anyone know of an individual or firm who could check the car for the existence/nonexistence of such a device? PM me if you have any suggestions, thanks.

It may not be that easy to determine.

Assuming she was with him for more than 20 minutes, she had the time to collect and link to several different "trackers", or if she has geek friends.

1)OnStar for GM products, if she knows the vehicle's ID. Same with the other brands. Most all have in vehicle transmit/receive black boxes,, even if you did pay for it.

2)Isheeple or android products, Several aps that will track your friends for you.

3)What Al said,, It's probably the most expensive, but if the ROI warrants the cost,, go for it..

Good luck to your client..

The Reaper
08-30-2013, 12:48
Or he could just park it in a safe zone for a week or two and rent another car.

TR

Paslode
08-30-2013, 15:53
These devices are available online, and one plugs into the diagnostics receptacle,

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/gps+tracking/vehicle+tracking+devices.do?gclid=CPi53-CTprkCFcdr7AodJGQAfA

Roguish Lawyer
09-11-2013, 15:51
Thanks for all the replies, this is taken care of.

Sdiver
09-11-2013, 18:08
..... this is taken care of.

Gotchya ....

SF18C
09-11-2013, 18:28
http://www.gotrack.com/

These guys have a ODB port model and hard wired model...also doesn't have to have a "clear shot" to the sky either.

Bottom line, if the device is not wired to the car battery then the device must have an internal batter and its life is limited!

Don't operate the car, change out the phone and "de-IT" oneself to operate without the digital trail when conducting movement or operations.

FlagDayNCO
09-27-2013, 07:32
We use them in several applications, all covertly mounted inside the dashboard. I've watched the mechanics do an install in less than a few minutes, and take one out in less than 60 seconds. No external antenna- nothing that is visible.

With so many vehicles having GPS and satellite radio, these are impossible to detect unless you rip the car apart. Many vehicles are pre-wired for GPS and satellite radios, so the antennas are already there.

Most likely, the unit would have to be hard wired which is accomplished with two suitcase connectors to tap into the vehicle electrical system. Or an available plug, if the installer knows the internal layout of the vehicle. There are plugs that allow the device to be plugged in-line with a vehicle plug, sort of acting like a parasite to the vehicle electrical system.

There are models that track and do not transmit. They "wake up" when pinged with a specific frequency, allowing download and system status. This would mean someone has to get near the vehicle, which is usually done in a parking lot.

If the factory alarm system is the one installed, even better, as the professionals that do this have the capability to pick up the signals and override the system, allowing silent entry.

GPSNorthAmerica is the provider we use. Our mechanics just do the installation/ removal.

blue02hd
09-27-2013, 08:18
Thanks for all the suggestions -- the guy is already breaking up with the woman,,,,,,,,,,,

Is she hot?

Roguish Lawyer
09-27-2013, 08:47
Is she hot?

Excellent question. No. But you'd probably hit her anyway. ;)

PedOncoDoc
09-27-2013, 09:20
Excellent question. No. But you'd probably hit her anyway. ;)

Hit her, or hit it? :D

Big difference.

MR2
09-27-2013, 12:46
Hit her, or hit it? :D

Big difference.

Not to Blue...